Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone With A quad?

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    What sort of beam diameter do you have from the aperture out to, say, 1 meter?

Thinking that this arrangement might work well in a beam-rail application I'm working on, if I can get the beam to fit on the tiny-ass mirrors mounted on the GM-20's... (For sure it would be better than firing up the I-90...)

Adam
    if you use the right driver circuit with critical dampening, you should have no problem swinging .5 x .5" mirrors for at least 1" full travel. (power on gm-20 moves out of the beam, activate...mirror moves into beam) Bi Directional driving.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Cool

After further consideration, I'm not sure this will work. The actuators in the beam-rail are *NOT* GM-20's, as I had originally thought. They appear to be simple stepper motors. Also, the mirrors are no larger than 5 mm square. Now, in theory I could mount larger mirrors on the arms, but the problem is that the mirrors on the turrets are the same size as the ones on the arms, and mounting larger mirrors on the turrets would be a lot more challenging.

I guess I need to think about this one some more. I *could* re-fit everything to work with an 8mm beam, but maybe should start thinking about scaling this project back to just a 1 or 2 watt beam, which would fit just fine on the existing mirrors.

Or maybe I'll just hook the beast up to the I-90 as originally planned and deal with the hassle of 3 phase power and water cooling.... Crap.

Adam

Tough choice.

How many actuators are we talking about?
    Do you have a picture?

I guess you are using the actuators for analoge beam positioning and beam show, correct? In that case I would go through the trouble to make it work with that larger beam.

a 4watter beam show is 50% nicer then a 2Watter Beamshow
    Also remember that if you have it fixed for 4Watt you could use a 50/50 Beamsplitter and make double the amount of 2Watter beams.

I would go through the trouble if i where you, although i havent really seen your project so mayby its a really big job. PICS PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    After further consideration, I'm not sure this will work. The actuators in the beam-rail are *NOT* GM-20's, as I had originally thought. They appear to be simple stepper motors. Also, the mirrors are no larger than 5 mm square. Now, in theory I could mount larger mirrors on the arms, but the problem is that the mirrors on the turrets are the same size as the ones on the arms, and mounting larger mirrors on the turrets would be a lot more challenging.

I guess I need to think about this one some more. I *could* re-fit everything to work with an 8mm beam, but maybe should start thinking about scaling this project back to just a 1 or 2 watt beam, which would fit just fine on the existing mirrors.

Or maybe I'll just hook the beast up to the I-90 as originally planned and deal with the hassle of 3 phase power and water cooling.... Crap.

Adam
    with a little engineering you could build a lever arm configuration that would give you the travel...But I would shit can the whole works and pick up this little jewel http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...t=fiber+beamer
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Adam, is this an old mobolaser?

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

That ruler!
    I used to work with the owner of that company at another plastic welding and fabrication company.
    He had won the lottery or something like that and started up his own fab shop

The faceplate's controls give a good idea on what it does, well done!

The line of 2nd trimpots look like hell to adjust though
    Last edited by LaserCo; 07-13-2010 at 06:27. Reason: trimpots

Smile

Sorry for the late reply, folks. Been rather busy lately.

This is an old Q-beam beam rail. It's similar in operation to a Mobolaser, but as I mentioned before the actuators appear to be simple stepper motors rather than proper GM-20's. However, like a Mobolaser, the mirrors on the actuators (and the turrets themselves) are quite small. There are a total of 10 turrets, each with it's own actuator. The total length is roughly 28 inches.

I don't have any pictures now, but I'll try to get some up soon. Here's a picture I found on the web that looks pretty close to what I have though. (The case on that one is much deeper than mine, and I don't have any of the double-decker turrets, but otherwise that's what I've got.)

PAT: that rig you've got is awesome. If I had the cash, I would have scooped it up when you first listed it.

Adam

Phantom Dynamics - Omnisistem Q-BEAM 100mW DPSS Green Laser Beam Projector DMX-512 Nightclub Laser
    L-Q100GRegular price: $12,990.95Sale price:
    $8,990.95
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

holy crap.. i hope this website is from 1993 couse those prices are crazy.. lol

Cool

No, believe it or not, that's the current price. Think that's expensive? Check out the price on a new Mobolaser sometime. They're just as expensive.

For that matter, have a look at the retail price of just about any commercial laser projector (not just a beam rail, but one with scanners). They're all expensive! That's why so many of us hobbyists end up building our own projectors. It's a lot cheaper...

I agree that $9000 for a bunch of actuators and mirrors plus a 100 mw laser is outrageous, but remember that it comes with a variance. That's where a lot of the money is. But the rest is pure profit for the company that sells them.

The one exception to this high price rule is the illegal Chinese import stuff you see on E-bay all the time. But they don't have variances, which makes them technically illegal to sell here in the US. (Not that E-bay does much to police these sales, mind you.)

Speaking of E-bay though, even on E-bay those old MoboLaser rigs still bring in a lot of cash. I've seen them sell for as much as 2 grand. (Which is why the really nice one that LaserMan532 is selling is such a steal at only $1200. But I just don't have the cash for it - sigh...)

Adam