Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driver help please

Quote Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
    Another thing I neglected to ask, how much current can this driver produce without overheating?
    The transistor I originally used myself could drive 800mA but it was only ever intended to drive a former DVD red up to about 300mA so this tranny could handle that without a heatsink. The more current you pull the more likely you are to need a heatsink. Your red will prob be ok, but depending on the size of green you are using (assuming you will drive green through this as well) you may have to heatsink as a green pump diode will pull lots more current than a red diode for lower output. For example a 100mW green may pull as much as an amp whereas a red (DVD Diode) will output 200mW from 300mA. The other limit will be the circuit design - see below

Quote Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
    I ask as I saw the thread about the 445nm diodes and may eventually give one a go.
    Will this driver handle such high currents?
    The limit with pulling higher currents is the 1ohm resistor and the power supply voltage. As I said the driver was designed for maybe 300mA or so so the 1ohm is fine but as the current goes up this 1 ohm is too restrictive and at higher currenst drops too much voltage that there isnt enough to go round - so ohms law dictates that the current will go to a point then stop increasing.
    As you go up un current you need a smaller resistor - drivers for 2W pump diodes in green and blue lasers will have something like a 0.33ohm resistor instead. As far as blue diodes go they will need 4V across them to work (red diodes drop 2v - give or take) so the power supply will need to be a higher volage for these to work at all.
    I would use the circuit as you see it for red and lower the 1ohm to 0.33 or 0.2 ohms (may need to experiment) for the green and blue with a higher supply voltage (maybe around 9V)

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

to add to this thread..........

would these drivers work for the "X"diodes?

ive seen these up on E-Bad for a while
    http://cgi.ebay.com/High-Power-Laser...item35aa40e2e3