Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat's MicroMount Review!! - microlaserlabs.com

Default Pat's MicroMount Review!! - microlaserlabs.com

I recently had a chance to check out another incredible product from microlaserlabs.com.

The Micro Mount!

This kinematic 3-axis mount is not small... it's micro! The mount is intricately milled out of 6061 aluminum and uses three 2-56 screws to adjust X, Y and Z axis. This mount is about half the size of an MM1 mount with all the adjustablity needed to be able to properly steer a laser beam.

A mount like this is great to use when you're working in tight spaces or just need a good solid mount for a clean looking build. Also, just because it's tiny doesn't mean it's flimsy. The mount is 25.5mm tall by approximately 31 mm long counting the mounting foot and adjustment screws. At it's widest point, the mount is 12.7mm wide. The adjustable face of the mount is 12.7 X 12.7mm and is 6.3mm (1/4") thick.

Here are some pictures of the new MicroMount next to my original Chad mount.

How well does it work? Great! I installed this mount in my RGB projector about 2 weeks ago and I love it. First off, Installation was a piece of cake since it is very similar to Chad's mount that I was using to align the green DPSS laser in my projector. After getting the base adjustment close and locking it in. All I needed was a couple of precision tweaks to the adjustment screws to get the mirror right where I needed it. Far field alignment needed about 1/16th of a turn to get the beam right where I need it. The 2-56 thread screws seem to offer perfect adjust-ability for their size and pitch. Not too course and not too fine. Also, having the third axis in there is great. It helps a lot in the alignment process when dealing with angles.

After a couple minutes of fine tweaking, I had my alignment perfect. The adjustment screws are easy to turn yet lock in good enough to keep them from vibrating out of position. The adjustable face of the mount is also locked in with fine machining done on the mating face to keep it from being knocked out of alignment. After trying out a couple of hours of shows with the new mount, I then loaded up the projector in my flight case and took it for a roll up the stairs and down my bumpy street. This puts a lot of vibrational forces into the mount to see how it survives alignment in normal use. Unsurprisingly, the mount held it's adjustment just fine. No noticeable walk at all.

In conclusion, Pat's MicroMount is awesome! I would like to see them anodized in black but that can easily be done and doesn't effect operation of the mount. Not only would this mount be great for mirrors but for dichros as well. The 3-axis adjustment is just so helpful with making your near field and far field alignment perfect, especially in an RGB rig.

The MicroMount is available at microlaserlabs.com but is not currently on the website. If you would like to get 1 or 10,000 of these mounts, please contact the great and powerful Pat Bishoff AKA "Laserman532" on PL and He would be glad to get you a set. These mounts retail for $30 each without the mounting foot or $39 each with the mounting foot (as pictured). Compared to the price of a stock Chinese knock-off 2-axis MM1 mount, this price is a steal!

Hope you enjoyed the review! Please feel free to ask any questions about this mount and the review on this thread or to Pat directly.
    Thanks!
    Adam
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 05-27-2010 at 20:22.

Nice review Adam, sexy looking mount too

The only thing that concerns me is play in those threads, as this design will not lock up at all I can see potential stability issues there.
    If you apply light finger pressure to any of the adjustment screws, does the far-field alignment remain spot on?

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post

They look very similar to the patented pit8ull mount don't they
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    im not familiar with that mount...do you have a picture of it?
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    im not familiar with that mount...do you have a picture of it?

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post

funny... that looks like a push me pull you mount...i see no spring loaded free plate. The patent if any that I am copying would be newport corporation's mm-1, and I ain't afraid of them
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

HAHA - it is a simple mistake, you are forgiven...I think you confused my mount with that other blatant copy by andycon of pitbulls patented mount...its an honest mistake.

hehehehehehehehehehhe - you blokes crack me up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Andy Cons Copy of Bitbulls mount.jpg  

Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post

The only thing that concerns me is play in those threads, as this design will not lock up at all I can see potential stability issues there.
    If you apply light finger pressure to any of the adjustment screws, does the far-field alignment remain spot on?
    Thanks! Yes, I just checked the adjusters, absolutely no play in any of them that would mess up alignment. Looks like the threads were cut just right to allow a good tight tolerance.

While they do look similar Pat's mount is spring loaded versus a push/pull operation.

If you look at this pic you can clearly see a spring.

I'd consider this mount a "one of a kind" not a copy.

Looks like the threads were cut just right to allow a good tight tolerance
    Top job, thanks.. excellent workmanship Pat

While they do look similar Pat's mount is spring loaded versus a push/pull operation
    No sweat, I'll call off the IP hounds first thing Monday morning

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    hehehehehehehehehehhe - you blokes crack me up!

Heeee, just stirring the pot
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/