Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Anodizing.... Success!!

Nice!

What current and voltage did you use?

I think home anodizing is on almost every laser and cnc-tinkerers to-do list!

Great Job, Thank you for all of the pictures! I am tempted to give it a try, I was about to setup a small electroforming bench for copper, adding in anodizing doesn't seem too much harder.

Edit: After a little thought, it would be easier and cheaper to send it to you once you get things going!

-Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 02-22-2010 at 05:16.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Lightbulb

Hey Adam -

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    awsome job!

i feel a mini production line coming along to do other small jobs for people off PL
    Couldn't say it better myself, so, yeah, exactly what Andy said! ...Will def be in touch...

Listen - we recently cleaned-house at Laser Images, cause of the offices-move (scaled the machine shop waay down - sad, sad day... and I found a bunch of chemicals, I presume were used in metal-prep, etc - several gallons of "Aqua Ammonia", used for acid neutralization, yes? A jar of pure Zinc powder - (yikes!) a bottle of sulfuric acid, couple bottles of blueing, and cleaner, and a small bottle of sodium hydrox...

I know I can't ship any of this to ya, but rather than just give it to some chemical co. to dispose of, if we can figure out some logical way to get it to you (we might have a gig up your way later this year; waiting on confirmation...) you want the stuff? free to a good home...

lemme know - no biggie, either way...
    peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Cool. Is there some kind of publicly available procedure you followed?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I'm in for the zinc, useful stuff and not hazmat to ship..

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

That looks very nice! I was under the impression that anodizing was tricky and messy, but that looks very simple and clean. What acid and concentration did you use?

Congrats, Evil Adam! The end result looks perfect! I have a feeling you just opened the floodgates to a little side business for yourself...

Adam

Thats very impressive,
    Thanks!

Looks great!!

I have to pick up some stuff from the anodizer tomorrow. $65 setup charge and about .25c per part. Week and a half wait...

I might have to give this a go myself.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    I knew you could figure it out...Great Job Adam!!
    Thanks for pushing me over the hill, Pat. I'm glad I did it for myself. I love learning new things.

Quote Originally Posted by rgb-gas View Post
    GREAT JOB i have a few mobolazer parts i had made that need a dip if you start something let me know
    Thanks! I'll let you know when I'm all set up.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    awsome job!

i feel a mini production line coming along to do other small jobs for people off PL
    Thanks! Yeah, I know a lot of people would like to have their small parts anodized.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    Excellent job, well done.
    Thanks! Didn't think it would have turned out nearly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lasersbee View Post
    Nice work... so that's how it's done...
    Thanks for sharing the method you used and the great pics..

Jerry
    Thanks! I just read a whole bunch and summarized on what steps I should take.

Quote Originally Posted by -=Jim=- View Post
    Looks great Adam. I hope you proceed with a larger scale operation. I have searched in the past to get some small parts anodized and have never been able to find anyone.

Jim
    Thanks! I'll put you on the list!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexat8 View Post
    Hello Adam,
    That looks really good, what sort of dye were you using. Was looking into this a while back, and read that clothes dye works well, although the process was slightly different to the one that your using.

Cheers

Lex
    Yeah, It's funny because I had everything in my lab to do it except aluminum hanging wire. I actually used RIT clothing dye and it worked great. I'm still considering switching to an industrial dye and nickel acetate sealer but if this is what I can expect from clothing dye,,, It Rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    That looks really good Adam. Nice job.

I had thought of trying it; my work schedule thought otherwise.
    Thanks! It's actually pretty easy. Hard to mess up in my opinion. Only thing I don't like about it is the caustics and acids.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Nice work Adam, if you start offering this service, I'll have a few things that need to get done soon.
    Thanks! I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by dar303 View Post
    Nice!

What current and voltage did you use?

I think home anodizing is on almost every laser and cnc-tinkerers to-do list!
    I used a variable lab supply in order to play with voltage and current. For this piece I tried keeping the current between 1.5 and 2A With a voltage of 12V starting and finishing around 18V. The anodizing layer actually becomes an insulator as it forms which requires a little more voltage to keep the current consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    Great Job, Thank you for all of the pictures! I am tempted to give it a try, I was about to setup a small electroforming bench for copper, adding in anodizing doesn't seem too much harder.

Edit: After a little thought, it would be easier and cheaper to send it to you once you get things going!

-Adam
    Thanks! I'd highly recomment anyone who wants to give this a try to just do it! It was easy for me since I had all the chemicals and tools here but a little investment is well worth the experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Adam -

Couldn't say it better myself, so, yeah, exactly what Andy said! ...Will def be in touch...

Listen - we recently cleaned-house at Laser Images, cause of the offices-move (scaled the machine shop waay down - sad, sad day... and I found a bunch of chemicals, I presume were used in metal-prep, etc - several gallons of "Aqua Ammonia", used for acid neutralization, yes? A jar of pure Zinc powder - (yikes!) a bottle of sulfuric acid, couple bottles of blueing, and cleaner, and a small bottle of sodium hydrox...

I know I can't ship any of this to ya, but rather than just give it to some chemical co. to dispose of, if we can figure out some logical way to get it to you (we might have a gig up your way later this year; waiting on confirmation...) you want the stuff? free to a good home...

lemme know - no biggie, either way...
    peace..
    j
    Hey Jon! Chemistry is also one of my hobbies. I'd be glad to take those chems off your hands if you happen to be in town and it works out for you. I'll also put you on the list of anodizing seekers.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    Cool. Is there some kind of publicly available procedure you followed?
    Yeah, Here are a few of the good links I studied...

http://www.focuser.com/anodize.html

http://coloured.net/designresources/anodize.html

http://www.thefintels.com/aer/homealuminumanodizing.htm

I just gathered info from all three sites and went from there.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I'm in for the zinc, useful stuff and not hazmat to ship..

Steve
    Steve needs some zinc!