Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flexmod P3 Review

Thumbs up Flexmod P3 Review

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01241.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	17937

I'd first like to extend a thank you to drlava for giving me the opportunity to test his new Flexmod P3 driver. I know there's a lot of people who have grown tired of waiting for the new Flexmod, especially since the old one has been out of stock for a while now. Well let me tell you, it is worth the wait. Drlava has nailed it with this new driver. I can't think of a change or an improvement he could add to make it any better.

First, let me introduce you to the new driver, this pic is basically of a pre-production model, the final product will look a bit different. Amazingly, the final model, will be the same size as the previous Flexmod. How he managed to cram all these new features into the same footprint is nothing short of awesome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01245.JPG 
Views:	276 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	17936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01246.JPG 
Views:	252 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	17938

Ok, the basics, the pots are different. These normal size pots replace the much smaller ones found on the previous Flexmod. These are MUCH easier to adjust in my opinion. Clockwise to increase current, counter-clockwise to decrease current. Along with the normal Gain and Bias, there is an additional pot for "Balance". This, aparently isn't something for a user to adjust and should be left alone.

Modulation- I measured the input impedance to be 97.6K, which is a wonderful improvement over the current Flexmod. I connected an open can diode to the driver and ran a couple shows, including a raster show and the blanking was spot on, as expected. Linearity appeared to be perfect as well.

Built-in delay- This new Flexmod has a built in time delay (around 5 seconds). Which I find to be a very nice feature!

Now for the good stuff, The tiny white wiring hanging off the P3 is part of an interlock! If you power the P3 with this white wire not connected, a little red led illuminates on the board. When you attach the white wire to +V, the led goes dark and the timer begins. A very unique feature. This isn't the best part though!

Does your driver do this: While modulating (projector was displaying an abstract) I decided to cut one of the leads to the laser diode, immediately, the red led on the Flexmod illuminated. I then grabbed my soldering iron and quickly soldered the cut wire back together, with the Flexmod P3 still powered! I then disconnected the white interlock wire from +V, waited the required 1 second and reattached it to +V. After the 5 second countdown the laser lit right up displaying the abstract pattern. I thought this was simply amazing.

Very nice work on this, drlava!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01248.JPG  

Last edited by DZ; 06-23-2010 at 06:31. Reason: Added pic with connections

Is there any way to not have the 5 sec delay?

Thanks,
    -Brooks

Sounds great!!! Do you know if the price will remain the same? And if not what kind of change are we looking at?

I want three ASAP!!
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Please DrLava, we invite your comment on estimated availability of these wonderful new drivers

excellent write up DZ we all look forward to another great DrLava Product.

Price and availability date would be helpful when possible.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

I agree! Great review, Great Driver! Put me down for 2!

I too would like to know availability and price.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hi DZ, thanks for testing it out. It's always great to get other feedback on a new design. To answer some questions: Yes, the delay will be disable-able. The price will be slightly higher than the N2, but not significantly. If all goes well, they will be available mid-late July in time for your builds for SELEM.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Hi DZ, thanks for testing it out. It's always great to get other feedback on a new design. To answer some questions: Yes, the delay will be disable-able. The price will be slightly higher than the N2, but not significantly. If all goes well, they will be available mid-late July in time for your builds for SELEM.
    Thanks Andrew Any chance you could star taking orders (either via a thread here or your web shop)?