Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 445 experiments

I have the 405 lens on mine as well, I have 3 of the 405 lens. They each look like they do something different with the beam. Not impressed with the consistency of the lens. I haven't the ability to test at 150' or anything, but you can see th resulting burns in this paper to show you the shape I am getting at about 30'. Disregard the holes and just look at the shapes that are circled. That is the closest I could match the two lens on the same module. One appears to be fatter and one looks like it splits the beam into two. Ideas? http://home.comcast.net/~polishedball/lens.jpg
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    I have the 405 lens on mine as well, I have 3 of the 405 lens. They each look like they do something different with the beam. Not impressed with the consistency of the lens. I haven't the ability to test at 150' or anything, but you can see th resulting burns in this paper to show you the shape I am getting at about 30'. Disregard the holes and just look at the shapes that are circled. That is the closest I could match the two lens on the same module. One appears to be fatter and one looks like it splits the beam into two. Ideas? http://home.comcast.net/~polishedball/lens.jpg
    Also this is running at 939mw. Air cooled holding @ 74 degrees.

Hey J -

....One appears to be fatter and one looks like it splits the beam into two. Ideas?
    Are these lenses AR-coated? ...and, if-so, what is the R/T 'curve' like @ 445? I'm thinking the 'twinning' might just-be double-reflection... ??

...and as-to the 'variation in shape' I have seen that be a result of the 'lens-position vs the diode', in the mount - if there's even a tiny-amount of 'angle' vs perfect parallellivity (...like that one?
    one face to the other, or, even L-R/U-D 'centering' on the lens, can 'influence' the shape, some-what.... this is strictly-speaking from observation... I could very well-be totally smoking-crack...

... and - lol - the photo you posted there, looks like a photo taken-by a 'pregnant ballerina', shooting down past her bare-belly at her 'feet' as she tiptoes on a hopscotch-markings-laden sidewalk...

..yeah, I must-be 'smokin' crack'.....
    peace...
    j

...oh one more:

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    ...with aixiz 405 glass setup here
    do you have the lens in an adjustable-mount / what type, etc? ...thanks, bud...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey J -

Are these lenses AR-coated? ...and, if-so, what is the R/T 'curve' like @ 445? I'm thinking the 'twinning' might just-be double-reflection... ??

...and as-to the 'variation in shape' I have seen that be a result of the 'lens-position vs the diode', in the mount - if there's even a tiny-amount of 'angle' vs perfect parallellivity
    yes coated.

It is possible there is an angle issue as these lens are kinda loose in the module. Someone mentioned using Teflon tape to firm them up. Perhaps i'll try.
    ... and - lol - the photo you posted there, looks like a photo taken-by a 'pregnant ballerina', shooting down past her bare-belly at her 'feet' as she tiptoes on a hopscotch-markings-laden sidewalk...
    yeah, I must-be 'smokin' crack'....
    Please share whatever it is....

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Focused at 40' (the longest throw in my house, the beam is a sharp line about 27x4mm. There are a couple of faint reflections to either side of the line. The ends of the line don't appear truncated, but it's hard to tell. I'll need to set up an outside throw to tell more.

I'll take a couple photos tomorrow when there's more ambient light so blue doesn't just blow out my camera. Even just at threshhold, it's too bright.

Hey C -

.. not really, *test*, per-se, just more of a 'verification' / hearing others' experience with them, within-PL (cause we are all more shooting for 'projector-optimal' results, and understand 'issues' for scanning / graphics, etc vs 'other' applications / uses for these...

ie:, what is the beam-shape really-like, with the se 405-glass's at, say, 150'-200'-ish? 500'? Do they, in-fact' 'help' with 'shaping' at-all, since the 'examples' I saw, posted, seemed-to be using an integrated 'aperture' of-sorts, inside... so it does not appear to 'shape' as much-as 'chop' the beam-down, then collimate...

Findings? Other lenses out there? Who has found the 'best-overall' collim vs shaping - singular-solution (I mean, w/o prism-pairs, fibers, etc...), even if a multi-element-lens... eager to hear wide-range of opins / results..

peace...
    j
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

^^ You could set up a FS mirror at your 40' limit, then you have 80' and can adjust the lense with the spot right next to you ^^
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

yes coated.

It is possible there is an angle issue as these lens are kinda loose in the module. Someone mentioned using Teflon tape to firm them up. Perhaps i'll try.
    I even observed-that in the 'native' casio diod-blok... some were waaay 'errant' off to one-side... gotta-be lens-position in the mount, vs diode-position, in that-case....

Try-this: get a pair of 'hemostats' (so you can insert the lens into the beam-path w/o burning fingertips...) - and, of course, be careful of 'specular-reflections' off the hemos'... and as you move the lens' ever-so slightly (...you knew all those years spent playing "Operation" as a kid would pay-off:..."it takes a verrrry-steady hand!...." you can watch the 'shape' change / distort, etc...

Jus' an idea...

Please share whatever it is....
    Sure-thing, will-do, but *after* Nov...
    j

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    ^^ You could set up a FS mirror at your 40' limit, then you have 80' and can adjust the lense with the spot right next to you ^^
    , Ian...
    cheers...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Decided to poke a 445 diode running at 830mA through a few lenses I had just to see -

Uncoated Aixiz: 820mW
    Uncoated CAY046: 880mW
    LENS27: 935mW
    Stock jobbie: 975mW
    Thorlabs C240TME-A: 1025mW

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    Decided to poke a 445 diode running at 830mA through a few lenses I had just to see -

Uncoated Aixiz: 820mW
    Uncoated CAY046: 880mW
    LENS27: 935mW
    Stock jobbie: 975mW
    Thorlabs C240TME-A: 1025mW
    and which one gave the best beam simon

They all looked crap to me Chris

All different focal lengths so will need further beam correction of one axis or the other to get rid of that line..

The Thorlabs was the best compromise IMHO, there was almost zero clipping as this is an 8mm CA lens and it made around 1.7mR on the slow axis. A rather chunky 8x2mm beam, the majority of the power seemed concentrated within about 5-6mm of that 8mm though.
    Not cheap at £60/pcs + VAT + delivery