Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: A plea for safety, pl edition.

Maybe some of you scannerheads have forgotten the Russian laser incident. Enough LPF bashing, and stop crying already. Your complaining gives me cancer...
    Just enjoy this new wonderful technology!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by FML View Post
    Maybe some of you scannerheads have forgotten the Russian laser incident. Enough LPF bashing, and stop crying already. Your complaining gives me cancer...
    Just enjoy this new wonderful technology!

Can't do that, it has societal impacts beyond enjoying pointers.
    And mentioning Aquamarine with disrespect like is bad form.
    Aquamarine happened because of a lack of safety training.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

[QUOTE=mixedgas;149093]
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    I apologise for the sound of this post before I make it but it has to be said that I don't think I have ever seen a post on LPF describing a member damaging their sight through the use of lasers.

Your wrong, I can show you 5 posts in "health and safety" in the past two years asking for how to deal with retinal burns. All of them pointer related , and all of them obtained by doing things that are stupid. Some of them obtained with other people around.

If 5 LPF have them, then the sample of the general population that has them and that own high power pointer is higher.

Steve

From established members or simply first time posters who were worried enough to seek advice from a forum with the knowledge they needed? That is why I underlined the word member. At the time of damage they were not members of LPF.

Regardless, this is still not the fault of LPF.

M

Remember, the BP oil thing started because people that thought they knew what they were doing really didn't. All of you on here who are claiming to know what you are doing with laser diodes and condemning those on LPF or elsewhere need to think long and hard about that. Some of you are just as likely to accidently blind yourself as someone else over there. The hypocracy runs deep here.

Let's talk about LEMs for a moment. Is there any careless and/or reckless behavior going on there? Is it even remotely possibly that bystander could be hit by a beam in the face? Remotely possible? More like probable. If a person isn't paying attention and wanders into the wrong area they are going to get zapped.

Think about where I am going with this. Then step down from the horse and start worrying about what you do and no what everyone else is doing.

Lightbulb

I don't think any of these threads were created to point fingers; I know my "beast" thread wasn't. My main point was "Pay close attention to who you are selling these diodes and/or "whatever you created and put in the for sale forum/eBay...". What your buyer does with said diode/module may impact all of our access to this and future lasers.

That is IT!!! All this other bull shit is pointless and is hurting all of us in the end. It was a warning; take it as such. If you don't like it, disregard it; there is no need for all this negative discussion about it.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

\
    Think about where I am going with this. Then step down from the horse and start worrying about what you do and no what everyone else is doing.[/QUOTE]

Is that a threat?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post

Let's talk about LEMs for a moment. Is there any careless and/or reckless behavior going on there? Is it even remotely possibly that bystander could be hit by a beam in the face? Remotely possible? More like probable. If a person isn't paying attention and wanders into the wrong area they are going to get zapped.
    When we attend LEMs all attendees accept the possibility that their sight may be harmed and that it is their responsibility to look after THEIR sight. If you are not paying attention and wander into the wrong area and get a beam in the eye, that is YOUR fault for not paying attention when you KNOW there are MANY dangerous lasers in the room which are operating.

Nor are there any "bystanders" as these are *private* events.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    \
    Think about where I am going with this. Then step down from the horse and start worrying about what you do and no what everyone else is doing.
    Is that a threat?

Steve[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. I have no desire to disrupt a LEM. I am all for them. I just know that rules are blantantly broken left and right there and the justification is that since you are all experts and that you know what you are doing so the rules don't have to be followed. That's like a race car driver going 150mph down the highway when no one is around. He's probably completely safe until an unsuspecting deer jumps out.

My point is that there seems to be a lot of so called experts here who don't even followi there own rules who are condemning others. I am not saying you are one of them since I don't know you. But, I know it goes on. So, I'm saying maybe before you start policing others you ought to think about policing your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Diachi View Post
    When we attend LEMs all attendees accept the possibility that their sight may be harmed and that it is their responsibility to look after THEIR sight. If you are not paying attention and wander into the wrong area and get a beam in the eye, that is YOUR fault for not paying attention when you KNOW there are MANY dangerous lasers in the room which are operating.

Nor are there any "bystanders" as these are *private* events.
    Depends on who is defining bystander and private. These things don't seem to private to me. You just have to sign up and go. You can post a sign at a disco saying "anyone coming in might have a laser in their eye if they don't watch it" and expect that to fly. If the disco is a "private" club and you have to have a membership to go in does it make it ok to ignore the rules? If not, then why is it any different at a LEM? I am just playing devils advocate here. I really don't care or think LEMs are a problem. But the potential for an accident exists. You have lots of lasers, darkness, alcohol, an unlocked/unguarded door, etc. Where is the safety in that?