Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wanting more control

Default wanting more control

hiya all,

iv been using live pro for ages now and im struggling to use alot of the features due to not having a lighting desk setup to do this and get ultimate control. i have a lighting desk from coef sitting around
    http://www.coef.it/Products/Controll...S/Default.aspx

i was wondering if this lighting desk could be used as a controller for live pro? asnd if so how i can acheive this. im guessing it would be using midi somehow but im a complete novice with stuff like this so will need help

i saw a setup used where the engineer was overlaying effects using sliders and i really want that much control, i wanna be able to do everything that live pro is capable of and i cant at the moment with a laptop keyboard and mouse pad.

cheers ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

Aren't you really after some sort of midi control surface rather than a lighting desk?
    Or am I missing something about LivePro and DMX?
    Some lighting desks can be triggered by midi signals going in, but I'm not aware of any that do midi out, usually just 10v and/or DMX

Default re

yes i probably am, i thought that the midi out was able to do this on a lighting desk board. im suprised that manufacturers aint done this as its a waste having all those control buttons and notbeing able to use them with midi.

so norty do u have any info to help me with midi? the only midi interface i can find is the bcf2000 and i want more faders and stuff than that

cheers ollie
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    3 watt rgb .

Quote Originally Posted by oliverst14@hotmail.com View Post
    ... the only midi interface i can find is the bcf2000 and i want more faders and stuff than that.

Hi Ollie

I use a BCF2000 with LivePRO and it's great. In actual fact I sold my Novation to get the BCF2000 as I much prefer it's layout. The only reason I could imagine that you wanted more 'faders and stuff' is that it might look more impressive

Hook a BCF2000 up with a decent sized touchscreen and it can be more that you've ever wanted or would ever need

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Ive got a Kenton Control Freak Studio Edition, imaculate, with power supply & manual for sale.

If your interested....or anyone else?

Default re

iv never heard anything about the bcf2000 mate. so from your expirience its very good? iv wanted a touch screen for along time now and should just get one there not even that much. is it possible to convert my laptop into a touch screen gto save space as i dont really want another screen sitting there aswell as my laptop

i was a bit put off the bcf200o doesnt have actual faders that was all really

ollie
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    3 watt rgb .

Oliver, it looks from the link you provided that your desk does in fact support midi in, out and thru, so there's no reason why you can't map this and connect it to LivePro and use it as your interface. You'll juts need to read up how you set up the midi out, particularly CC messages, and simply connect to your PC. This may be where the trouble starts as you may need to get an interface to support a physical midi connector.
    Most control surfaces designed for computer use run by USB these days, so its a seamless implementation. I would guess your desk is more designed to be plugged into other equipment with midi interfaces.
    You might want to figure out the cost of adding an actual midi port to your laptop/PC before deciding what you want to use.

Also, you say you want lots of faders. What specific parts of LivePro do you plan on using faders for?
    I've found pots to be far more useful.

I use an X-session DJ controller for my knobs as it has 16 which are mapped to the live control tab, plus a 2 octave Evolution keyboard which is mapped for cue triggers. I have a touch screen but this is part of my lighting desk.
    Everything else I simply use the computer keyboard for, F1-F4 are track pauses, F5-F8 are play, pause, stop, F9-F12 are track enable/suspend, and most of anything else I use is on the number pad.
    I've toyed withthe idea of getting something with buttons, but I really don't think I need it.

The BCF is the fader surface, the BCR is the one with rotary controls, BCD is the DJ controller

Quote Originally Posted by oliverst14@hotmail.com View Post
    iv never heard anything about the bcf2000 mate. so from your expirience its very good?
    Well, *I* think it's good, it's easy to get caught up in the hype of products. What is good is what works for *you*.

iv wanted a touch screen for along time now and should just get one there not even that much. is it possible to convert my laptop into a touch screen gto save space as i dont really want another screen sitting there aswell as my laptop
    Firstly no it isn't really possible to convert your laptop to a touchscreen, well not easily anyway.

Secondly, yes, you *do* want another screen sitting by the side of your laptop, especially a touchscreen

A laptop, a touchscreen and a MIDI controller is the very best combination for using with LivePRO and will give you the ultimate flexibility... In my opinion

ollie
    As has already been mentioned the BCF2000 is the controller with the faders, hence the 'F' in the BCF

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

in order to convert a standard laptop screen to touchscreen, you can find on ebay some touchscreen pads to put over the LCD on your screen, then all you have to do is solder the USB connection cable inside your PC on an USB port, and voila!

they have all sorts of sizes, but I never tried it personnaly

The problem with the touchscreen membranes and laptops specifically is that they frequently don't fit beneath the bezel of the screen, meaning they sit proud of the screen, often stopping the lid closing.
    A second monitor is very useful, I've used my laptop with mine quite a bit, and its useful being able to have diff stuff open on diff monitors.
    Am I right in thinking the live control tab can be undocked from the main window so it can go on a regular monitor, leaving just the cues on the touchscreen, or am i thinking of QS?