Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 445nm blue diode build options

of mod it with several 20W 650nm bars stacked, and a fiber output from a CuBr, so you have the tinyest highest power remote projection head

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Hey... Any chance you could take everything but the blue diodes out of the projector and just have blue... and optics. Possibly a 20W 445nm laser with a and adjustable beam that has size similar to a CuBr.
    You'd have to get rid of the color wheel to get pure blue output. And you might destroy the DLP chip when you did that, because there is a "notch" in the color wheel with what looks like translucent glass in it. I think this is where they're killing the blue laser coherence so that they don't get any speckle in the final image. But without that, I think the raw laser power would kill the DLP chip.

Then again, if you just wanted it as a beamer, you could yank the color wheel, the red LED, and the DLP chip out of it and just use it that way. I think you'd end up with about a 1.5 inch square beam (with horrible divergence), but it would be bright as hell nonetheless...

Adam

and then you have the most magnificent adjustable focus pump source for your fresh ebay coherent dye laser

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    You'd have to get rid of the color wheel to get pure blue output. And you might destroy the DLP chip when you did that, because there is a "notch" in the color wheel with what looks like translucent glass in it. I think this is where they're killing the blue laser coherence so that they don't get any speckle in the final image. But without that, I think the raw laser power would kill the DLP chip.

Then again, if you just wanted it as a beamer, you could yank the color wheel, the red LED, and the DLP chip out of it and just use it that way. I think you'd end up with about a 1.5 inch square beam (with horrible divergence), but it would be bright as hell nonetheless...

Adam
    I was thinking that some lense changes would be needed to get a good beam... but that would be a small price ot pay to be able to use the electronics and case of the projector.

Cool

Don't forget that the stock power supply runs these diodes pulsed at 250Hz. So that's not going to work for any scanning effect.

Adam

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Don't forget that the stock power supply runs these diodes pulsed at 250Hz. So that's not going to work for any scanning effect.

Adam
    DAMMIT!!! I will quit trying o get the thing to work with "bits" turned off...

Smile

Still, there's nothing wrong with using your own driver to power the diode array CW... That might work. So your experiments are not in vain. If you can get it working in blue-only mode, at least we'll be able to see how good (or bad) the stock optics are.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    I failed finding prism pairs cheaper than thorlabs (approx. 40$ the pair, coated for blue if I recall)

Same for the cylindrical lenses
    got a link ?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Does anyone have any suggestions on what angle anamorphic prisms would be suitable?

Quote Originally Posted by krazer View Post
    Has anyone measured the divergence using the stock lens from the projector? It looks like a fairly nice AR coated glass asphere, so if anything it seems our best bet would be to start with that lens and then find a cheep source of anamorphic prisms to add afterward. Did the research for the surplusshed ones every go anywhere?
    It's been done, but it gave really shitty dot quality, and divergence. So far, the best lens I have seen for them are the simple glass lenses AR coated for 405nm. It had the best profile in the end, and a good diveregence (IIRC <1.5mrad). The sock lenses gave it a massive dot size, so a large divergence, and it gave a large amount of artifacts around it (halos and stripes, etc)