Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where would I go for bits to make a 445 pointer

Quote Originally Posted by smogthemog View Post
    What a stupid thread

We should ALL be behind banishing anything more that 5mW pointers in whatever colour.
    As Chad has said Dave, I am suprised you have even mentioned this fact!
    I love you too Jim!
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

No offence Dave to you I hope but if we openly advertise how to make a 1W pointer on here then surely we are responsible if someone copy's what we have said/done and does the stupid - which could happen very easily.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

there seems to be alot of "pointer" talk on PL at the moment.

how do we determine who can own a high powered pointer and who cant?

is it a case of PL members setting the rules then other forums have to go by them rules?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

How does one regulate the sale of matches, fertilizers, or knives? You don't unless they become unobtainable....this is probably the balance side of the "bad" from the introduction of this....I am at a loss here.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    there seems to be alot of "pointer" talk on PL at the moment.

how do we determine who can own a high powered pointer and who cant?

is it a case of PL members setting the rules then other forums have to go by them rules?
    I don't think a single person here or anywhere outside of governing bodies is qualified to tell another human being what they can and can't do. The way I see it, there is no solution to this problem other than local laws and for sellers and group buy coordinators to decide for themselves how to act. In many countries, laser pointers over a specific low power are already illegal to possess or use in public. If those countries do not feel the need to enforce these laws, or if other countries don't even feel the need for those laws to exist at all, then what are we to do about it?

Exclamation

EDIT: OOPS i didn't see mixedgas's recent thread...
    Foreword....
    Okay i know that i am regarded as being a n00b on here as i have a hideously low post count, All i am wanting to do here is to express an opinion and a genuine concern for the safety of others

I am more than a little worried about placing a laser diode that on most accounts appears to be able to produce an output in excess of 1000mw in a hand held device, please correct me if i am wrong but i have never seen anything much in excess of 500mw, I really struggle to fathom a genuine use for a hand held laser of that power level.

I guess what i am trying to say is that the young and uninformed that would find the construction of a highly affordable (visible, the only things reaching such powerlevles before these LD's were avalible were the INSANELY DANGEROUS multiwatt 808nm diodes and how many were using eye protection for them) 1watt laser pointer appealing. I really worry that they don't have the respect for such a powerful source of light, At these power levels even diffused reflection is likely to be damaging let alone specular reflection.

I am just a little worried about personal injury for the novice (and any poor bugger that recieves an accidental exposure) that is likely to follow such instruction.

I'm all for sharing knowlage ( without it i wouldn't be playing with the toys i have today) as long as it can be emphasised that respect for the dangers and personal safety is just as important if not more so.

/Soapbox

But yeah the idea of having 1watt of 445nm blue is an exciting one none the less!

Matt
    Last edited by matt_man10; 06-06-2010 at 12:30. Reason: Must check forum before posting

Quote Originally Posted by danielbriggs View Post
    After all; guns don't kill people...
    That's true: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC03hmS1Brk

After all; guns don't kill people...
    As I stated before;

If somebody would decide to put a box full of highpower laserpointers into a cage full of monkeys. Would that be a good idea ?

No, because of their curious, ignorant and playful nature they'll inevitably end up blinding themselves and the zoo-visitors.

Will the argument, "pointers don't blind monkeys, monkeys do", make sense ?
    No, it makes the assumption of a strong moral or ethics among monkeys. Although rudimentary forms have been demonstrated, no one would ever send their children to visits these kinds of zoos.

That somebody offering a box full of highpower laserpointers certainly can be held responsible for his/her actions.

None of us here are monkeys, so why bother defending monkey-rights?
    Last edited by -bart-; 06-11-2010 at 06:57.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    None of us here are monkeys, so why bother defending monkey-rights?
    “THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist.
    THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew.
    THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
    and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist.
    THEN THEY CAME for the Catholics,
    and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.
    THEN THEY CAME for me
    and by that time no one was left to speak up.”
    -Pastor Martin Niemöller, January 6, 1946