Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser pointer posts

Default Laser pointer posts

this is a double post, as this was a reply i posted in another thread. But i think its important, so I am posting here also.--

I think we need to be a *little less* "attacking" toward new comers here about the whole pointer issues. TRUST ME, i am annoyed as hell with the whole pointer situation right now also. But i think it be best if we try to educate rather than immediately jump on someone for making a reference toward a pointer.

Our community here (for the most part) is much more educational than many of the other forums out there. If we turn new members off due to our sarcasm and/or "attack" on them regarding laser pointers, it is a potential person we could have corrected when they ask a question.

All of us here know that burning tape with lasers is boring and WAAAAAY beyond what 99% of us do with our coherent light. But try to remember back to that very first time we got a "hot" beam in our hands. we *ALL* burned the shit out of EVERYTHING!!!

Education and direction is the #1 deterent (sp?) to start changing the way people use pointers.

--ok, after school special pep talk over!--

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Well said, Marc. I would agree. I think the most important thing is to welcome new users. To be friendly and helpful, but at the same time, let those new users know why we discourage pointer use and what we are really about. Most of us here use lasers for safe display use, as well and lab use and some holography (Jem). I think if we explain that better, perhaps we won't look like a bunch of grumpy old farts.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Damn, I was just starting to get used to being a grumpy old fart

Yes Marc, in fact I was going to post a similar thing, and this coming from someone who just LOVES a bit of web arguing!
    Some stuff recently has been a bit strong I thought.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

You mean we have to stop secretly burning the new pointer members and stop popping their balloons?
    This space for rent.

I think he means, stop being so public about it
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Nod. I'll crawl back under my rock.
    This space for rent.

Agreed. I've seen the way some of the users here have jumped on new members over this issue, and it makes PL look like an awful place to be honest. I don't think that's how the admin, or many people here want this place to appear.

I can make a bet that EVERY single user on this forum has touched a laser pointer at some point in their life. A new member wants to share their newest addition, let them, I think it's childish when people start flaming them out on a post in which they've done nothing wrong.

There is nothing that says PL is a scanner only forum, and if people want it to be that way, then say so on the front page. Don't start flaming the shit out of new users over something that they aren't warned about beforehand.

I think "flaming" is a strong term for independent thoughts being expressed in response to provocative pointer pushing! I like the fact that free speech allows us the opportunity to share opinions, even if they might not be agreeable to all. Provided this exchange of views doesn't degenerate to trolling, what harm can there be in having a bit of a dig at the stereotypical black tape burners? No animosity intended, but if you you're going to proliferate photonic match lighting, surely a bit of a WTF is warranted?! Lighten up princesses, let's have a bit of fun without taking things too seriously

Just reading through that thread in the product review section, I don't see anything but flaming. Sure, some joking around and humor as well, but when you're the subject of it, it definitely doesn't come through that way.

Not to mention the number of times "Wrong forum" was brought up. Where does it say laser pointers can't be discussed here? "Wrong forum" is subjective to other peoples opinion, because there is nothing saying "No laser pointers" anywhere on PL. You mention free speech, yeah that's fine, however that also means that if people wish to post pointer reviews, they should have any say they want as well, however they're put down by a avalanche of people on the "Everyone with a pointer are retina burning irresponsible kids" bandwagon. While it may be true some of the time, I can assure you there are many people with pointers I'd trust just as much as people here. Irresponsible laser shows take place all the time. Infact, most people here do own pointers. Just look up some of the LEM videos and pictures.