Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: A plea for safety, pl edition.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Gentlemen and Gentlewoman. I'm the first to admit that goggles are but a crutch, that proper safety means designing the experiment,equipment,laser show, pointer play session, in such a way that you do not need the goggles in the first place. I'm the first to admit that goggles drive some hazards of their own. I also fear what the pointer community calls "uncertified" goggles as unsafe. I further fear the so called "homemade goggles" from useless theatrical gels.

I hate the fact that many only buy the goggle that they think will reduce the incident power to the so called "safe" 5 milliwatts, without measuring what is actually there.

It would also be a better world if the low cost goggles were actually "full wraparound"!

However if more then a few people start using them, that might result in a good thing, with high powered lasers in untrained hands. So while I decry depending on a 30$ piece of plastic that has, ironically, driven the used, quality, commercial goggles off the market, I still must welcome the fact that some people are wearing them. It will prevent some damage in a few situations.

In the case of industrial lasers, we know that proper goggles are mandatory. Key word: proper.

The saddest part is that there is no mechanism for removing counterfit, worthless, clone goggles off the market.

Case in point, the Asian low cost vendor who told a researcher that counterfit, untested, QD3 at 25$ was fine for class IV qswitched yag.

Case in point. This young idiot who should be stun gunned, drawn and quartered, hung, burned at the stake and then taken out and hurt! He's welcome to blind himself, that is his business. But when he preaches a false sermon on safety gear he is not worth a piece of silver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_kLnGR6CA

I love this line from him: "The homemade ones are for friends who happen to visit. These help with (like u said) reflections and split second exposure. "

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 07-07-2010 at 14:05.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

no offense but this is not a issue as long as carrying a gun is still allowed in the states, even it needs a license...

Of course its an issue, in the same way that the ban on handguns in the UK impacted on the legitimate users of handguns - and was largely ineffectual, because, if you own a handgun with the intention of shooting someone, the legality of owning one is unlikely to be of concern to you.....

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    no offense but this is not a issue as long as carrying a gun is still allowed in the states, even it needs a license...

Um, NO.

Laser and laser safety has nothing to do with guns and gun safety unless you have a hot pointer on your weapon and are aiming without the intent to kill.

Cool casio array (complete mirror assembly + collimating lens)

it is obvious that it burns instantly skin...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	445nmBurn.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	22737

pic 4 or 5 days after... outch !
    Connect your Raspberry PI to teleoperate, make and share securely any type of robots
    Low latency "game-like" remote piloting (100% free no-ads) you are welcome to test our robots!
    https://www.vigibot.com

Default Plea for safety

Steve I agree these should not be put into a laser pointer device however to blow the whistle with Casio is going to make something that we as laserists wanted for many years impossible to get having 1 watt of blue in a small package is a dream come true for folks who know how to handle it. I think education is key here we cant just put the genie back in the bottle and go about our business there will be a lot more people who can use this opportunity for the positive. Gasoline is dangerous we use it every day and some people light up a cigarette at the pump when the sign specifically says not to some of them are not with us any more you may want to call it thinning of the herd or eliminating some humans with the stupid gene however there will always be another one to take there place. I think we should not condone 1 watt laser pointers on this forum and I really hope little Willy does not get his hands on one but I think thats impossible that he wont and that scares the @#$% out of me. It reminds me of that idiot and his Son that pointed the laser at the aircraft back when and practically caused the laser show industry to collapse due to stricter FAA regulation on outdoor shows, Like pretty much its not worth doing them anymore.

Howdy -

Sorry to 'butt-in', but, couple-comments...

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    Steve I agree these should not be put into a laser pointer device however to blow the whistle with Casio
    For the 'record' - He didn't. People have largely underestimated Nich*a's involvement in this all... I'm not claiming to have any 'inside' info, but, it's not too hard to 'do the math' on this one.... ie: Prior to this 'easy-harvest discovery', these diodes sell, one-off, for $$$$ (...not sure of exact-price of these ones, but for-sure they weren't $35., dig?)

FF > today, where these are showing up on such 'public places' as eBay, WantonLasers, there, etc, etc - dirt-cheap. Now, if you were the manuf., and 'yesterday' you were selling them at $$$$ - but, today, they're on the market for $ - don't you think you'd 'put some pressure' on C@$!*, to 'stop the harvests'? Believe me, Steve, et al, could yell at the top of his lungs all day long about safety-concerns, etc, and it would be like an 'ant telling a train to stop'.... But you get a 'Billion-Dollar Gorilla' like Nich*a pissed-off?? I think you see the 'extrapolation', yes?

