Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead 445 diode

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Hey David,
    Those are some great pics! They made me wonder- would it be insane to try and cut the can off one of these, and snip 2 of the 3 conductors, to result in a 1/3 power single mode open can? Sure you would lose 2/3 power, but for apps that only need 200-250mw I would think it would be plenty. Just a random thought while looking at the pics, just after reading another thread about collimation of these (hot topic).
    -Mike

HAHA well there ya go DZ...all those years of playing "operation" with your brothers and sisters will really pay off!!!

Mike, holy cow...thats cool...but my guess you better have some special equipment or some very steady hands
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Yeah- I'm wishing I didn't sell my mini Emco lathe! That thing would peel that can right off of there.
    I'm tempted to try it though- heck, worst thing that could happen is I waste 50 bucks.

Lightbulb

I know someone might get ideas from this and try this to add a lense closer to the die.

I was just trying to resolder the DC negative cable on mine back to the die4drive... The soldering iron touched the "big" black chip and POP... I obviously am missing some fundamental fact on soldering. Diode has a lasorb installed though; just have to swap drivers with one of the others I have... or get Mo to do it.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ElektroFreak View Post
    . I'm using a flexmod, and I'm feeding it with a 5V source. For testing purposes, I've also connected the mod input to the same 5V source. I plugged in the 5V source and I heard a faint pop through my nearby speakers from the small discharge that can happen when you plug things in..

Isn't 5v too low of a supply for these diodes? With the dropout, they should only be getting 3.8V or so.

As a rule I use a separate source when manually driving the Flexmod as grounding the - mod input will deliver the full output to the diode(at least according to the manual). I usually use a bench PSU or 2-4 cell AA battery holder.

My diode /driver combination seems to have no trouble with 5V in.. the diode is at 700mA giving 620mW of output.

The 5V on the mod line in the setup above was only for my initial testing of the diode. Now that the unit is safely installed in my projector I shouldn't have any more issues..

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I extracted the dead diode and cut the can off the top to see the inside. Thought I'd share the pics! I didn't resize them, so unless the forum software changes the resolution, these should be in pretty good detail.

Attachment 17976Attachment 17977Attachment 17975Attachment 17974Attachment 17973Attachment 17972

Oh Nice! Thanks for that David!

So, someone told me today that these are 4 emitter diodes.... This looks like a single emitter to me. I'm no expert on diode substrates though.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I extracted the dead diode and cut the can off the top to see the inside. Thought I'd share the pics! I didn't resize them, so unless the forum software changes the resolution, these should be in pretty good detail.
    Has anyone measured the emitter dimensions for one of these? It looks quite narrow, maybe 100 microns if the post the die is on is 1mm wide.