Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast

Thread: UKLEM-9 Surfleet, South Lincolnshire 1-2-3rd of October 2010

I think the pricing is very fair and we know that the extra bucks are going to fund the thing that connected most of us in the first place.
    I say leave fees as they are
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hey Jim

You managed to read my writing... I'm impressed

I've had a few PM's in relation to a Wakefield(ish) LEM and it seems a few would be interested in progressing things. If it goes ahead, this could be a LEM with a difference, pretty much dedicated to synchronised shows, both beams and graphics.

It would most probably be an overnighter, Saturday/Sunday. Watch this space...

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Deffo interested here Jembo
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I've had a few PM's in relation to a Wakefield(ish) LEM and it seems a few would be interested in progressing things.
    Jem
    Well if everyone would prefer Wakefield, then I defer to Jem.

Jem - SHOWLEM sounds great , look forward to hearing details - i will be doing my damndest to be there !

WL - maybe a good idea to continue pursuing information about venues , maybe useful one day , dont do any harm , who knows what can happen ?

2011 looks like it could be .......

April - Surfleet
    july - Showlem
    October -likely surfleet
    Dec?
    could be a space for a NEW type of meet if you can come up with something , hard core rave lem LOL? mixed gadget/laser/robot/firework/puter lem ..who knows ? you a member of any other forums ? all you can do is suss out prices , advertise date and see if theres enough interest to make the books balance ..like i did for scotland but there simply wasnt enough people prepared to travel so it became difficult

Rob and Jim --- mmmm day visitors £15 , i think maybe whats making me think its too high is the idea of a brand new person turning up , maybe just to look and visit for a few hours and get to know the place and the people ... being charged £15 seems steep and *might* put some people off ? , especially students etc ...what about neil and his wife who have turned up a few times just for 3/4 hours I cant see it being fair charging them £30 ..... Personally i dont want to see ANY barriers that might stop people coming .... how about NEW visitors being free first visit and classing an "entry" as using a TABLE (IE, bringing eqiupment) .... just ideas .. feel free to shoot me down !

paul
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Well if everyone would prefer Wakefield, then I defer to Jem.
    Al, keep up the good work. Anything's possible at this stage

I've a couple of venues to check next week, but if they prove to be completely unsuitable we will need an alternative.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Al, keep up the good work. Anything's possible at this stage
    I've just come up with another possible venue as well although it may be too expensive, I'll need to enquire.

Its within 1 mile of the other one:

http://www.dronfield.gov.uk/CivicHall.shtml

Looks big and it has sound system, lighting, stage and even seating auditorium!!!

BTW I don't want to tread on anyone's toes. Maybe there's room for Surfleet + 2 mini lems - 1 Wakefield / 1 Sheffield or maybe it will be Surfleet and Wakefield. I guess its all going to depend on costs and demand.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    I've just come up with another possible venue as well although it may be too expensive, I'll need to enquire.

http://www.dronfield.gov.uk/CivicHall.shtml
    That looks a reet classy joint.
    I bet we could afford to hire it but just for an hour...................

AL/ JEM
    Dronfield looks ideal for something like a SHOWLEM where theres less equipment and flightcases being banged into walls , milling machines in the kitchen , distro boxes pulled apart for to attach lasersopes etc ... staying in the hall etc .blowing up the sanitation pipes and STILL being invited back LOL..........i dont think ITS understand how good we have it at Surfleet LOL bless ya jim !

In saying that though id be happy to move venue around even though surfleet is perfect for a "general" LEM use .....but im just one of many , others may have a different approach i really dont know .... some people are happy to travel to majorca every year , twice a year , for 20 years for holidays , others like myself would prefer to travel to every part of spain ? see the difference?

What im saying is 1) we are a dirty lot with smoke etc , a "POSH" venue might have us once but will they have us back ~? .... 2) the chances of finding somewhere as flexible and easy about us lot as surfleet is small so the futher you go into finding venues and actually get down to asking Questions the more venues will drop off the radar .... i started with THIRTY and got it down to ONE in the end ! and then not enough people were interested to make it viable ... so dont take it personally .....make a list of questions that need to be asked for different type of LEMS .... A)General LEM , 3 phase , sleeping in hall etc etc B) Showlem or some other LEM will have different needs ... maybe start a thread for ideal venue questions / crucial questions .. many heads will be better than one , and then if you find great venue either keep it on back burner ..ready in the wings or go for it and make a date and see what happens ... replacing a "general" lem venue like surfleet with all its positives might be tough though ... think out the box ..what can you do thats different ,that will attract us lot and maybe even lots of new blood.

You may find as you start looking at venues that the council will have a GENERAL policy , IE/ £30 per hour commercial rates , £15 chaity , £5 local needs ... you might convince them for charity rate as its not profit , but unlikely to convince them its local needs , i reckon your really not wanting to go much over £100 a day , certainly not over £150 i dont think to make it feasible. Other non council venues are typically starting at £250 for the day was my experience so you may find theres a lot more to this than simply spotting a place ! it was a learning curve once you get talkingto people.

One thing AL , i noted 38 in the door at one Leicester meet ( think it was LEM 3 ) so numbers do seem down for surfleet , it might be the novelty has worn off for some , or it might be the easterly position in the country or because they have heard about the legendary snorers among the group, again who knows but my gut feeling is it is likely position so it would be interesting to see if a LEM central in the country attracts more people? bottom line is that people will vote with their feet in due course
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

TBH Paul as I said above, I wouldn't want to tread on Jim's shoes.

I'm not really looking to take on the job of organising LEM's. I just thought it would be nice to have one in a more central area with better access both North and South. Maybe as a complete one off or maybe as a once a year interim event between the Surfleet Lems. To me Sheffield made sense, obviosuly because its close to me but also because its slap bang at the junction of the M1 North, M1 South and A1 and has great rail links and airport links.

However, don't think I'm wanting to make this the UKLEM venue from now on because I'm not.