Thread: Projector Warmup Frame for LD-2000

Default Projector Warmup Frame for LD-2000

Here's an idea. I find my projector works best after the galvos and the green and blue DPSS lasers have warmed up. (I'm sure most of you agree) Is there a way to keep the shutter closed in LD-2000 during a frame? If so, we can and have a show that plays for 15 minutes with the blue and green at max output and the scanners running a workout program. What do ya think?

I have a switch on my projector that forces the shutter closed even if the controller is trying to open it. (It's a SPDT switch that disconnects the shutter signal from the driver and instead connects the driver input to ground.) Just load up the laser media test pattern (all white) and flip the switch...

As far as over-riding the shutter signal in software though - that had better be impossible...

Adam

I had an idea for something like this a while back, still haven't gotten the chance to implement it yet. Basically, you have a circuit that monitors the shutter line, when the shutter is low for a pre-determined length of time, 1-10 seconds, it sends the color channels high. As soon as it sees the shutter line go high the color channels go back to running from modulation input.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I have a switch on my projector that forces the shutter closed even if the controller is trying to open it. (It's a SPDT switch that disconnects the shutter signal from the driver and instead connects the driver input to ground.) Just load up the laser media test pattern (all white) and flip the switch...

As far as over-riding the shutter signal in software though - that had better be impossible...

Adam
    I can't imagine this software function would be impossible or dangerous. thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I had an idea for something like this a while back, still haven't gotten the chance to implement it yet. Basically, you have a circuit that monitors the shutter line, when the shutter is low for a pre-determined length of time, 1-10 seconds, it sends the color channels high. As soon as it sees the shutter line go high the color channels go back to running from modulation input.
    I like it! Simple enough to design and build and solves the issue.

Just an FYI-

Shutter circuits no longer need to be wired in line with your ILDA connectors. In fact, the certified enclosures all have inputs for shutters completely separate from the ILDA input. (1/4" input).

reason for this is quite simple...

back in the days of ions, yes, the systems were always lasing. If someone kicked the cable out of your projector, you can have a big problem. This is why the systems were required to have the shutter looped through the software and ILDA connector 13 (or 4 and 17). If this line was broken, shutter activated.

well, now adays, lasers cant lase if they dont receive a 5V signal (or any V signal) if a cord gets kicked out, the laser(s) dont lase.

Now of course im not saying that being overly safe or wiring your shutters the old way is wrong. Im just saying it isnt 100% necessary anymore. As long as there is a shutter in your projector, youre good!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

That's exactly one of many reasons, why I made my own DPSS driver. Some of you already know, it's called PicoDrive DPSS. A module of my PicoDrive family.
    It's very small and also heats the TECs, if necessary. I'm using a CNI laserhead 473nm which is specified with 200mW. I made a lot of measurements and get the best results, as I heated the diode up to 37.5°C! It would be interesting to check it with different laserheads.
    With my laserhead, it takes about 1min after startup. Then the temperature of laserdiode and crystals is ready. The driver only starts the laserdiode, when both temperatures are within a small range (+/- 1°C).

You can find a manual here, but it's in German until now. I'll translate it as soon as possible. There is still much work to do for other PicoDrive modules. Well, I translated some things:

- Supply: 5VDC
    - Modulation input: 0-5V analog, differential or single ended
    - Diode current: up to 8A
    - TEC drivers: 2, heat and cool
    - TEC current: -2.3A to 2.3A (-5V to +5V)
    - Softstart
    - Cathode of diode is GND (so it doesn't matter if the diode is electrically isolated to the housing or not > if housing of diode is cathode)
    - Very small and compact design (84 x 73.5mm)
    - No fan required up to 6A (for normal use up to 8A)
    - It has the same mechanical dimensions like other PicoDrive modules and the same supply voltage, so you can stack and mount them very easy

More modules are coming

Regards, Leander
    Last edited by lucerne; 03-04-2010 at 00:36.

Quote Originally Posted by lucerne View Post
    That's exactly one of many reasons, why I made my own DPSS driver. Some of you already know, it's called PicoDrive DPSS. A module of my PicoDrive family.
    It's very small and also heats the TECs, if necessary. I'm using a CNI laserhead 473nm which is specified with 200mW. I made a lot of measurements and get the best results, as I heated the diode up to 37.5°C! It would be interesting to check it with different laserheads.
    With my laserhead, it takes about 1min after startup. Then the temperature of laserdiode and crystals is ready. The driver only starts the laserdiode, when both temperatures are within a small range (+/- 1°C).

You can find a manual here, but it's in German until now. I'll translate it as soon as possible. There is still much work to do for other PicoDrive modules. Well, I translated some things:

- Supply: 5VDC
    - Modulation input: 0-5V analog, differential or single ended
    - Diode current: up to 8A
    - TEC drivers: 2, heat and cool
    - TEC current: -2.3A to 2.3A (-5V to +5V)
    - Softstart
    - Cathode of diode is GND (so it doesn't matter if the diode is electrically isolated to the housing or not)
    - Very small and compact design (84 x 73.5mm)
    - No fan required up to 6A (for normal use up to 8A)
    - It has the same mechanical dimensions like other PicoDrive modules and the same supply voltage

More modules are coming

Regards, Leander
    I'm Intrigued!

Yes, the biggest problem these OEM drivers have is that they don't have the ability to pull up the temperature for the TEC's to stabilize the diode and SHG crystal. I find that most of my problems can be solved with a hair dryer.... LOL! I'd live to get my hands on one of your drivers and do a test on a Laser-Wave module. Price?

Hi

Well, there are some things you have to check before. It's impossible to make one driver for ALL laserheads.
    Please provide me some infos about your equipment.

At the moment, you can buy it directly by me. In future maybe also from a webshop of a member here.

Price for the PicoDrive DPSS module is 195€ at the moment.

Regards, Leander