1 Attachment(s)
Possible tempo support for Live Shows coming soon...
Possible tempo support for Live Shows coming soon...
Attachment 45699
Although CMB makes a very good case for not "needing" tempo capabilities in LSX, I personally feel that no tool should be hidden from the artist... So here is a sneak-peek at tempo control with LSX.
I prefaced this with "possible" because tempo based live clip playback is not at all officially supported in LSX. I have it working perfectly here, though it is using a magic "timeline constant" which I only figured out through measurement techniques, and don't know if it scales across individual systems (I would love input from DrLava on this magical timeline constant).
More testing is needed.
Anyway, with this setup, you launch the APC40 Max app that I have created, then load in the included LSX Template in LSX for creating live shows that has the timeline speed midi math already created.
Features:
- Tap Tempo - set the tempo by the familiar "tap tempo" method - uses a statistical algorithm to average out button presses on the tap tempo button.
- Manual Tempo Entry - you can use your mouse to manually enter a tempo - drag on the 1's column to change the 1's value. Drag on the 10th's column to change its value. Any tempo changes will update the playback speed in LSX in real-time. You can also use the APC's tempo knob to change the tempo. Rotating will inc/dec by 1 BPM. Holding shift while rotating will inc/dec by 1/10th BPM
- Every press of a clip-launch (playback or midi-note) button on the APC40 or inside LSX will re-sync that clip to the current tempo.
- Sync Button - every press of the Sync button will restart the clock allowing MIDI clock visual sync with the music - this doesn't effect LSX playback speed.
- Quantization Values - Once you have established your tempo (BPM) - you can set the quantization value, i.e., the value at which LSX will use as it's loop length in a live show. A value of 1 BAR will make LSX loop at 4 beats per measure. A value of 1/16 will make LSX loop at every 16th note, and so on.
I know teasers suck... but hopefully I will release this little doohickey in the next couple of days... Also, I might get fired because I spent way too much time on this... and I need to get back on a day-time schedule ASAP.
SELEM LSX Tips and Tricks August 2014
At SELEM 2014, Swamidog, Lulighttec and I gave an informal talk about some of the lesser known features of LSX. Unfortunately the use of a single camcorder didn't allow us to capture close-ups of the screen, speakers and laser output so it is a bit difficult to see. The audio is cleaned up as best I could, but still isn't great by any means. This said, I hope those LSX users will still be able to get the gist of it.
Thanks to everyone at SELEM who took the time out to share some of their knowledge!
-David
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTCYGK9t4no