Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Addressable LED strips

Aaaaand... I got it working with Modul8 (my visuals software of choice). Proof of concept at least.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6tkZExQbXo

Thanks for that heroic

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    No. Each pixel consists of three RGB packages. They are about 30mm apart.
    I am confused

5 metres divided by 50 pixels = 100 mm. 5 metres divided by 30 mm = 167 pixels. Unless I'm missing something, the 50 pixels and 30 mm dot pitch on a 5 metre strip don't add up.

I've just had a look at the GL-CB-RGB (if that's what you're using). It seems they have 150 pixels, at 33mm dot pitch which I calculate to be 4917 mm from first to last pixel, with some space on either side, making up the 5 metres. Assuming this is correct, a 10 x 15 pixel matrix could be built from one.

Is that correct?

8 channels x 150 pixels = 1200 addressable pixels via your driver, which could be a 30 x 40 matrix. We would need 256 of these drivers for a 640 x 480 display, which seems a bit high. It would be ideal to have a version that could address at least 307200 pixels required for VGA and at the bus speed required to deliver a decent frame rate.

Do you think this would be technically feasible?

Writing software for the controller is up to you. What I have right now is basically a code example of how to bang the strips with digits; I will be developing this into something I can control over USB, but I'm not quite there yet for multiple strips. I have an example that gives USB serial control of one strip (at full USB line speed, no less).
    I am very keen to develop something like that. I'm a software designer by day, and I'd like to have a go at this.

The source is these guys: http://www.gl-leds.com/
    Awesome, thanks for the link. Which of their flexible strip products are you working with?

Quote Originally Posted by taggalucci View Post
    5 metres divided by 50 pixels = 100 mm. 5 metres divided by 30 mm = 167 pixels. Unless I'm missing something, the 50 pixels and 30 mm dot pitch on a 5 metre strip don't add
    Each pixel consists of three LED packages. Each package contains an RGB LED. There are 50 pixels, and 150 LED packages.

The LED packages are "dots" but each pixel contains three dots.

I'm not sure how else to say this that will make it any clearer.

This driver card should work with all their "intelligent" LED strips.

8 channels x 150 pixels = 1200 addressable pixels via your driver, which could be a 30 x 40 matrix. We would need 256 of these drivers for a 640 x 480 display, which seems a bit high. It would be ideal to have a version that could address at least 307200 pixels required for VGA and at the bus speed required to deliver a decent frame rate.
    This is not practical.

Each pixel consists of three LED packages. Each package contains an RGB LED. There are 50 pixels, and 150 LED packages.

The LED packages are "dots" but each pixel contains three dots.

I'm not sure how else to say this that will make it any clearer.
    That's OK, I think it's clear now. My interpretation of that is that each addressable unit consists of 3 RGB points, at 33mm, that would make a dot pitch of 99 mm given that the three points could not have different RGB values.

It doesn't sound like these would be practical for video. Though they'd still be good for other effects.

I'm looking for the least expensive way to create something like this...

http://www.rigelighting.com/Products...st.php?SubID=5

Interesting... so if you wanted to create a 50x50 pixel LED matrix with square pixels then you would need 150 strips. That might get expensive.

Maybe these strips would well suited for scrolling messages. If you ran 24 strips horizontally with, you would have a 50x8 pixel scrolling message board that was 5 meters long. Cool!

I have a piece of the hl1606 strip, and while the pixels are individually addressable, you cannot individually control the brightness of the chips. I played with some hacks to use the fade line to adjust it, but there really is no good way to do anything better than 7 color mode (or a 15 color mode with a bit of trickery with the strobe line). I was planning to build a simple DMX-hl1606 protocol converter, but it wasn't worth it to me running in 7 color mode. I am interested in getting some of the 24 bit ones, which company did you order your from?

I too bought my hl1606 strait from China, the seller 'forgot' to ship it for about a month but after some bitching and moaning it finally came. That said, if anyone wants to play with some of the HL1606 type strips send me a PM, I am considering putting my strip up on ebay since it is not usable for my application.

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    I too bought my hl1606 strait from China, the seller 'forgot' to ship it for about a month but after some bitching and moaning it finally came. That said, if anyone wants to play with some of the HL1606 type strips send me a PM, I am considering putting my strip up on ebay since it is not usable for my application.
    Note that this is a completely different strip to the strip I am using.

Hi Heroic,

Are you using the GL-CB-RGB strip?

I would be interested in a controller board if you decide to do a group buy on them.

Thanks!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by blowfly View Post
    Hi Heroic,

Are you using the GL-CB-RGB strip?
    Yes. Note that it comes in a "naked" form and a "waterproof" form; the "naked" form is bare flexprint, which seems like it would be very fragile.

Yet another video of me dicking around with LED strip.