Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone thought of building the full modules and selling them?

Default Re

I feel you pain mate but honestly no one is complaining were just all gettin very excited about this price of these units. I understand u spent alot on your unit but at least you can now buy another 20 watts for the price you paid for your original unit. Then it will
    average out to about $500 a unit which ain't bad at all

oli
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Not sure if their 640 heads have/need TEC cooling but if not, add something on for that too.
    Indeed the 640s do have tec cooling - I have been running a LW driver on a 445 (using the Tec cooled base and the red coated optic) at 1.150A since 9am this morning. After the (what I assume is lossy) optics I am seeing 915mW rock solid . Shame the driver hasnt got the volts to run 2 in series - may look at a hack to acheive this but currently running it stock with the current and temp cranked a bit

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by oliverst14@hotmail.com View Post
    I feel you pain mate but honestly no one is complaining were just all gettin very excited about this price of these units. I understand u spent alot on your unit but at least you can now buy another 20 watts for the price you paid for your original unit. Then it will
    average out to about $500 a unit which ain't bad at all

oli

Yes of course, that's a good news for me too after all I will certainly add the blue colour to my two satellites for not so expensive...

But about the price of a ready made 445nm module, don't forget it takes often a lot of time and energy to build (not only the building, but the design, engineering, choice of the parts, testing, etc), and since the most expensive components will be the optics, which are necessary to have an exploitable beam with these diodes (not like the reds open can for example which are quite "plug and play"), you should expect a price a bit higher than a red "home made" module I think...

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    at 1.150A since 9am this morning
    Is this a run to destruction test Rob?

Quote Originally Posted by oliverst14@hotmail.com View Post
    I think $1000 is abit excessive, you could buy a laserman quad kit for £350, apparently the parts for a tec cost $30, as far as I'm aware at the moment the beat results are from axiz modules and lenses and there $50 for 5 of them so I'd make that $430 plus the diodes at $40 a pop so that makes it $590. then there is labour at $100-$200 so all in all were at just shy of $800 I'd be expecting to pay around this price for a 4 watt module so a 2 watt one should be alot less.
    the axiz modules/lenses are definitely not ideal for these from early reports... and $30 maybe for a tec without a controller... and what about the diode drivers?

I think a lot of people here are over-simplifying what goes into a proper laser module...

Originally Posted by oliverst14@hotmail.com
    I think $1000 is abit excessive, you could buy a laserman quad kit for £350, apparently the parts for a tec cost $30, as far as I'm aware at the moment the beat results are from axiz modules and lenses and there $50 for 5 of them so I'd make that $430 plus the diodes at $40 a pop so that makes it $590. then there is labour at $100-$200 so all in all were at just shy of $800 I'd be expecting to pay around this price for a 4 watt module so a 2 watt one should be alot less.0000000

LOL,,,, 800.00 dollars for 4 watts ???
    I can assure you, this will NOT happen.,,
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by flecom
    the axiz modules/lenses are definitely not ideal for these from early reports... and $30 maybe for a tec without a controller... and what about the diode drivers?

I think a lot of people here are over-simplifying what goes into a proper laser module...
    Can't disagree with anything there..

The Aixiz diode holders are really quite badly made and are only any good for small modules with short beam paths IMHO.

I find it quite funny that people who can't put these together are able to work out how much it should cost

Lava's modules are good value and I'm sure something will spawn from China quite quickly as well, so unless you have pictures of a local engineer/laser builder in a flowery gimp suit with a hamster sticking out of his butt and are prepared to hold him to ransom, these are probably your best options for getting a cheap laser together

I have a complete dual setup including a housing next week . It has two brass collimatormounts sitting on a brass plate mounted on a alumium baseplate with a 20mmx20mm tec in between it. Mccarrot is testing lenses as we speak and the driver is from Andythemechanic. It only needs a good prism pair or cilindrical lenses. The aluminium housing is anodisized by the way. The beamheight is 29mm and is exactly like the laserwave modules.

Does anyone knows where to buy these? If i know how to use these i can ad them to the design so that i can give the green light to the manufacturer to get 25 of these dual modules.
    Last edited by edison; 06-10-2010 at 12:50.

NO offense to anyone here BUT, please dont try to dictate pricing on these builds,
    there is alot of time and effort involved in building something that works, and for anybody to start whining ALLREADY about what the price should be......... is really insulting to the people taking the time to make it happen.

Just let the project finalize, and when they eventually go on sale, then you can decide weather you can afford one or not.
    RGB laser projectors
    Pangolin Beyond .NET
    APC40 Midi controllers
    Pangolin FB3 controllers
    DZ splitter
    LS MegaWatt Green Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    Something tells me, that if drlava were to sell these units himself, they would list for quite a bit under $1100 (unless he wants to get rid of the diode bought overpriced), and they would probably be listed here or in the buy/sell/trade section as well.
    The funny thing is that IS drlava selling that, the price is high because it has the first round of the diodes that sold for $500... He changed from fhwaghds to the new ebay name a bit ago... Give him a break he bought few at the $500 price....

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.