Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which is the most expensive colour now ???

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    That's great, thanks for that. I had heard about the ML5XX71 range being under development, but this is the first time I have heard of a specific product being available. Apparently they're working on a 500mW potentially in the ML5xx72 or ML5xx73 range. I've seen this mentioned here.

So with the Opnext diodes, the divergence characteristics are 9° and 17° - about a 1:2 ratio.

With these ML520G71 diodes, the divergence characteristics are 7° and 35° - about a 1:5 ratio.

Fast axis taming optics would be required, I'd imagine much like the 445nm diodes we've seen recently (I'm not sure of the specific angles of those yet - anyone?). So aspheric collimators and either cylindrical lenses or prisms, which I gather to be quite lossy. Give the cost in optics and the associated losses, do we still consider these 300mWs to be more cost effective than the Opnexts?

I would be in for a group buy to try a couple out, and potentially more if these prove to be more cost effective.

Speaking for myself, given the fact that I just popped an analog module I built with one of the 445nm diodes into my projector today and watched some shows I don't see any need for complex optics for show use.. I'm getting 1.6mrad by .18mrad with an aixiz 405nm coated glass lens assembly. Shows look as good as ever.. Since these 638nm diodes are lateral multimode like the 445nm diodes I would expect them to have a similar profile. My current red is a CNI 650m unit with a big nasty beam..

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    When we find an effective and affordable solution to this blue diode I think we should do a group buy for the 250mW 640nm Optnex diode.

It is the same price as the 150mW and has better beam specs than these blues.

What ya think?
    Having reviewed the 300mW ML520G71 diodes and considering the pricing is most likely higher than the 250mW HL6388MG diodes, I believe these are most likely the more cost effective. My basis for this is the 1:4 divergence ratio and being priced similarly to the 150mW (assuming around 90EUR based on mccarrot's information). Unless anyone is aware of a source of the 300mW diodes supplying at a similar price to the Opnexts, I suggest the Opnexts are the ones to go for.

Does everyone agree? Assuming so...

Doc, if you, or anyone else here can suggest a good source for these 250mW Opnext diodes, I am happy to coordinate a group buy.

AFAIK the last group buy was arranged via the North American rep.

I'm not sure, maybe the Chinese division would barter a good deal?

Here's the contact page

http://www.opnext.com/contact/
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Soooo....

Who's up for it? Let's get some reds going!

I'm just awaiting pricing. Will keep you posted.

The 250mW diodes would very likely be a perfect fit with my dual module kit group buy posted on the 445 forum. That will have the correction optics and everything already built in. So a single blue and dual 642nm unit, or a dual blue and two dual 642nm units combined with a PBS might work out quite nicely.

umm..

ML520G72 500mw 638nm diode ?

50,000 yen sample price. chasing up availability and quantity pricing now
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

^That sounds like it might be the most cost-effective red diode so far.. I could only find data on the 300mW version myself..

Quote Originally Posted by aijii View Post
    umm..

ML520G72 500mw 638nm diode ?

50,000 yen sample price. chasing up availability and quantity pricing now
    Very interesting. I couldn't find anything on the ML5xx72 a couple of days ago. Nice one Though I wonder how divergent it'll be.

If the ...72 is the 500mW version, I wonder what the ...73 will be?