Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2010 Sign-up thread!

ahh its the home stretch...

I have packages coming from north florida, china, ct lasers, edmunds, newport, dr lava... trying to get everything put together before the big event lol

and I havent even sourced some critical components yet lol

nothing like waiting for the last minute? THE PRESSURE IS ON AHHHH

Smile

I hear you there, Frank... I've still got two major "SELEM JOBS" that I need to finish. But I think I'll have everything ready.

Power distribution is taken care of now. Thanks to a rather expensive double-pole 100 amp GE captive breaker that I just bought, we'll have 200 amps of clean power on-stage for stuff. (Credit also goes to Jeff and Matt for supplying the wire, the main panel, and some of the remote distros we'll be using.)

Scaffolding is all in order. Jeff is building the walk boards right now. Also, I have a good estimate on the length of Ethernet cable we need: 230 feet. I just can't remember who volunteered to bring the cable...

Still need some odds and ends, but I'll be posting more next week after I've done a complete inventory of my gear on this end.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I hear you there, Frank... I've still got two major "SELEM JOBS" that I need to finish. But I think I'll have everything ready.

Power distribution is taken care of now. Thanks to a rather expensive double-pole 100 amp GE captive breaker that I just bought, we'll have 200 amps of clean power on-stage for stuff. (Credit also goes to Jeff and Matt for supplying the wire, the main panel, and some of the remote distros we'll be using.)

Scaffolding is all in order. Jeff is building the walk boards right now. Also, I have a good estimate on the length of Ethernet cable we need: 230 feet. I just can't remember who volunteered to bring the cable...

Still need some odds and ends, but I'll be posting more next week after I've done a complete inventory of my gear on this end.

Adam
    I can make a cable, but whats the 230 ft cable for?

if its just internet we could do that with a pair of cisco wireless bridges....

Thumbs up What sort of magic do you have in that wireless bridge box?

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    I can make a cable, but whats the 230 ft cable for?
    To run from the router in Reggie's office all the way to the stage, where hopefully we'll have a few switches set up.
    if its just internet we could do that with a pair of cisco wireless bridges....
    Except that the concrete & steel re-enforced walls and steel doors of the auditorium make for a fairly effective Faraday cage...

If you think you've got some hardware that can do the job, by all means bring it! But cell service in the auditorium is already spotty because of the thick walls, and the wifi signal that is most prevalent in the lobby area is non-existent just 2 ft inside the door of the auditorium. That's why we've had to run a long length of Cat-5e to the stage in past years.

You got something with more power than your average wifi hotspot that might be able to penetrate into the auditorium?

Adam

To run from the router in Reggie's office all the way to the stage, where hopefully we'll have a few switches set up.
    Except that the concrete & steel re-enforced walls and steel doors of the auditorium make for a fairly effective Faraday cage...

If you think you've got some hardware that can do the job, by all means bring it! But cell service in the auditorium is already spotty because of the thick walls, and the wifi signal that is most prevalent in the lobby area is non-existent just 2 ft inside the door of the auditorium. That's why we've had to run a long length of Cat-5e to the stage in past years.

You got something with more power than your average wifi hotspot that might be able to penetrate into the auditorium?

Adam
    well they were doing about a 1 mile link @ 12mbits LOS so I would like to think that 230ft should be doable...

I have a giant reel of CAT6 at work but that stuff is a biach to work with

where is the office? can we run a cat5 cable to a better area to put the master ap so the slave ap is more LOS even if through walls?

they are PoE so I dont have to worry about power at the AP

Smile

The office is down the hall from the main auditorium lobby where the baby grand piano is. If you remember where the kitchen was, the office with the router is the next door down (heading down the hall towards the double-doors out front). We have to go through the first office into the second one behind it. That's where the router is.

We could pull some cat 5 cable from in there out to the lobby area - maybe even right up to the door to the auditorium, and then sit one of the bridge boxes there (near the piano perhaps). There is plenty of power in the lobby we can use.

The other box would probably be on-stage. That would be around 120 ft or so from the piano area. Maybe a tad more than that. But you'll have steel fire doors and the concrete walls to contend with. Though I guess we could put it in the auditorium seating area someplace, and then run some more cat 5 from there to the stage, if it improves the line of sight...

If you think it will work, let's try it. (What do we have to lose, right?) Worst case, I can always run out to home depot and buy a 200 ft roll of cable on Friday afternoon if it doesn't work.

Adam

It looks like I'll be driving. I have about 500FT of CAT5 that I can put ends on. If it is needed I can bring it. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    It looks like I'll be driving. I have about 500FT of CAT5 that I can put ends on. If it is needed I can bring it. Let me know.
    thats too long, 100 meters is the max recommended cable length (about 300ft)

The office is down the hall from the main auditorium lobby where the baby grand piano is. If you remember where the kitchen was, the office with the router is the next door down (heading down the hall towards the double-doors out front). We have to go through the first office into the second one behind it. That's where the router is.

We could pull some cat 5 cable from in there out to the lobby area - maybe even right up to the door to the auditorium, and then sit one of the bridge boxes there (near the piano perhaps). There is plenty of power in the lobby we can use.

The other box would probably be on-stage. That would be around 120 ft or so from the piano area. Maybe a tad more than that. But you'll have steel fire doors and the concrete walls to contend with. Though I guess we could put it in the auditorium seating area someplace, and then run some more cat 5 from there to the stage, if it improves the line of sight...

If you think it will work, let's try it. (What do we have to lose, right?) Worst case, I can always run out to home depot and buy a 200 ft roll of cable on Friday afternoon if it doesn't work.

Adam
    let me see what I got at work, I might have a long enough scrap cable from our last datacenter tear-out without having to go to the spool

if not I am pretty sure the wireless link should do it

Default Idea

Adam,
    Is therre any way we can have name tags that we put our screen name and real name on so we all know who the other is? I know last year I talked to some really great people, but have little idea who they are on PL. For you and others who are regulars to SELEM its no big deal, but for a newbie it can be a challenge to try to remember everyone. Not sure if it is as simple as name tags, I thinik we talked about it last year. With this many people coming this year I don't think it's a bad idea.

If you give it the OK, I can pick up some labels and try to print the screen name, real first name and avitar on them to hand out. Not sure how hard it will be, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I figure 2-3 per person should cover the event although after the first day everyone should know everyone.

I know I'm not the only one that has trouble remembering names.

Chris
    Lazerjock