Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any pics out there of -- 405nm V 445nm v 473nm

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    The main drawback to 445nm is still the luminosity.

When you look at Mark's 1st picture, 300mw 473nm looks brighter than 500mw 445 by some amount despite only having 1/2 the power of the 445 unit.
    On the other hand, you can get a dozen Watts of 445 for the price you pay for 300mW of 473. So the luminosity per unit COST (not power) is a whole different ballgame.

445 is like an American muscle car, a lot of power and quantity, but hardly any elegance.

473nm DPSS and 488nm argon blues are more like a nicely crafted English sports car -- the right amount of power, with proper handling and finesse.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    nicely crafted English sports car -- the right amount of power, with proper handling and finesse.
    The English make a sports car...?

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    What the hell is James Bond supposed to be driving otherwise?

And no, the BMW's in the recent movies don't count.

Some of the finest around, but I suspect you're thing more 'Super' car than sports car...

Think Ariel, Caterham, but also Lotus, Jaguar, the obligatory Aston Martin in the sports/super market...

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    TVR perhaps? Ferocious, scary cars; hairy chests only

Aston Martin Admitedly more of a GT supercar than a sports car

Noble? < serious beasts

Aerial? < real purist stuff

Caterham? < purist with insane speed
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    The main drawback to 445nm is still the luminosity.

When you look at Mark's 1st picture, 300mw 473nm looks brighter than 500mw 445 by some amount despite only having 1/2 the power of the 445 unit.
    I have to ask if you have seen a 445nm in the flesh or are you relying on camera pictures (which have already been pointed out as nowhere near accurate) ?

I can assure you, 500mw of 445nm blows my 300mw 473nm out the water, many times over...

I had 850mw of green in the whitelight and had to upgrade it as I had too much blue... I can assure you, anyone getting one of these lasers will be blown away by how visible it is... Nowhere near comparing 671 to other red lasers...

It is also pretty close to the peak of human vision of the blue spectrum...

You *really* do need to see one, you will be surprised...

Mark

I've only seen it in Kvant and its impossible to tell really unless you see the two colours back to back with static beams at known powers projected from each.

I've never doubted the colour is better on 445nm, I just question the brightness. But you're right Mark, without seeing it in the flesh back to back with a 473nm its impossible to judge precisely for sure. Maybe if I make the another LEM you can demonstrate it to me in the flesh back to back with 473. Doubtful I'll ever be at Surfleet though.

Have you seen a 457nm in the flesh yet? Would be interesting to see a back to back comparison of all 3 blues for both colour and luminosity.

My concern is that whilst I'm more than aware of the value of 445 in white balance and graphics, however, visibility is king when it comes to beams. You're never going to hear anyone in a nightclub audience saying that blue is a bit light or that white could be whiter. You may however here people saying I wish the laser was brighter. This to me is where the line needs to be drawn between achieving perfect balance or near perfect balance but maximum visibility.

Anyway, lasers are out of the question for me at the moment, hence why I'm not in any of the buys. Unfortunately I've had to change my car as repairs were costing me an arm and a leg. I've bought a new car now subject to a test drive, still to be arranged, but buying that has cost me an arm and a leg as well (although hopefully being only 2 years old and 13,000 miles, repairs will be a thing of the past now). So for now, buying another laser is a very low priority.
    Last edited by White-Light; 06-05-2010 at 10:41.

Next saturday i can do a comparison with a 457nm 250mw. I own a 457nm/250

Of course we have to dial the casio back to 250mw of course. We are going to test my dual setup and 4 setup that is manufactured this week at the metalshop.

I've seen 445, 460 and 473 nm. I have to say that I think 460 nm is the best blue - 445 is too much to the violet and has fairly low visibility. That's being very picky though...

Fired up my diodes for the first time today.
    It seems blue to me, albeit deeper than 473.

What struck me was that the reflected light off walls looked more violet than the beam itself to me.