Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM - required equipment thread

Lightbulb

Bounce mirrors with mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Bounce mirrors with mounts.
    I have a couple of light bars & speaker tripods that could be used if that would help.

I have 1/2 dozen 2" bounce mirrors, (3) 4" bounce mirrors, and a single 8" bounce mirror that can be mounted to the light bars, along with (2) 4" diffraction grating sheets that can be taped to a couple of the mirrors (it's been tested with my 1 watt green, and works pretty good!!)

Should I add these to the packing list?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Wink Yes, bring that stand thingy...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    I have a couple of light bars & speaker tripods that could be used if that would help.

I have 1/2 dozen 2" bounce mirrors, (3) 4" bounce mirrors, and a single 8" bounce mirror that can be mounted to the light bars, along with (2) 4" diffraction grating sheets that can be taped to a couple of the mirrors (it's been tested with my 1 watt green, and works pretty good!!)

Should I add these to the packing list?
    I apologize... I forgot to add <cough>Stuka<cough> to my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I apologize... I forgot to add <cough>Stuka<cough> to my statement.
    <cough>no problem<cough>...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    QUOTE:
    "`Ground isolation plugs? "

Speaking from past experience one does not want to "Ground lift" anything in the auditorium.

I said bye, bye, to my Quadmod's color outputs from that experience...

Steve
    this may be true for laser and associated equipment, but for audio equipment, you may need one to eliminate a "ground loop" if one should occur. :-)

Smile

Steve's comment is related to an unfortunate event that happened at the very first SELEM back in 2007. Turned out that one of the outlets in the woman's dressing room was wired incorrectly, and when Steve connected to it, his computer was damaged.

Subsequent investigation showed that the building wiring is not the best. There is a lot of noise on the ground leg of the 110V wiring in the auditorium. Measuring from neutral to ground should always be zero volts, but in some cases we had low level A/C (up to 10's of volts) on some circuits.

We believe these are induced signals with very little if any real current capacity. Still, it is a very noisy environment, and you are correct in that we may need to lift some grounds on the audio equipment to avoid the dreaded 60 cycle hum.

I do have a pair of battery-powered direct boxes that I can use to isolate the mixer from the amps, but this does nothing to eliminate the ground loops between the various computers and the mixer itself. So we will still have the possibility of some 60 hz hum in the audio, if certain computers are the sound source.

To combat this problem, DJ Matt is going to bring a distribution panel with several 110 V outlets that we'll connect to the main breaker panel, and we will use this remote distribution panel to power as much of the on-stage equipment as we can. This will minimize (but not completely eliminate) the ground loops.

Adam

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    To combat this problem, DJ Matt is going to bring a distribution panel with several 110 V outlets that we'll connect to the main breaker panel, and we will use this remote distribution panel to power as much of the on-stage equipment as we can. This will minimize (but not completely eliminate) the ground loops.

Adam
    That's funny; about a quater into your post I thought "why don't we run a distro box off the main panel".

Smile

Just a reminder: Everyone needs to bring an extension cord and a power strip to run their equipment. In fact, it would probably be a good idea to bring TWO extension cords and TWO power strips, just in case.

There will be six 20-amp circuits on the remote distribution panel on-stage. That should be enough to power all the gear we have up there. Worst case, we can use the house outlets on-stage for things like fans and foggers, and just plug the computers and projectors into the remote distro box.

Still trying to get a measurement on the length of Ethernet cable we'll need to run from Reggie's office to the stage... Hopefully I'll be able to get in touch with Reggie today.

Adam

I've got 8-10 5" (i think) adjustable bounce mirrors if y'all think i need to bring them.

Running out of room in the altima and I doubt my jeep will make the trip.

Thumbs up

Hey Doug;

Bounce mirrors are always great - assuming you've got some kind of clamp to mount them with, that is...

We could hang them down from the railing on the balcony, or we could try to mount them on one of the lighting trusses on stage. (Targeting those overhead trusses on stage would be difficult though.) I think Jeff is going to have a pair of trusses on top of the scaffolding on the sides though, which might work as a mounting point...

I know Stuka is bringing a few bounce mirrors, and I should be able to bring 4 mirrors and a stand with mounts for them as well, but more mirrors are always better. Just be sure you've got a way to mount them to something...

Adam