Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Casey Stack Laser Safety Seminar - Update info

Awesome! Price is very reasonable.

Mike

I'm still in

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

PM incoming, thanks!

could we at least record audio? im not sure what copyrights you are referring to unless they are his own (copyright safety information? )

I am not a fast note taker and I am sure more information will be covered in this than could possibly be usefully absorbed...

Thumbs up

Casey said that you wouldn't need to record it, as everything will be on the notes that you'll get beforehand. We can ask again when he arrives in town, but I doubt he'll change his mind. The copyright issue is the main reason he gave for excluding recording (video or audio).

Jeff:

We're all set at the hotel. 300Evil hooked us up. Conference room is ours in the evenings during SELEM, and all day on Monday for the seminar.

Blowfly & Araugh:

Your payments have been received. I added your names to the list in the sign-up thread.

Adam

Thumbs up

Well it looks like Ill be able to join yall for the seminar! But would it be ok if I pay you when I get there? Just encase something comes up and I cant...

DJ Matt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

OOPS! I missed your earlier reply to this in the thread! Sorry!

Hi Adam,

I am strongly considering attending SELEM and Casey's seminar. I'll likely be able to commit soon. The one question I do have is, I understand the web based portion may not be recorded, and all that goes into that, however, for an attendee in person, would you think a pocket microcassette recorder would be allowed for personal use and reference only? I don't have the greatest handwriting for taking notes and, they say humans only retain like, only 20% of these things anyway. It would be helpful to listen to it again on my 8 hour drive back in the car after the weekend for example.

Thoughts?
    Thanks!
    ~Brad
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 07-25-2010 at 19:33. Reason: I wasn't paying attention

I would interject here with a thought... and I should note that I have NOT spoken to Casey about this but I think that I have a pretty good sense of it.

Beyond copyright issues someone like Casey undertakes a rather substantial liability putting on a seminar like this because his opinions and analysis of any given situation carry a lot of weight. However, we ALL know that there are two realities: the one on paper and the other in practice. Casey really cannot advocate or even really discuss anything other than precisely what is written and interpreted by the CDRH if there is a reasonable expectation that he would be quoted on it, and thus be liable for it, down the road.

I get into similar issues when I do user training with our people. The reality is that certain practices and procedures are commonly used, with everyone's full knowledge, but those procedures may in part or in whole be in conflict with the written laws of the land. I am careful not to be quoted advising a user to do anything other than what is precisely prescribed and frankly that sometimes comes off as unreasonable.

Not having Casey recorded I think will result in a more open discussion and presentation so I think that instead of trying to find ways around it we should embrace it and walk away with the best possible experience.

Just my .02.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by X-Laser View Post
    I would interject here with a thought...
    Hear, Hear!... and, besides:

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    ...Casey...he has agreed to allow this to happen under two conditions:

2) The broadcast must not be recorded.
    ... I'd personally doubt his feelings on that would change for 'cassette-corders' vs recording the 'e-cast'...

Very good 'Dos Centavos', X-Lase...

... Now, a kvestion:

Um, I've re-read this thread a few times, so perhaps I am just really tired (or it's this giant margarita-slushie... but it looks like the 'start time' for this seminar is 5pm, EST??
    If so, ...I gotta be at 'CLT' by 4:30, latest... maybe I should go get some sleeeep, and re-read again....

peace...
    j

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    The seminar will start at 9 AM (eastern daylight savings time, or GMT - 5) on Monday, August 23rd. I expect it will last until around 5 PM or so.
    ...Yep, tequila is gooood stuff...

ciao
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 07-26-2010 at 02:35. Reason: doh!
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I understand the web based portion may not be recorded, and all that goes into that, however, for an attendee in person, would you think a pocket microcassette recorder would be allowed for personal use and reference only?
    Hi Brad;

I asked Casey specifically about this, and he did not like the idea - mainly because of copyright concerns he has with some of the media he uses for the presentation.

Like you, I was concerned about note-taking, fearing that I might spend so much time writing that I'd miss the heart of the class. But Casey has a solution to that.

Everyone will be given hard-copies of all the powerpoint slides that he will be using for his entire lecture before it starts. So you won't need to take notes, as you'll already have them with you. That way we can all listen (and participate) in the presentation, rather than having our heads buried in a notebook.

If this becomes too much of a burden though, we can (politely) ask him once more at the start of the presentation if a tape recorder might be used sparingly. Assuming he could switch it off when he deemed it necessary, maybe that would work. We'll have to play that one by ear though.
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Laser View Post
    Not having Casey recorded I think will result in a more open discussion and presentation so I think that instead of trying to find ways around it we should embrace it and walk away with the best possible experience.
    That's an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered before, Dan. You may be right. I think it would be a good idea to have a casual, non-confrontational discussion about this with Casey beforehand and sort of feel him out on this issue. If, in fact, this is another piece of the puzzle, then I agree that it makes more sense for us to not try to "pin him down" with a recording.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    it looks like the 'start time' for this seminar is 5pm, EST??
    If so, ...I gotta be at 'CLT' by 4:30, latest... maybe I should go get some sleeeep, and re-read again.
    Jon;

After you got some sleep, I see you edited your post to reflect the fact that it starts at 9AM on Monday. However, it does run until 5 PM, which would pose a problem for you, since you need to be at the airport at 4:30PM to catch your flight. The airport is 50 minutes by car from the venue, but with rental car hassles and delays at the security area, you'd probably want to leave no later than 2:15 or so. That means you'd miss almost the last 3 hours of the presentation.

Your call if you still want to do it or not. Any chance you can bump your flight to one that leaves a few hours later? Charlotte is a huge hub, so there should be plenty of flights...

Adam