Thread: ...another 'plug for the old-school'... ;)

Default ...another 'plug for the old-school'... ;)

Hey Kats -

...thought, at least some of you, might enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjNlD0KEmcM

..yeah, it's got some '80's cheeze-wiz' workin', but how-cool is that 'lip-synching lissajou man' ,eh? (which was being 'played', live, by a laserist, to the music, for the shoot, btw... no animation, there, baby! ) and some of the other kool-analog fx... 'simple', yes, but kool. ...a round of applause for the 'legendary CSL'...

njoy..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Gotta love laserium!!!!

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Kats -

...thought, at least some of you, might enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjNlD0KEmcM

..yeah, it's got some '80's cheeze-wiz' workin', but how-cool is that 'lip-synching lissajou man' ,eh? (which was being 'played', live, by a laserist, to the music, for the shoot, btw... no animation, there, baby! ) and some of the other kool-analog fx... 'simple', yes, but kool. ...a round of applause for the 'legendary CSL'...

njoy..
    j
    any chance you can get a video of the... real talent of that video, working on the real equipment. I couldn't sit through the whole video. I wanna see the beast producing those images... to different music.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Hey A-man...

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    any chance you can get a video of the... real talent of that video, working on the real equipment. I couldn't sit through the whole video. I wanna see the beast producing those images... to different music.
    Hah, lol, I got ya... you could always try 'mute'... RE: 'making-of' video, possibly - I know it was done using a 6B controller, live, with a CSL-projector... ie:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CSL_2.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	16720 (...this one was heavily modded from the OEM-vers...)

...and the 'keyboard'... (thanks to Sir Brian W for the 'notes'...)

...there might be some footage of the 'making', but if-so, I won't be able to post it for a bit- just yesterday, we shipped-off a huge bulk of the 'archives' of photos, videos, slides (!) from those years, for digitizing and preservation, but at some point, they'll be online, in a gallery and I can point-ya there...

...you gonna be @ SELEM? I *might* be able to make it, this year.. depends on scheduling...

cya, dude...
    j

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Oh god, if there was a split screen of Glenn doing the beginning to Laserium Starship I'd love to see it again... I remember Glenn late one night in town to teach us Starship. So after the regular shows, we rconfigured the projector and Glenn showed us his Starship... And from the first light - I just thought - Ohhhh, this is going to be so much fun!

And for anyone who doesn't know about Glenn Thomas - think Prince in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY

And if I ever talk about "pacing" - note that Prince didn’t even really begin until 3:30…

Brian

And BTW when you're in the zone that's what really doing it live feels like...
    Last edited by laserist; 05-16-2010 at 19:23. Reason: just a thought

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Your holding out on us Jon, where's the lumia controls???

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Hey P'fessor...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Your holding out on us Jon, where's the lumia controls???
    No sir - see those two black L/R 'posts', top of photo? They held a small 'tray' that was for the Peavey PC1600 midi-controller... bump-buttons for scan-glass In/Out actuation, 'rock turret' and 'fiber turret'-advance, and faders for master shutter, RGB-shutters, fx-positions / rail-positions, and lumia / dimple-tube / fx-motors speeds and fiber-focus... (fx-fiber, not fiber-launchers for 'remotes'...)

...I'll try and post some pix / vid sometime of the amazing fiber-fx that thing generated... truly, a 'one of a kind' effect...

peace..
    j

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey P'fessor...

No sir - see those two black L/R 'posts', top of photo? They held a small 'tray' that was for the Peavey PC1600 midi-controller... bump-buttons for scan-glass In/Out actuation, 'rock turret' and 'fiber turret'-advance, and faders for master shutter, RGB-shutters, fx-positions / rail-positions, and lumia / dimple-tube / fx-motors speeds and fiber-focus... (fx-fiber, not fiber-launchers for 'remotes'...)

...I'll try and post some pix / vid sometime of the amazing fiber-fx that thing generated... truly, a 'one of a kind' effect...

peace..
    j
    Yah, I guess the old diode logic board was arguably the most primitive piece of the old projector - you wouldn't have had to twist my arm very hard to ok that upgrade.

brian