Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Berlin Lasers

Lightbulb

Hey Bud -

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    ya know every time i see DSLjohn, steve, clandestiny and some of you other ion gods throw some of this knowledge out here i REALLY get upset at myself for not getting involved with ion systems!!
    WELL - ya wanna TRADE?? Say, 1-2W of RGB for one of these puppies? ... Still gotz one FS...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09185.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	358.3 KB 
ID:	14262

...I can even hook you up with a single-phase switcher-supply, so you can irritate your wife everytime she wants to cook (and the stove is unplugged... again...

...C'mon, Marc - you know you want-to... just L O O K at all those niiice liinezz....

.. and for the 'record' I am by no-means an 'ion-God' - I am, at-best, a 'journeyman'... THIS is an Ion God ...and THIS is an Ion God.. and Clan is an Ion God, if-for no other reason, than that he has one of everything, does billable-things with 110 W of Argon (!) and has a CVL longer than most of our cars... ...but I will be happy to lead you in the 'ways of the Ion', Grasshopper...

peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I'm willing to bet that the source of 628nm is a SFM of 1535 and 1064.

Hey Bart -

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    I'm willing to bet that the source of 628nm is a SFM of 1535 and 1064.
    Hmm....interesting thought, but I would think it would be much, much easier to use a KTP-pumped dye, since they said they were achieving the 'yellows and oranges' by 'mixing' 628 (which a dye will do all day long, with the right 'dye mix') with 532, which, you'd have, inherently, in a KTP-pumped dye - and it should not be too hard to get the 'color-mix' just-right, by varying your deck-optics - it would seem an easer job to 'get' a yellow/orange that way (since you've essentially got both lines lasing in the same resonance-path, as-in an ion, in a KTP-pumped-dye...) rather than trying to 'converge' SFM-generated 628 with another-source of 532... you'd likely get beam-separation over that long a distance, with twin-sources... just my thinking on it...

cheers...
    j

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    i have been staring at the beam pictures relfecting off of the mirrors from this post forever. it is hypnotizing!
    ..well, get yerself a TOWEL, and stare at THIS!!! -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3YUEmdvtjk ..and then, THIS!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiRhejN_dAk (just don't let the wifey catch you... )

...now, how about that Ion-trade?...

peace..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 02-09-2010 at 02:22.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post

you'd likely get beam-separation over that long a distance, with twin-sources... just my thinking on it...
    When SFM is used to create 628, SHG of 1064 could be used in the same cavity to obtain 532.

When you look carefully at the pictures you can see that the orange/yellow beams are not exactly collinear. So we might both be wrong

If two beams overlap perfectly in the near-field then the divergence between the beams has to be less than the divergence of the beams themselves to remain overlapping in the far field. :-S

hey Bart -

When SFM is used to create 628, SHG of 1064 could be used in the same cavity to obtain 532.
    Sure, of course, but along the same resonance-path? (as-in a KTP/Dye..?) It would be great to see a layout drawing of how that would work... Interesting thinking, though...

When you look carefully at the pictures you can see that the orange/yellow beams are not exactly collinear. So we might both be wrong
    Yeah, like even Ar / Kr lines coming out of the same resonator will have slightly-different divergence-chars... but, they're typically so-close, you'll not see anything but a perfectly-converged spot, as the end-result... I am sure there'd be a fair-amount of 'disparity' between the KTP and Dye-beams, though travelling-down the same resonance-path... but I'd think - as with an Ar/Kr ion - those issues would be less than converging two, independent beam-sources - even if from within the same 'cavity' - via dichroics, etc...

...Not saying your idea is 'wrong', I just don't know enough about what it would take to make 628 + 532 from a SFM/SHG-layout to think it thru - how you'd get all those lines from, essentially, the same 'resonance-path', from such a deck...

...Cool discussion...
    peace...
    j

I agree, If they wanted to create a multi-watt orange line using SFM, 593 might be less complicated by sum-mixing 1064 and 1535 (both yag lines).

On the other hand, a watt of orange composed of red and green has less lumious flux then a watt of 593.
    So instead of a 15W mixed beam of 628 and 532, they could have used a 10W 593 beam.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

628 99% for sure came from a fiber laser sum frequency mixed with 1064. I've found two companies that make them, but not at 10 watts through...

One path into the laser show biz is to have enough clout at a university or corporation to borrow a lab laser....Since I had to keep the university lasers running 24/7/365 , I never did it...., preferring to use units the taxpayers did NOT pay for.

Since this is a world class art piece , I'm sure the artists laser friends had no problems borrowing state of the art.... Germany is more suited to funding that kind of thing then the US
    And the Germans take Laser seriously, very seriously...

A second choice would be a Jenlas or two ... See:

http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las...s/rgb-dpss.pdf

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-09-2010 at 05:25.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

John-

you're KILLIN me!!!

lol. if i had the room and the power for that, i probably would consider it!! I really think i need at least 1 ion system!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

.. and for the 'record' I am by no-means an 'ion-God' - I am, at-best, a 'journeyman'... THIS is an Ion God ...and THIS is an Ion God.. and Clan is an Ion God, if-for no other reason, than that he has one of everything, does billable-things with 110 W of Argon (!) and has a CVL longer than most of our cars... ...but I will be happy to lead you in the 'ways of the Ion', Grasshopper...

peace..
    j[/QUOTE]

I am NOT a God. That is Yahweh-Jehova-Jesus,-God's job. (insert name of your faith's deity here if offended, Satan need not apply!)

I am a lifelong learner who likes to teach. I Study, Use, Modify and Repair lasers, these guys developed them:

These guys are the heros when it comes to Ion. In no particular order....

Bridges
    Hobart
    McMahan
    Medford
    Bell
    Bloom
    Peterson
    LaBuda
    Carlson
    Miller
    Wright
    Mohler
    Crane
    Kolb
    Ostler
    Cannon
    Barker
    Cullins
    Buzzard
    and many more...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...