Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UV Creating Filter? Such a thing?

Unfortunatly I cant afford a black light at the moment... I just spent about £60 on a moonflower like light with incorporated laser and a T bar lighting truss.

My reason for asking is some of the guests for the 18th party im lighting and semi-DJing (laptop DGing) next weekend if I can bring some UV lights so they can use UV paint.

I would just buy a UV bulb and replace a few bulbs over the dance floor at the venue but I think they will say no to that one... Especially as I need to convince them that smoke machines don't set off fire alarms.
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    I would just buy a UV bulb and replace a few bulbs over the dance floor at the venue but I think they will say no to that one... Especially as I need to convince them that smoke machines don't set off fire alarms.
    Can't hurt to ask to change the bulbs, but you will set off their fire alarm with a smoke machine, so plan on getting kicked out and losing your bulbs...

I always thought smoke machines don't set fire alarms off? At least that's what goolgle tells me.

I always thought smoke machines don't set fire alarms off? At least that's what goolgle tells me.
    Inonisation type detectors are pretty resistant, but photo-electric type are not.

Unfortunately since the smoking ban most detectors have been changed to the latter.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Inonisation type detectors are pretty resistant, but photo-electric type are not.

Unfortunately since the smoking ban most detectors have been changed to the latter.
    Bummer... in that case I will have a chat with them when I go to set up and see what they say. I wasn't intending on flooding the room with smoke, just a burst every now and then.

You can get UV filters, but you need an HID lamp to produce a sufficinetly low wavelength.

By the time you have done this (and lost a lot of light) you may as well buy a proper UV light to start with.

4' Tubes can be had for less than £20 each. These just use a standard strip light fitting.

125W cannon for £50
    Lamp for £8

Cool

HAHA! Tell that to the fire department in Newton, North Carolina. At the very first SELEM (back in 2007) we set the fire alarm off with the very first blast of the fog machine. (Mind you, this was in a 500 seat auditorium with a 40+ ft high ceiling.)

The fire trucks showed up and would not leave until a fireman (fully dressed in bunker gear and scott air pack) walked through the venue with a thermal imaging camera to verify that there was no fire. Talk about embarrassing. At least they didn't charge us for the false alarm.

Trust me - fog machines can most certainly set off fire alarms! At future events, we disabled the phone system on the alarm, so that when the alarm goes off, the fire department doesn't get called.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    HAHA! Tell that to the fire department in Newton, North Carolina. At the very first SELEM (back in 2007) we set the fire alarm off with the very first blast of the fog machine. (Mind you, this was in a 500 seat auditorium with a 40+ ft high ceiling.)

The fire trucks showed up and would not leave until a fireman (fully dressed in bunker gear and scott air pack) walked through the venue with a thermal imaging camera to verify that there was no fire. Talk about embarrassing. At least they didn't charge us for the false alarm.

Trust me - fog machines can most certainly set off fire alarms! At future events, we disabled the phone system on the alarm, so that when the alarm goes off, the fire department doesn't get called.

Adam
    Yikes...

Well I have actually heard back from the venue now and they said no to the smoke machine because it will contaminate food and causes health and safety problems.

Im still going to bring it along and see if I can talk them into it... I wasn't intending on filling the room, only a small burst for lighting effect.

Unfortunatly I cant afford a black light at the moment... I just spent about £60 on a moonflower like light with incorporated laser and a T bar lighting truss.
    If you have a 4ft fluorescent tube holder to hand then a 40W tube can be yours for £14.99: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=20609

Yikes...

Well I have actually heard back from the venue now and they said no to the smoke machine because it will contaminate food and causes health and safety problems.
    You should obtain the certificate for your smoke fluid - I think if you use Martin fluids they have them on their site. Martin fluid is food grade glycol.

As for H&S, try the performing rights web site. They tested smoke for H&S on theatre performers and certified it as safe. The H&S Executive in the UK also certify it safe from memory. I'm sure you can arm yourself with the H&S certification and the Performing Rights Society tests and prove there is no H&S or contamination concerns.

In fact here's the one for Regular DJ fluid (there are one's for every fluid on there): http://www.martinpro.co.uk/service/d...N_C.pdf&cat=80

This should allay any concerns. Here's a quick extract:

Composition/Information on Ingredients
    Contains:
    Food grade glycols
    Polyglycols CAS Registry Number: 57-55-6
    De-mineralised water.
    Contains no substances in Part 1 of the Approved Supply List, or with a maximum exposure
    limit (MEL) specified in Schedule 1 of COSHH.
    Contains monopropylene glycol, for which an occupational exposure standard has been set

3. Hazardous Information:
    No significant hazard to man or environment under normal conditions of handling and use.
    Ingestion: low toxicity.
    Eye/skin: low toxicity
    Inhalation: low concentration of hazardous substances in vapour. Undiluted vapour should not
    be inhaled. (Note: The concentration of smoke components in the final product is below the
    OES under normal operating conditions)
    So have no links to hand but I did once research this out of safety concerns.