Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Removing two metal plates bonded together by epoxy ?

Just to answer the doctor: how am i going to put it back together ?
    I won't !

Ok, i can reveal now what i tried. This was a 2.4W red module from RGB lasersystems.
    When i bought it i didn't know JACK about lasers, i was told it was 600mW of 635.
    I thought this was really good and high power.
    The beams where relatively fat but not real real bad and good visible.
    I felt a bit taken by the fact that after i bought it they told me it could do way more than 600 in "the good old days" like 1.8W orso.... basically i felt pushed over....buying of dying lasers.
    (This was not from RGB lasersystems directly let me put that straight, those guys gave me a lot of info on how they built lasers so don't get me wrong, it was a company in Holland...)

I decided to take it apart and replace the 8 c-mounts for 8 DVD burner diodes to get like 1.6W or more out after optics. But the lenses are for multimode diodes and the dvd burner diodes are single mode i thought. At least i wasn't able to focus the open cans with those lenses.
    At PLS in Frankfurt i talked to the nice fella's of RGB and they told me all this stuff.

I will now send them some pictures of the 8 channel driver and the promised to send me details on what each pot does (so i can use this 8 channel driver plus tec) in future projects.
    The 2 pcb's are a bit big, but work.... and i might be able to split them up in a 4 channel with tec and a 4 channel without tec ;-)

So i basically demolished a slightly underpowered but working red laser ;-(
    But do have some cool optics, i still want to try and place 8 Aixiz mounts with glass lenses in front of them and experiment, all the mirrors seem to be spot welded on the baseplate.
    So if i manage to shine in 8 diodes after removing the multimode lenses i will have some kind of setup.

At this moment i will finish my 'selfbuilt' hobby red with 4 diodes first (really am scared if i will be able to align it....so keep pushin' it forward , tomorrow i will spent some time on it.
    After that i want to built a CNC machine and finish the lifting of my red and green with 2 mm in my projector to match the blue to be perfect aligned for the UKLEM meeting ;-)

Thanks anyone who responded, i might take some pictures of the parts that will be on the shelf for the next hobby project ;-)
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Occularis had the right people, Devcon is the place to go.

Here's a link direct to the liquid metal putty page. Just hover over the "products" heading to get a pop up list of all the putties available.

There are several designed for different products / strength of joints eg Aluminium, Stainless, Titanium, bronze, metal, underwater etc

Link: http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...tal%20Surfaces

There's also another company called bezola but I'm dammed if I can find them!
    Ok, thanks, so metal loaded epoxy.. which I already know about, (and I have some 'Arctic Silver' stuff which was cheap on eBay). Never tried it yet because I didn't want to commit to the parts I was bonding until I was sure I had got as good as I was going to get.

Hobbybob, the point is: what did you see? Did you really see a desoldered metal joint? or did you see a viscous metal loaded epoxy breaking down from the heat? If there is any chance that what you saw was NOT a metal loaded epoxy, I want to find out what it was.

Unless there are 2 products with the same name, Artic Silver is a heat transfer compound used for seating heatsinks on CPU's. There's nothing finer for heat transfer with non conductance. However it doesn't set.

Check it out, I promise you it exists.
    Arctic Silver comes in two forms, a silicone grease with silver powder loading (instead of alumina as usual), and an epoxy also with silver powder.

Choosing between epoxies with metal in them is all on one side of the room until it's established whether there's some neat and effective direct metal bond between Al and Cu. Hobbybob says he saw one and described it as like melting solder when heated. I'm not so sure, he might have seen a heat-weakened epoxy. But if he did see pure metal then a lot of people ought to be checking it out. No DIY-laser person would be totally without a use for it.

I have repaired engine crank cases with this stuff, it is amazing

http://www.belzona.com/prod1k.aspx
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I have repaired engine crank cases with this stuff, it is amazing

http://www.belzona.com/prod1k.aspx
    That was the other one I couldn't find. Cheers Doc.