Thread: laser and fibre newbie

Red face laser and fibre newbie

what kind of fibre should i use between a white light laser and a beam table?

How much power do you have? And what type of lasers are you using (if you have any 'fat' reds it makes things trickier).

Since you have RGB you need to use achromatic lens, which is corrected to be able to focus all visible wavelengths at the same point (normal lenses do not have this property), but other than that almost any fiber coupler would work. I am working on refurbishing a few of them, which will soon be up for sale at http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...Coupler-Feeler The optimum diameter fiber will depend on your power and types of lasers, but 100um or 200um fiber is common (you can also get 62.5um, but it is much harder to get good coupling into), the advantage of smaller diameter fiber is that it will give better beam specs off your beam table, but it is harder to get good coupling into it and can handle less power.

it´s a spectra physics sp-168 outputing 1.5w

Quote Originally Posted by teknofon View Post
    it´s a spectra physics sp-168 outputing 1.5w
    after you solve your water problem I could sell you the launcher, 100feet of 200 micron fiber and a collimator for about $800.00
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

the janitor is leting me borrow his hoes or was it hose

i only need 5m of fibre
    and i have an old launcher somewere i bought for 40$
    thanks any way

For a 1.5watt argon you would be better of running with 100um fiber, you could probably get away with a piece of 62.5/125 multimode patch fiber (the orange color fiber that is commonly used for networking, NOT the yellow kind which is singlemode and useless for our applications), just be careful to never get the ends of the fiber dirty or you will quickly destroy the fiber.

btw
    how do i clean the ends?

i found a 100µm and a 200µm
    in a box that i´ve forgotten about

they have sma connectors that fits my lenses
    happy happy joy joy

now i just have to clean them

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    How much power do you have? And what type of lasers are you using (if you have any 'fat' reds it makes things trickier).

Since you have RGB you need to use achromatic lens, which is corrected to be able to focus all visible wavelengths at the same point (normal lenses do not have this property),
    snip
    I'm not really trying to be a pain, but an achromat is designed to focus 2 colors to the same focal plane. (not exactly, but more or less the same focal plane) An Apochromat is designed to focus three colors. (also with the above caveat…) If you want to focus all visible wavelengths to the same focus you’re going to need mirrors…

brian

a sp white light will focus into 200u fiber like dumping oil into an ocean, as long as you are in the NA it dont matter what lens you use, a 10mmfl achromat will be just fine. The biggest problem people experience with fiber launchers is their stability and mechanically ensuring there is not movement between the laser and launcher. other than that...it is a hunk of cake.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.