Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Another project red?

Default Another project red?

Considering the overall outlay, I feel this is possible. Given the fill factor of the diodes, the output should be collimated with achromats to a nice size. The planned footprint of the laser head is 130mm X 145mm, with drivers and all electronics mounted on an exterior PCB inside the driver module assembly. Comments? Just planning stage for now...I may actually build it for kicks and giggles. I was thinking of a PL based project....any other intrest? That way all info would be shared and problems freely discussed and solutions opened. This could also be done on a smaller/larger scale...keeping in mind the final outcome and fill factor at the PBS cube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mecheng3-3 watt red project.JPG  

You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Interesting project. Can you explain how to connect 6 diodes up to the flexmod ?
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

You wire the diodes in parallel, with a 1 ohm, .5 watt resistor in series with each diode to help balance the current between them. You then set the Flex-mod current to be 6X the normal current for an LOC diode.

Adam

do those circles represent the beam, or the lens, or the aixiz modules. I dont see it working but, thats just me. the alignment variables are many, same problem with the aixicon idea.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

The circles represent the beams. With the LOC reds, you end up with a slightly elliptical beam (which is not really easy to see in Mike's illustration above). His diagram is just to illustrate how to best stack the beams to take advantage of this elliptical shape.

As for the alignment - yes, it will be a challenge. I have a quad unit here that Mike assembled, and though it took him a good while to tweak it, it has a very nice beam that is rock stable. But it only makes around 800 mw at the aperture. Potentially this monster he's proposing could output close to 2.5 watts.

Not a project for the faint-hearted, to be sure, but by no means impossible. After all, we all remember this awesome home-made red, right?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    Considering the overall outlay, I feel this is possible. Given the fill factor of the diodes, the output should be collimated with achromats to a nice size. The planned footprint of the laser head is 130mm X 145mm, with drivers and all electronics mounted on an exterior PCB inside the driver module assembly. Comments? Just planning stage for now...I may actually build it for kicks and giggles. I was thinking of a PL based project....any other intrest? That way all info would be shared and problems freely discussed and solutions opened. This could also be done on a smaller/larger scale...keeping in mind the final outcome and fill factor at the PBS cube.
    That seems very cool... I would like to get in on this. I propose a competition...

My idea is to go for most reliable, and easiest to tweak.

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

i feel the words arctos and patent coming on
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    i feel the words arctos and patent coming on
    Well... I don't think they're going to chase me down for a non-profit personal-use project... :P

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

you can lead them to water...but you can't make them drink
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MLL - Photos 065.jpg  

Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    you can lead them to water...but you can't make them drink
    people might wana make their own smaller version though
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat