Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: regular single mode fiber as a lasing medium

Default regular single mode fiber as a lasing medium

All you need is 50 miles!
    http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journa...on.2010.4.html

The results presented are somewhat broadband and inefficient compared to DPSS, nonetheless it's an interesting novel application of nonlinear optics properties.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    All you need is 50 miles!
    http://www.nature.com/nphoton/journa...on.2010.4.html

The results presented are somewhat broadband and inefficient compared to DPSS, nonetheless it's an interesting novel application of nonlinear optics properties.
    Wavelength?. ASE suppression?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

am I wrong or is it basically the same as a RASER (rainbow amplified spontaneous emission)

why couldn't solar-pumped drops of water generate a random feedback network over the path of the light and offer spontaneous amplification of parts of the pump? (just tinkering)

random lasers make me think about chaos, and about the fact that we are getting closer and closer to explanations which are still in the science-fiction domain (chaos interactions in the universe leading to spontaneous order)

hard to express in english for me though...

I've mixed a dye with foggy, nearly opaque gooey, stuff and watched it lase, was using the dye as a tracer pumped by a lexel 88 in a lab. A PhD observed it 6 months before me and published the effect...

Steve

lol, it is close to an idea I had of mixing dyes with fog liquid and scanning bluray to get it to fluoresce (I never gave it a try though because of obvious fog machine cleaning issues)

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    lol, it is close to an idea I had of mixing dyes with fog liquid and scanning bluray to get it to fluoresce (I never gave it a try though because of obvious fog machine cleaning issues)
    Rhodamine didn't make it through the fogger in small amounts, less then 1 gram in 1 litre of fog solution. . But it is used for pyro smoke bombs. If we were at 5-10% R6G, we might be talking.

I tried it for you :-) And had to clean the machine twice with vinegar in water. Dont ever stand down stream with vinegar in the fogger... WORSE then tear gas.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    Not to mention some of those dies are toxic. I really think it would make for some cool effects. Especially if you have a few different dyes swirling around.

yeah, I initially bought my rhodamine and methylene blue for dyeing smoke bombs, along with 10Kg of KNO3 and various other chemicals (bentonite is COOL, even not ball-milled and precipitated)

I'm sad because I don't have any green lasers which would be powerful enough to lase them (I only have less than 200mW of green power)

if you know of a wavelength at which they would lase without a nozzle and/or watts of treshold power, please tell me

You can lase R6G in a flash lamp pumped rig without needing flowing dye (And the flash lamp can be capacitor a discharge in low pressure AIR), and it will lase super-radiantly (even without mirrors) if pumped with a nitrogen laser (dead easy to build).

Low PRF dye is almost the simplest laser to build (after nitrogen, and the florescent plastics you can sometimes lase with a nitrogen laser pump), and has the advantage of lasing at visible wavelengths (unlike the UV of the nitrogen laser).

Regards, Dan.

yes, I know the superradiant thing and already tried that, but I was looking for a CW pump relatively available (aka 405nm, 642nm, 650nm or common IR wavelengths)