Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 473nm polarisation...

Not any one that I know of. At least not a brewster-inclined one

Piotr.K

Cool

It might be the case on more expensive models...

However, I've seen DPSS greens with *lousy* polarization ratios (we're talking 5:1 here). So it wouldn't surprise me to discover that those grossly inefficient cavities were simply sending the randomly-polarized 1064 into the KTP and just hoping for the best. And thus it follows that they'd do the same thing with cheaper blue models as well...

Adam

Remember that a blue cavity needs something to suppress the 1064 anyway or the yag will lase there instead of on the much lower gain 946 line, It might be possible to make that component (probably one or both cavity mirrors) polarisation sensitive.

946 is MUCH less gainy then 1064, so you will tend to get lower intracavity powers and hence MUCH lower conversion efficiency for a given non linear effect.

I strongly suspect that doubled 946 takes polarisation quite seriously even in the 'cheap' units.

Regards, Dan.

You would be surprised....the polorisation is random out of the yag to some extent with regards to the pump polarity. The issue I have seen is that some crystals are just a better cut than others. BiBo that is. Some crystals I have dropped into a cavity and no matter where it was it made blue photons. Others, most of them, only had a very small position that would peak in the 473/946 conversion. I mean small enough to make a 1/16 turn on the micro positioner and loose it totally. The crystal itself just regards 946 more so than 1064..... So getting a quality crystal was the big thing to me. But that is what you get with bulk lasers. They die...they get replaced.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Hum, Nd:vandate is supposed to be inherently 400:1, maybe not all blues use the more effective vandate? Nd:Yag does not have a fast and slow axis. Probably some are thus using nd:yag.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

If you are reading this it means that this post used to contain some sort of helpful/educational information posted by me. I no longer have even the tiniest interest in contributing ANY knowledge or effort here on photonlexicon.com. Why should anyone here benefit from my hard work? It's not like there's even the tiniest bit of appreciation coming my way from those people whom I've tried to help since I've been here, both by plugging their products and by consolidating info.

I apologize for not being able to help here anymore. If you want someone to thank for turning me against the idea of lending my hand to this particular community, thank our member dsli_jon for demonstrating quite convincingly SEVERAL times just what a smug, superior and condescending bunch of douchebags some of the so-called "professional laserists" here can be to people who think or act differently than they do. You can gold plate a piece of shit by calling it "professional", but at the end of the day it's still just a piece of shit. It only takes one worthless individual to screw up the public image of a whole group, at least in my book. "Professional" my ass.

To any and all new members who might someday read this: NEVER let dsli_jon or any of the so-called "professionals" here talk to you in any way that you find to be rude, smug, snobbish, condescending or disrespectful because people like dsli_jon don't know how to speak any other way. The concept of "respecting others and their opinions/viewpoints" is entirely lost on him and people like him. All that matters is that they somehow have an opportunity to display their superiority complexes for all the world to see.

The really sad part of all this: Who knows how many worthwhile future contributors and quality individuals have been run out of here by some of the absolutely ridiculous, "high-school-esque" bad attitudes that many members here like Jon have given people who might ask n00bish questions or who might bring up topics that they feel shouldn't be discussed here. To me it's very sad that people as absolutely worthless as Jon and his supporters have any sort of influence here. If you're a new member who is not prepared to bend over and take whatever these people give you, you'd better just leave now because they have zero tolerance for "thinking outside their box".
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 08-23-2010 at 09:08.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    I don't think vanadate has a 946nm line.. I know it has a 914nm line which results in 457nm blue. I've long been under the impression that 473nm lasers use Nd:YAG.
    Your right, I just looked it up. Its there, but much weaker then in YAG. Still,depending on if its type one or type two conversion, you still may have strong polarization.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...