Quote Originally Posted by mmuhler View Post
    Gasoline is dangerous we use it every day and some people light up a cigarette at the pump when the sign specifically says not to some of them are not with us any more you may want to call it thinning of the herd or eliminating some humans with the stupid gene however there will always be another one to take there place.
    True. But the only 'problem' with applying this 'analogy' to this situation, is that in your analogy, the 'idiot' blows himself-up, and maybe a few others, around him - If sellers of these diodes just sell to 'whomever' (ie: like Wanton, there...) the 'boom' could very-well be like what you mentioned - nationwide clampdown, and we certainly *don't* need MORE Regs in this country, just UPDATE the ones we have, and ENFORCE against the hacks and idiots and illegal shyte-boxes pouring into this country...

Granted, that, too, is like an 'ant yelling at a freight-train' - but, ain't it worth the effort to at least *try*?? Like you said, EDUCATION is gold... trouble is, a) hardly anyone bloody *reads* anymore, and, b) unless there's better enforcement, all the educatioh in the world won't stop the illegals and hacks... BUT, if each individual 'seller' is at *least* 'careful who they sell-to' - make sure (as best you can) they're a responsible, experienced person - that should help somewhat, yes?

It's a condundrum inside a pandoras' box...

peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    For the 'record' - He didn't. People have largely underestimated Nich*a's involvement in this all... I'm not claiming to have any 'inside' info, but, it's not too hard to 'do the math' on this one.... ie: Prior to this 'easy-harvest discovery', these diodes sell, one-off, for $$$$ (...not sure of exact-price of these ones, but for-sure they weren't $35., dig?)
    This was my assumption, like I said before in another thread; imagine if somebody released tens of thousands of high quality diamonds into the marketplace for $35 a karat?

That person would seriously need mirrors on his shoulders.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Lased is offline THIS USER WAS CLUEBYFOURED

I don't have a lot of real firsthand knowledge about how Nichia conducts their business, but I always thought that the reason Nichia and other manufacturers charge so much for single diodes (which Nichia only sells as "engineering samples" from what I've seen) is to ensure that the people buying the samples are serious about their work, not just some guy on the street. Electronics designers who are serious, competent and who work for established companies are more likely to develop products that require thousands of diodes once mass-production begins which are then sold for peanuts compared to the price of the samples. I don't think that profit margin is their primary concern with singles, but I could be wrong.

In order for a manufacturer to include 24 class 4 445nm diodes in a projector that costs less than a grand the individual cost per diode would have to be quite small.

Hey there -

Quote Originally Posted by Lased View Post
    ...to ensure that the people buying the samples are serious about their work, not just some guy on the street....I don't think that profit margin is their primary concern with singles, but I could be wrong.
    Sure, and that's solid rationale, - clearly, the bulk of N*'s revenue is not from 'samples'... but, to Doc's point, even finding out about a relatively-small 'bunch of hobbiests' selling a 'comparatively small' number of these, as 'singles', for peanuts, has got to raise the hair on the back of their necks... Probably, more than anything else, what 'Wicked' did, got them 'aware' of what's been going-on, and pissed.... I mean, how much would they have sold those to WL-for, even in 'quantity', had this not all happened, ya know? Prolly more than $35/each...

Quote Originally Posted by Lased View Post
    In order for a manufacturer to include 24 class 4 445nm diodes in a projector that costs less than a grand the individual cost per diode would have to be quite small.
    Yep, and that just 're-enforces' the idea that N*a is most-likely the driving-force behind all the 'furor' - that's something they'd *only do* for a high-volume customer like C@$!*... Say C*o only planned to make 1000 of those projectors, ever - that's 250,000 diodes! (including some 'extra' for testing / failures, etc) - that's quite a healthy P.O., worthy of a 'deep-discount'... But to see them out there, at such low 'volume-only-pricing', because C*o "allowed" such easy-extraction - they've got to be like,
    '愚かクソの低能!'

...Again, like you said, this is all 'extrapolation'... But it does make cents, err sense...

cheers...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...