Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 445nm blue diode build options

Default 445nm blue diode build options

Ok, so rather than spam the other thread full of n00b questions, I thought it may be best to start a fresh one here.

So, in order to turn one of the bare diodes into a working module, what is going to be needed?

I think optics will undergo some discussion about what works/doesn't in the fullness of time so can ignore that for now.

Driver - High side/low side? Assume Lasorb is a given right?
    Mounting block?
    'Barrel' for the diode itself? Are these press fit?

Also, do you think that as there will be so many looking to build modules that there will be group buys for key components? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a bit of tinkering but also know where my skills (and workshop!) end! Assembly is fine, but fabrication is another matter!

I would like to see a lens assembly for the Aixis module developed, would make life alot simpler working with a module we all know and love.

Good idea to get some ideas here. Dont want to mess up my build.

maybe a cylinder lens glued to the top of the diode would get the most out of it?

if not, the classic dual anamorphic prisms (luckily I have one)

perhaps some 0.8mm fiber glued to the top? I've seen glass fiber of that diameter in model shops, but what is the beam diameter in front of the diode window?

key parameters would also be diode temperature at runtime (or what is needed to cool them properly), but it is quite straightforward

I plan personally to try two approaches, the prism pair and the cylinder lens glued in front of the diode (for which I'll get a bigger collimator than aixiz models)

dont stress to much each diode comes with some optics
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

sweet, this is going to be awesome!!!

Rich

I wouldn't worry too much about high/low side drive, they are probably floating case.

I have already made my diode mount with TEC, wired up the Flexdrive, the case and Lasorb are ordered; the box of assorted laser optics I bought from fleebay might net some results. Need to order a blue PBS cube now.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

I wouldn't worry too much about high/low side drive, they are probably floating case.
    See, here is the problem, fundamentally I don't know what you mean by floating case. Do you mean the case is the neutral with the pins +ve and -ve?

I'm also thinking I may need 2 more as I'm not sure a single diode is gonna be big enough for my needs... uh-oh....

Ok, so at the very least I'm going to need barrels, mounts and drivers right?

Is it just a case of getting some of the Aixiz barrels and mounts, and Flexmod2's and I can sort out lenses as we know more?

Yes the cases are floating, this makes heat sinking easier. Noty, that is correct.

Optics are going to be the biggest problem. This diode has a large emitter area. Basic collimation laws of physics state that you can either have a nice small beam with high divergence or a fatter beam with smaller divergence. This is a trade off and is dictated buy the emission area. There are some tricks you can do with prisims and other optics but again it is going to all be one big trade off.

These get pretty warm so heat sinking carefully is going to be a necessity.

Don't expect a magic cheap solution. We are going to have to live with bigger beams than we would prefer. But again for the amount and the price of the blue, so what.

There are a couple of us working on ready to go modules.

chad
    Last edited by chad; 06-01-2010 at 16:43.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.