Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Recent batch of 455nm 500mW laser diodes made available on YKW ...

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post
    Strange conclusion.

How many bluray players and burners do you think are pruduced every day, and how many lasershow projectors are produced every day.
    Strange conclusion.

He speaks of pico projectors in the same post. Maybe he is talking about mobile video projectors.

Maybe. Just maybe.

I mean, maybe.

Maybe just maybe.

btw its 445nm, not 455nm.
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Unhappy

Dave can you please post some pics of the beam etc?

will the be more available or anything similar?

Strange conclusion.

How many bluray players and burners do you think are pruduced every day, and how many lasershow projectors are produced every day.
    i think hes refering more to things like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SIO-_-24124006

which personally i would conjecture that thats where these lasers came from, a device like that

Aah sorry

Now lets hope they are not all multimode flashlights with terrible beam specs. But for projectors they project the laser at a DLP chip so a tight beam is not necessary, so I'm afraid of it.

But the 1x5,5mm x 2mRad beam this diode is putting out you could knive edge half of the beam off and change polarity and combine it with a combiner cube. This way you go from a 1x5,5mm to a nice beam of 1 x 3m x 2mRad for only 140 euro in optics I think it's worth it.

Aah sorry

Now lets hope they are not all multimode flashlights with terrible beam specs. But for projectors they project the laser at a DLP chip so a tight beam is not necessary, so I'm afraid of it.

But the 1x5,5mm x 2mRad beam this diode is putting out you could knive edge half of the beam off and change polarity and combine it with a combiner cube. This way you go from a 1x5,5mm to a nice beam of 1 x 3m x 2mRad for only 140 euro in optics I think it's worth it.
    That's exactly what I am planning to do. (and so is Dave I think)
    I was a bit bummed at first, but now It's just a challenge

In fact for the microprojectors they use a MEMS 2-axis resonant scanning mirror and directly modulate the lasers rather than using a DMD. You can tell which of these projectors are using this system because they all bang on about how no focussing is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    In fact for the microprojectors they use a MEMS 2-axis resonant scanning mirror and directly modulate the lasers rather than using a DMD. You can tell which of these projectors are using this system because they all bang on about how no focussing is necessary.
    If they're fitting 500mW blue diodes (and matching ones for 640/650 and 532nm), that means that they're either losing a very big crapload of power though the DMD assembly, or running the diodes far below spec, as the spec sheets I've read show that the total power would be 100-150mW RGB total max.

If those things do tend to scale with power, they could be 'abused' as off-the-shelf show-ready projectors, by simply feeding them vector graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I hate to put a damper on this thread, but I have given the 2 diodes a fairly good test today, and they are certainly not in the same class as the Nichia 500mw diodes. The divergence of these is roughly double, the 2 Nichias we have here..

you don't say..

Default 445nm / 500mW eBay Laser Diode

Hi,

can someone post pictures of the 445nm / 500mW diode in operation (beam, etc)?

Thank´s

Frank

dave, can you be a bit more specific in comparison to the nichias you have? Are you saying the divergence is double on the slow axis when the fast axis is collimated with the aspheric you tried? The way you stated it just 'divergence is double' is a little hard to make use of, given the drastically different axes on this diode.

In my tests in collimating the fast axis the divergence wasn't so bad. it was the slow axis that required a little more treatment.