Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Dye Laser pumped with DPSS...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    a - Why?
    Because it would be sweet! Besides, if you want to do this two photon excitation stuff it doesn't hurt to compress your pulse of photons in time.

b- How would measure it?
    FROG is cool. I think I would start with auto correlation.

c- What do you need it for?
    See A. I'm pretty sure if I had one I would come up with a reason I needed it!

Autocorrelation isn't as hard as it seems, if you can build an interferometer you can probably get a suitable autocorrelator working, plus calibration is super easy!

As to getting a femtosecond laser working, the level of difficulty would depend greatly on how close to a femtosecond you are looking for, if anything <100ps works for you just about any kind of modelocked laser would do it, if you want to be in the <10ps regime you have to start thinking a bit harder, for <1ps your choice of host materials starts to drop (basically to ti:saph or er:glass), for the <100fs you are down to *very* carefully designed erbuim or ti:saphs. I don't think there is anything does below 10fs...

Plus keep in mind if you want any real power you are going to have to amplify your seed, which does nasty things to your pulse width. I have a 150mw 80fs laser at work, which is a passively mode locked erbuim with a nice EDFA on the output, which was one of the best femtosecond lasers we could find.

i love internet threads...you can go from this...

I scored a Laserscope model 630 dye laser on ebay for cheap, I am wondering if it is possible to use 5-10W of CW green to pump it and get a couple watts of red out? Does the Q-Switching make a big difference?

to this...

Autocorrelation isn't as hard as it seems, if you can build an interferometer you can probably get a suitable autocorrelator working, plus calibration is super easy!

As to getting a femtosecond laser working, the level of difficulty would depend greatly on how close to a femtosecond you are looking for, if anything <100ps works for you just about any kind of modelocked laser would do it, if you want to be in the <10ps regime you have to start thinking a bit harder, for <1ps your choice of host materials starts to drop (basically to ti:saph or er:glass), for the <100fs you are down to *very* carefully designed erbuim or ti:saphs. I don't think there is anything does below 10fs...

Plus keep in mind if you want any real power you are going to have to amplify your seed, which does nasty things to your pulse width. I have a 150mw 80fs laser at work, which is a passively mode locked erbuim with a nice EDFA on the output, which was one of the best femtosecond lasers we could find.

I thinks we just like talkin bout lazers...haha
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

If you have access to 3p and water I might still have the D shaped high reflectors for modelocking a 1+ meter class argon. My buddy should still have the brewster angle A/O crystal for it.

The d shaped optic means that both optics are high reflectors, the flat part of the D is where a standard optic has about 1/3 of its area sliced off so the intracavity AO can deflect the beam out of the cavity.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    If you have access to 3p and water I might still have the D shaped high reflectors for modelocking a 1+ meter class argon. My buddy should still have the brewster angle A/O crystal for it.

The d shaped optic means that both optics are high reflectors, the flat part of the D is where a standard optic has about 1/3 of its area sliced off so the intracavity AO can deflect the beam out of the cavity.

Steve
    haha, well for modelocking you need a high transmitter OC (which is a about 20%) for argon, you will need the D shaped mirror for cavity dumping. What you can do is cavity dump just the argon and get nanos or you can mode lock it and dump that train of nanos...but for a good time mode lock the argon pump a dye laser then match the cavity length of the dye laser to the mode locked argon laser now you have a sync pumped system down in the pico second region (about 80), flop a cavity dumper on that then you dump a pico train, then pump a fiber grating pulse compressor and yo are in the fempto second range (about 800 fs)...NOW THAT IS SOME OLD SCHOOL STUFF RIGHT THERE!!! That was my baby for years.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

if someone is interested, I have what appears to be some kind of pulse compressor, don't know what it was made for, but appears to be of nice condition

if someone knows its value, please tell me by PM

here is an attached drawing of its construction

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    here is an attached drawing of its construction

Aaaaa .... Stonehenge ?

Piotr.K

lol, that doesn't speak for itself indeed... I noticed I inverted the prism section and updated the pic with a probable beampath

Quote Originally Posted by LesioQ View Post
    Aaaaa .... Stonehenge ?

Piotr.K

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH good one!!!!
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay