Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: For what it's worth...

Default For what it's worth...

This is a true story. The names have been changed to avoid hurt feelings. There once was a probationary laserist name Avo. Avo had an interesting history with the company. He was hired by the new President over the express misgivings of the laserist manager. After training in L.A. for three months Avo was sent off the heartland for a 6 month planetarium gig. The original misgivings had grown during the intervening months, but Avo's employment had developed a political component. The president obviously thought he would lose face if Avo didn't work out.

This is where I enter the story. I was sent to perform the premiere, and "put the finishing touches" on Avo's training as a laserist. Avo and the tech on the installation arrived on site a week early to working up the machine. Avo should have had some time to practice too.

I arrived the morning of the premiere and checked out the projector. There were a couple of little problems that had crept into the system at the last upgrade, and I fixed those. Then I found and wrote down the settings for some of the imagery I would need for the show. Then I ran through the show just to be sure there wouldn't be any problems. Everything was fine, so we went to dinner. We got back about a half hour before show time, and in short order discovered a new problem. The scanners had this whole Brownian movement thing going on. When the owner of the company who was in town for the premiere asked me what I wanted to do I said, "Well, I don't want to cancel the Press Premiere!" So to make a long story just a bit shorter I did the worst show of my life that night…

Oh it turns out that the Brownian movement problem was because of a clamp on the scanamp power supply that finally completely burned out near the end of the premiere. So the next morning I asked Avo to show me his show. It blew chunks. I told him in no uncertain terms that I didn't know what he'd been doing in L.A. or here, but he wasn't even on beat much less getting the hard stuff done. So I spent a joyous week trying to teach Avo how to perform a show.

At the end of the week I called my boss and said, "Avo will never be a laserist." My boss wanted me to let Avo go, hire, and then train a new guy. I told him that my backup couldn't cover for me that long. So he sent another laserist out to work with Avo. The next guy spent a week - then called and said, "Avo will never be a laserist." The next guy was told to let Avo go, hire, and then train a new guy. The new guy complained, "You told me I could do the gig in Detroit." The boss said, "I'm sorry but there nothing I can do under the circumstances." The new guy called the next morning and said, "A miracle happened, Avo can do shows - I'll call you from Detroit."

This was the beginning of a two year experience that proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that some people simply don't have what it takes. Sorry…

Oh, Avo is short for avocado. I asked why and was told it's because he's green on the inside, green on the outside, and there's a big nut in the center.

Thumbs up

cool story, bro..

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    cool story, bro.
    Sounds like ElektroFreak is a Redditor.

The story is interesting, but if it's truly in the past then perhaps names are in order? At the very least, it lends authenticity to the tale.

Adam

I find very little in life more despicable than people whose sole purpose is to discourage others from following their hearts/dreams. Tell me please what other purpose this post has?

I find very little in life more despicable than people whose sole purpose is to discourage others from following their hearts/dreams. Tell me please what other purpose this post has?
    If being a laserist had been in this guy's heart/dreams, AND he was open to learning anything, then working for the premiere laser company in the world (i.e. Laser Images in the early 80s) would have helped. But it wasn't about heart; he just thought it was kinda cool. He was a hack. No doubt HE thought he was good enough, and everybody else was just overly critical. We gave him (as an employee) the instruction some people seem to think is their birthright, and he still sucked.

I learned a long time ago that well meaning people can do evil things. Mainly because what they believe is true - isn't…

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Sounds like ElektroFreak is a Redditor.

The story is interesting, but if it's truly in the past then perhaps names are in order? At the very least, it lends authenticity to the tale.

Adam
    Me: Brian Wirthlin
    President: Sam McGee
    Boss: Carl Hannigan
    Owner: Ivan Dryer
    Next guy: I honestly don't remember
    Avo: Himself

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    If being a laserist had been in this guy's heart/dreams, AND he was open to learning anything, then working for the premiere laser company in the world (i.e. Laser Images in the early 80s) would have helped. But it wasn't about heart; he just thought it was kinda cool. He was a hack. No doubt HE thought he was good enough, and everybody else was just overly critical. We gave him (as an employee) the instruction some people seem to think is their birthright, and he still sucked.

I learned a long time ago that well meaning people can do evil things. Mainly because what they believe is true - isn't…

Brian
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ever seen anything by Picasso?

given time...he might have put you in your place on the food chain.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Avo: Himself
    And Avo uses his real name now.... Hugo Bunk Right?
    Last edited by -=Jim=-; 04-27-2010 at 11:29.

cool story, bro..

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ever seen anything by Picasso?

given time...he might have put you in your place on the food chain.
    Perhaps if he had TAKEN time...

His job was to learn, my job (among many) was to teach, you may argue that I (and others) failed. That's certainly one way to look at it.

Funny thing, he was given yet another chance as a laserist. (This was after I'd left the company.) He took the travel advance, but the day he was supposed to be in Tucson to do the load in - he called up and quit.

Do you suppose I just might have a greater insight into of what I lived through than you do?

Brian

Is there anything more dangerous than sympathetic understanding? - Picasso