Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: UKLEM-9 Surfleet, South Lincolnshire 1-2-3rd of October 2010

I've asked about a venue in Sheffield. Just waiting for a response.

It might not be possible because it used to be the case that they had a lot of sports clubs using it but we'll have to see.

Its in a nice quiet leafy suberb in one of the best areas of the city (read quiet with low crime rate) and being located within the grounds of the local primary school benefits additonally with 2 on site car parks, a large school field (ideal for any Cu vapour action) and with the whole site enclosed within security fencing with locking gates and onsite caretaker located by the main gates.

Its also easy to get to as its only about a mile or so from the main ring road down a dual carriage way then a good A road.

This is a picture from inside I've pinched from the site of a firm who did the flooring:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	re%20sized%20bradway%20scout%20hut.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	20198

as you can see high ceilings and in the centre of the building out of the picture they rise to maybe twice the height again at the walls.

There are also on site toilets and a kitchen.

There's a hotel within just over a mile or so.

There's a location pic here - Its the building you can see through the gates and to the left although the main building is behind the tree. The low ceiling building with the light coloured roof is a storage shed: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...,57.67,,1,3.87
    Last edited by White-Light; 10-07-2010 at 14:50.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    And comfy chairs.
    And nice Biscuits (cue Dan!).
    Comfy biscuits?
    Yes boss
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    I've asked about a venue in Sheffield.
    There is, unfortunately, no curtains on them there windows which is a bit of a problem during the daylight hours. Room needs to be dark
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    There is, unfortunately, no curtains on them there windows which is a bit of a problem during the daylight hours. Room needs to be dark
    I know but nothing a bit of material hung over couldn't fix.

I don't know yet if its a possibility but it is a great venue. Ceiling is around 20ft high in the centre.

Since google street map went by the front gates are now changed and are 6 feet high. The building itself also falls within the inner corden of the school so its also behind a 2nd 6 foot high fence - how paranoid are they these days in one of the best areas of Sheffield when the school needs 2 x 6 foot fences?

Anyway all good for us because low crime area plus 2 x 6 foot fences plus caretaker on the grounds next to the car park makes for a very secure venue with great road, rail and air access - off the motorway its nearly all dual carriageway there with speeds ranging from 70 down to 40mph, only the last 1/2 mile is 30mph. From leaving the Chesterfield junction of the M1 you can be there within 15 mintues. There's a train station within a mile that has traisn direct to Manchester and is only a 5-10 minute train ride to Sheffield Midland (Main Rail Station in Sheffield that has trains North and South via the East Coast Mainline) and there are 4 airports with 2 hours the nearest being approx 1 hour away (Robin Hood) and Leeds, Manchester within 1-1 1/2 hours. East Midlands probably a couple of hours but great range of choices for anyone flying. There is a Moathouse Hotel within 1.5 miles on the dual carriageway, 4 pubs within a mile and loads of local takewaways within a 1.5 miles including 2 Dominoes, several other pizza joints, several curry houses, a KFC, several sandwich shops, a Morrisons, non of which are more than 10 minutes drive away. There are shops within a 5-10 minute walk.
    Last edited by White-Light; 10-08-2010 at 08:11.

Jem and WL

One thing that might be worth considering and its quite Important to a few people including myself is that a campout in the venue is possible , if its not possible I do reckon it would reduce numbers and possibly feasibilty if its an expensive venue.

Personally I love Surfleet , its a terrific venue and Jim does an awesome job organising a great venue and having looked into a few places myself in past ... also at a great price ! and being able to save cash by sleeping overnight , and allowing us to play with lasers until the wee small hours is just Perfect..... but i will always have a wee moan as its so damn far ..... friday 2nd oct took me TEN hours due to traffic conditions on A1 !

(BTW Jim , my opinion is £15 still too much for a day visitor ! but feel free to ignore me ,mines is just one of many opinions )

Anyways with typically over £100 in fuel and £30 entry , being able to save upto £150 in hotel rooms is certainly important to me and I beleive a few others ! and it allows those late night sessions !

I like the idea of a SHOWLEM , being able to relax and just bathe in the light and i also like the idea of a blackpool meet as its only 3 hours away ( one day maybe karl eh !! ) but im certainly up for wakefield or sheffield or both depending on times etc .... but how do these venues affect everyone elses travelling times ? in the end though people will vote with their feet !

paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Who mentioned The Las Vegas of The North?
    First I've heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Who mentioned The Las Vegas of The North?
    First I've heard of it.
    I have been trying to cajole Karl into holding a meet there for quite some years , indeed i plonked an organisers hat on him many years ago but he emigrated to Thailand to escape the responsibilty

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ighlight=uklem

I think Blackpool would be a great place for a meet and apprently a few lasers shows happen there so we could all go and criticize and say " we can do better than that "

paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Jem and WL

Personally I love Surfleet , its a terrific venue and Jim does an awesome job organising a great venue
    I'm not trying to replace Jim in any way.

Just thought it might be nice to have a mini LEM dead central to the motorways with good access from all directions in between the main events.

Just found the box lid that Jem wrote down the raffle winners on.

As follows:

Ilda Board From Rob Stanwax to Chris Badger1666

Colour Correction Board From Rob Stanwax to Dan Briggs

Hand made Laser Module from Edison to Sam

Live Pro Demystified CD from Mark Insanity to Richard Soforene

5v-15-15v PSU from Me to Rob Yag

Beer selection from Dimiti Hobbybob to Robin UK Laser

Bottle of summats?? from Dimiti Hobbybob to Kev Kevski

Stroopwaffles from Dimiti Hobbybob to Morgan

Morgan & Rob (Yag), please get in touch to claim your prizes
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

The day visitors that did attend during this LEM did not hesitate to pay the fees, they seemed very happy at the price.
    If I have that wrong and people did think it was a little steep then please say.

If anyone else has a problem with the pricing then please sing aloud?
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!