Thread: Lasergreen Pointer - attempted mod

Default Lasergreen Pointer - attempted mod

On ebay recently there have been auctions for green laser pointers which are badged "lasergreen.com". I won one of these recently and paid my money and waited for it to arrive.

And arrive it did.

I was pretty impressed, it arrived quickly and looked a nice unit. I explained to the "patriot" (my other half) that I was really happy with it. It did not start at all with the supplied battery, but a new pair of cells and it produced a small amount of green, then after about 10 seconds it snapped into a green beam about 6 or 7 mw. It seemed to like it HOT.

The excitement continued to grow, as I discovered the driver board button was the same as Lasermods pic of a WL, in fact it all looked the same.

How to get in ?

The only way in was with a small DC cutter, so it I went.

DISSAPOINTMENT!!!!

The internals of this pointer are terrible. It seems like they are held together with heatshrink !!!

I tweaked the pot and got a better result. I raised the input voltage to 3.5 volts and it died......

Its now a pile of bits, theres not even any decent metal, its just rubbish....

I am hoping my Maxy module arrives next week, and I do have some time for the tracking system this weekend so at least all is not lost on the playing front.

Gold

Hi Gold,
    Yeah, Ive had the same experience with one of these...except mine is still alive...somewhat..
    I started out the same as yours (1 or 2 mw) , I did crank the current up just a lili bit..just to get out 5mw was a chore..
    Very unstable, and poor design..It will take a dremel to get to the diode.

I know , I will NOT be buying another.
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

The dremel did well geting to the module but I think this is best recorded as a lesson. These pointers are crap........

Gold