Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we class PL members as "trusted members"

The whole reputation game is a hard problem online, but we are hardly the first forum to have encountered these issues.

Take a wonder over to the "blue room" theatre technical forum (http://www.blue-room.org.uk/) where by the nature of the things discussed there can be similar safety headaches.
    Now visit without logging in (or explicitly log out) and you see a list of forums that do NOT include one dealing with electrical and power issues (A Major event can be a Megawatt load easily), log in with an account and the Electrical and power forum appears.

There might be something to be said for having a "Class 4" forum with similar logic, possibly requiring that people make a certain small (5, 10 something like that) number of posts elsewhere before it appears.

Anyone with a genuine interest in laser shows will notch up five or ten posts within a week or so, as there is plenty of meat elsewhere around here, those just trying to learn how to build light sabres will I would guess not find much of interest in the other forums and will probably never post.

I would note that the blue room electrical and power forum will get you HEAVILY schooled if you post something that is wrong, or even is only sort of right, they are not prone to let dangerous misinformation slide, but because of this the place is extremely useful and in fact probably has some of the most in depth discussion of some of the odd issues in event power that you will find anywhere. This only works at all as it has developed a serious safety culture over the years.

I would stay away from playing automated reputation games as they seldom work well, and doing the ask the moderator thing adds a huge amount of overhead and hurt feelings, just hide a class 4 forum from non members and those with only a very few posts, not perfect but it just may be good enough.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Regards, Dan.

^^ This

Having myself come a cropper in the BR rigging section I can only agree.

As well as registration, and small number of posts, couldn't we also get Admin to add a few innoccuous looking questions to the registration form such as 'What is your main area of interest?
    Pointers
    Balloon Popping
    Blinding Innocent Folk and Animals
    As Above Plus Children
    Real Proper Sensible Laser Show Stuff

This could then be used to ensure anybody answering anything but the last option doesn't get to see the 'good' stuff. And if we all kept quiet about it, nobody would ever know.....

I like the trusted member idea. Like a a new part of the benefactors area.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    I am a legend in my own mind
    Your a legend in my mind too....

--John

Fair points raised; I think the robots.txt file, barring search engine trawls form the sensitive area would be a good idea, at least google wouldn't steer the "sign up, snaffle high power whatever info" types (including trolls and the ones looking for commercial ideas).
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Having myself come a cropper in the BR rigging section I can only agree.
    But I suspect your rigging is safer for it!

The 'hidden from non members' thing might almost be sufficient on its own, while avoiding the whole 'reputation' can of worms, I would really hate to go there, but ultimately it is admins call.

Regards, Dan.

to me it is simple...to become a trusted member, we just copy the procedures already in place at LPF, as illustrated in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXYMf...eature=related
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Hahahaha or this, but a 32A 240v circuit last man "standing" wins the cake
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

This is difficult as I am new to PL but have a general understanding of laser components and have worked with Gene and Rick on here personally and over the phone to answer any safety questions I have that I don't want to post on the forum. Because I am new to PL I wouldn't be eligible for such "trusted member" even though I have a variance, do laser projector shows and have lots of room to continue absorbing all the great knowledge senior members have on here.

My intentions for joining PL was to learn from senior members and taking this form of communication away form the "new" folk will only help lead to gaps of knowledge between Senior enthusiast to junior enthusiast.

I also think that if anyone has a variance and a approved laser to run a show they have taken the steps to prove their wallets are empty and are in for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattatya View Post
    This is difficult as I am new to PL but have a general understanding of laser components and have worked with Gene and Rick on here personally and over the phone to answer any safety questions I have that I don't want to post on the forum. Because I am new to PL I wouldn't be eligible for such "trusted member" even though I have a variance, do laser projector shows and have lots of room to continue absorbing all the great knowledge senior members have on here.

My intentions for joining PL was to learn from senior members and taking this form of communication away form the "new" folk will only help lead to gaps of knowledge between Senior enthusiast to junior enthusiast.

I also think that if anyone has a variance and a approved laser to run a show they have taken the steps to prove their wallets are empty and are in for the long haul.
    sounds like you are ready to learn the secret handshake.... you got my vote after 50 more post +1
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Guys I really don't want to go down the secret society route. I've been up against those guys and I don't like it. I prefer a more civilized approach, and I do not want to go this way either: http://laserguild.com/home.htm

The closed forum requires nomination and a few phone calls to some one, ie we talk to you and prescreen you. We then need to see some small amount of artwork or hardware.

Set this up so your joining a professional society, like the Canadian Teachers Union. Canada's Manitoba Teachers union is model. They recruit future teachers, act as the ethics board,set the standards, and mentor beginning teachers. They usually end up working with the school district, instead of butting heads.

And like the local model airplane society, we want to see your ability to fly , respect others, and make sure your not sharing the same radio channel with another flyer.

Or the kennel club, you don't just get to walk into the ring, even if you own a purebred,you have to show some token knowledge and work your way up.
    But I sure as hell do not want to be a member of some cliquey, snobby, guild either.

I sense a need for phone calls and paperwork, and some way of verification of whom you claim to be.

Something like that where some discipline is required.

And I don't want to lock out the non professionals.

I don't know what to do about the "appliance operators".

Sadly, the situation possibly forces this upon us.

*****len is good reason why this is needed, and recently he has shown serious signs of reform, like starting to meet the terms set forth by others.

I'd like to hear what the 'lectronic freedom frontier/foundation folks have to say on this.

Also I do like the idea of the "magical" electrical and rigging sections.

One thing I DO NOT like is the idea of having to read 3-4 more sections, just "advanced technical discussion" and "lasers" can take me 20 minutes in the morning and evening. Not to mention the lounge.

Besides, I don't trust Grandmaster Pat with the dielectric mirror trowel. He might cut himself.

Go look at PPRUNE< The Professional Pilots Rumor Network, they have really nice operational discipline, posts get killed or edited by mods, but never blocked in advance. They also have it easy, as a pilots license, military situation, or airline employment is easy to check up on. They also have a not so private section for the non-professionals and the public to ask questions. You can read the pro section, but only post in the newbie section, airplane spotter section, or technical questions section if your not a professional.
    Its somewhat fair, and the pros do scan and post in the non-pro areas. Looks like the same software as here.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-18-2010 at 11:59.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...