Thread: My 445nm laser experience today

Default My 445nm laser experience today

I bought two diodes from the group buy and I decided to do something with them today. I put one in an old rectangular brass axiz module that I had first to see what the beam quality is. Let me tell you, that module has the best focus of anything. The line was very clear at 30 ft. Later I put the diodes in some normal Aixiz blanks and the output was no where near as clear.

Anyway, next I removed it from the brass module and pressed it into a blank. I ruined the first one doing. It was good I bought two. The next I took more care and pressed it in correctly. Like I said, the beam is not as good in these but it looks OK. First I used a regular plastic lens with the little hole. THen I went with a 3 element glass lens. The 3 element glass lens was slightly better than the plastic lens but nowhere near as good as what i was getting out of the brass module. In the future, I will use the brass module but I need to do some stuff to make it work first.

After than an aligning I did something I never thought I would ever be doing; I lowered the power of my blue to match the power of my green. I also put a new fresh red LOC diode in my red module since the other was dieing. In about 4 hrs, when it gets darker, there will be some kick ass beam shows going on in my living room!

As far as the blue goes, I checked it out and the beam isn't perfect but for my home use I don't even notice that it isn't a perfect circle. I'm not going to bother with fancy optics.

So, who wants my crappy Lasever 473nm module? LOL.

Smile

Hey Gary;

I'm curious about this "brass Axiz module" you're talking about. Does it have a different lens than the newer round ones? Do they still sell the brass ones?

I've got a pair of the diodes at the house as well, and one of them is currently installed in a round Axiz module with the standard lens that I got from Pat (which I *think* is 405 nm a/r plastic, but I'm not positive). I have to admit that the beam quality isn't all that great, but for that particular module it will be fine, as it's being combined with a red that has a fairly large beam as well, so it all matches up.

However, for the other diode, I'd like to get something with slightly better beam specs. So if these brass modules are still available, I'd like to hear more about them!

Adam

Here is a link to it:
    http://aixiz.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=122

The image is small but you will at least see what it is. It is nothing like the round blanks. The diode is held in by a orifice that screws in from the front. And the lens screws in afterwards. The adjustment of the lens is much more precise than the round blanks. There are probably other options out there that are cheaper and as good. I just happened to have 3 of these things so that's what I used. You might be able to find dead ones that you can get for free. That's how I got mine.

Oh - wait... That looks like you're buying the whole laser - driver and all - and then just using the housing? Am I right?

I don't see where they sell the bare housing all by itself...

Adam

Sorry. There appears to be some confusion. I don't know of a place to just buy the brass rectangular modules without a diode or driver. And the lenses in them don't fit in the round Aixiz blanks.

Smile

Ahhh... OK, I got it.

Well, I think I'll hold out for Andrew's solution then. Will be a bit more expensive, but it will be complete. Just thought that this might have been a way to get it done on the cheap and get better performance than the stock round Axiz modules. Oh well...

Thanks for the info nonetheless. Will you have that unit with you at SELEM this year?

Adam

I installed my 445 in my projector a few weeks ago and am using the round axiz module with the 405nm half threaded optic. The images look great to me, yea the blue beam is slightly larger than the red and green, but for hobby use its awsome.
    I can't wait to see how everyone elses set up looks.

I had to turn the blue down slightly to get a good color match too. Amazing how things have changed.

Blue Ray what's a Blue Ray..... (Useless now thats what)

Chris

I will not have the 445nm diode in a brass housing but I will have a red diode in one. I will change things around eventually but I am not touching anything for now since it is all working well. I wasn't suggesting that anyone should do what I did. I was just giving my data points.

The downside of my new blue is that it is almost like a TTL diode because the range of control I need isn't there. The levels of control are off, and then bright to brighter. What I want is Off to Bright. I'll take it over what I had, though.

I am looking forward to seeing all of the other 445nm lasers there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    I installed my 445 in my projector a few weeks ago and am using the round axiz module with the 405nm half threaded optic. The images look great to me, yea the blue beam is slightly larger than the red and green, but for hobby use its awsome.
    I can't wait to see how everyone elses set up looks.

I had to turn the blue down slightly to get a good color match too. Amazing how things have changed.

Blue Ray what's a Blue Ray..... (Useless now thats what)

Chris
    Sounds like precisely the same experience that I've had. I'm far from disappointed with the beam using the half-thread 405 glass. My system looks better than ever - even graphics!
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 07-28-2010 at 06:55.