Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's the best way to clean mirrors

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

One note of caution regarding cleaning Aluminum coated front surface mirrors, do not use any type alcohol as it reacts with Aluminum. If there is only dust to clean try acetone with the drop and drag method.
    Here's another excellent article on cleaning optics " http://www.cvimellesgriot.com/produc...ningOptics.pdf "[/QUOTE]

End quote.

If you can find a OLD non overcoated mirror in a laser system these days, yes, it can slowly react with aluminum, but for a normal enhanced aluminum mirror with the SiOx overcoat, there is no reaction.. Ethanol, Methanol, or Acetone is fine. Drug store isopropyl, no, as it has a denaturalant and water in it that forms a film.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Laser Warning

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    One note of caution regarding cleaning Aluminum coated front surface mirrors, do not use any type alcohol as it reacts with Aluminum. If there is only dust to clean try acetone with the drop and drag method.
    Here's another excellent article on cleaning optics " http://www.cvimellesgriot.com/produc...ningOptics.pdf "
    End quote.

If you can find a OLD non overcoated mirror in a laser system these days, yes, it can slowly react with aluminum, but for a normal enhanced aluminum mirror with the SiOx overcoat, there is no reaction.. Ethanol, Methanol, or Acetone is fine. Drug store isopropyl, no, as it has a denaturalant and water in it that forms a film.

Steve[/QUOTE]

I only use HPCL Methanol and lab grade Acetone to reduce possible contamination due to additives in lower grade product. An ultrasonic bath comes in handy for cleaning up after cutting optics.

Rick
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010

Default re

hiya everyone

this is a total noob question by the way but here goes:
    iv been a very careless boy and snapped a scanner mirror off and was wondering how everyone manages to re attach them? im finding it so hard. iv manages it but got a really bad output cause the mirror wobbles in the holder.

ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

dont use super glue, use something like a 2 part epoxy. can be purchased from maplin
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

If you actually snapped the mirror then it'll be next to impossible to repair. You'll need to get a replacement mirror. Once you've cleaned out the slot in the galvo shaft, make up a small jig to hold the mirror in place while the epoxy sets. I've got quite good at letting the epoxy go off a bit so you can just position the mirror by hand and it holds itself in place.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I had such a problem too. I attached a previously broken off mirror with epoxy to the part that was still attached, but it broke off again. Thereafter there was too much epoxy on the mirror to be able to work again. I then bought some scanner mirrors.
    But first I had to clean up a huge lot of epoxy and broken glass from the slot. I used a soldering iron for evaporating the glue, but is this really the best way?

Laser Warning

Quote Originally Posted by oliverst14@hotmail.com View Post
    hiya everyone

this is a total noob question by the way but here goes:
    iv been a very careless boy and snapped a scanner mirror off and was wondering how everyone manages to re attach them? im finding it so hard. iv manages it but got a really bad output cause the mirror wobbles in the holder.

ollie
    You will have to remove the old mirror bits and adhesive from the galvo shaft slot. I use an inspection microscope to make sure i did a good job. Make up a jig to hold the galvo and one for the replacement mirror. Do a dry run to make sure the mirror sits in the galvo shaft slot at 90 degree and well centered. I use a 2 part 5 minute epoxy and apply a bit to the shaft slot using a toothpick, then insert the mirror and center it. Make sure it's held in the proper position until the epoxy cures or it could sag and result in a wobbly mirror. Make sure no epoxy leaks down to the galvo bearings/shaft junction.
    Tip: You can extract mirrors from old Quantum Fireball hard disk drives that are part of the tracking system. Those mirrors are just the right size for galvos and they don't leak more than 5% laser radiation at 405nm /457nm or 473nm (basically good across the visible spectrum into near IR).

Good luck
    Profile Redacted by Admin @ 04.24.2010