Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music, Listening or playing...

Hey Enigma,
    I first caught DT when the radio played Pull me under.
    Loved it right away!
    I have a hard time deciding on what is my favorite album.
    Its gotta be a toss up between Awake and Scenes From a Memory
    I got my ibanez because of DT
    I got LTE, and mull muzzler. sets. and Working man, Rush tribute, lotsa DT members on that.
    Yes Rush is one of my all time top bands
    John Petrucci is an outstanding Guitarist. Its like the Guitar is a part of his body.

6 Degrees was a bit of a letdown, but train of thought is nice.
    Music done artisticly is fantastic, not to insult someone or gripe about everything, seems thats all you hear on the radio.
    I find the radio a wasteland.

Mike
    Those who stand for nothing, Will fall for anything.

***sigh***

Crappy valencia........ :cry:

Once upon a long ago I had a BC Rich...tried for a time to learn to play...

Guy I was with at the time played everything by ear, tuned guitars sometimes "drop-G" "D" , various alternate tunings -- he'd hear a song, say by Eric Clapton or whatever, adjust his 12-string to whatever tuning, and have the song...didn't bother recording anything, but would start with the exact song then bend the original song around some, whatever...

Guy this good, figured I'd learn how to play....

Yeahright....

After I made my apartment appear similar to the scene from The Wall's "One of my bad days" I decided that perhaps guitar playing wasn't for me....

At a later time I was in a band...soundboards, backup vocals, "wordsmythe" , and "token female"

Soundboards: no unauthorized feedback went through my console, had control of various pedals : wah, flange, the 8sec digital delay, blah, blah, hooked up and all...you get idea...

Backup vocals: had a range (many cartons of cigarettes ago) which covered both alto and soprano notes (not too shabby)

Wordsmythe - they'd hand me a song and I'd hammer out the lyrics to something that could be sung, even drunk, while at the same time retaining cohesion to the song.

Token female: and MAN they never let me forget it! (argh)

(as it suddenly dawns on me...gee...I'm the token female here, too :P )

To be perfectly honest: we sucked! One kind reviewer put it, "Imagine a private party with Pink Floyd and Bob Dylan, into which Sid Vicious crashed..."

When we sounded good, we sounded great ... but on an "off " night...

What music do I like? All kinds. Queensryche, Queen, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, (some) Aerosmith , Dropkick Murphys, Jet, Linkin Park, Nirvana, Paradise Lost, Mindless Self Indulgence, ... all kinds, most of which, I'm guessing, nobody here would have ever heard of... trust me, if you haven't heard of 'em, you might not like 'em...and if you go hunting down Mindless Self Indulgence for the first time...don't listen to "I'm your problem now" first, or you'll be turned off...go with "Bed of Roses" to get used to them...Marconi knows what I"m talking about lol.
    Responses always welcome...whether intelligent replies or smart answers

Max, I think you would get along amazingly with a friend of mine, very similar music tastes, and a smilar "attitude"
    hes also a ham, N3BUS
    hes gona on drives thru canada on a whim, gone so far north that the stop signs have the inuit pictograms on it. no lettering.
    but i should grab the guitar more often.
    too much dust lately.

hmm if i mounted a LeadL on the head of my guitar.. hmmmmmm
    Those who stand for nothing, Will fall for anything.

Didn't you see that one vidcast of Steve Vai wearing goggles and laser glove?

Leadlight...erm....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Default yay for musician laserists

I've been playing the drums for almost 17 years, I also play the guitar (classical and accoustic mostly) and the tenor saxophone. In a previous decade I played the trombone. Every occasionaly I fool around with computer music (anyone ever heard of All Sound Tracker? you will be my new hero)

Influences ... grew up in the 80's listening to everything from the starship to andres segovia ... dad listened to a lot of steely dan so of course that's in my collection ... then there's james brown, james brown, and james brown 8) ... I could go on for pages of course ...

ha ha... we should form a laserist rock band ... the light shows at our concerts would be totally insane!!

-Josh

Been long time since I've posted: Marconi seems to beat me to the punchline each time...

At any rate...Marconi's a fair hand with bass, there's other musicians around here...

My question is: what would the music sound of? Pink Floyd-esque strains or something more edgy like Taproot or would it be something hybrid like Linkin' Park...

It's true, though...with PL's resources...the lights would be off the charts,for certain......

Heh...okay...my shut up now

Now that there are notes flying about.........ever try out a Boomerang phrase sampler? Its like having your very own backup/rythm guy/gal that is always there...Heh !!! It has been a nice piece in the arsenal. Check one out...I have thought of it as helping out with the one man band thing around here. Carefull though...like my midi dr.rythm section....if you can't stay in time it WILL show you up in a major way.......still enjoyed every time they are powered up.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Heh...I was in a band once where we had an 8-sec digital delay unit w/sampler (I forget manufacturer) - Guy had a 12-string accoustic w/ pickup, he was his own lead/rhytm, patterning echoes off each other.

Heh...was fun to watch...

okies : byenow