Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: FlexMod P3 Analog/TTL Laser Diode Driver

Hold it guys...

That capacitor is supposed to go on the POWER INPUT side of the flexmod. It does not go across the diode!

It's designed to smooth out any voltage drop if your power supply can't keep up with the load.

Andrew explained it at the NWLEM. He was thinking about the funny spikes I observed on my flexmods when running them at high currents. He theorized that part of the problem may have been a momentary dip in the supply voltage. That would explain the spikes, both positive and negative. I just got a new oscilloscope, so I hope to replicate my tests this weekend to see if the capacitor helps.

But just to reiterate: that cap does not go across the output of the Flexmod! It's designed to be installed on the power input side only. And it has nothing to do with the lead lengths from the flexmod to the diode at all.

Adam

OK, great, thanks for that correction, Adam! We need to get that info incorporated into the Flexmod instructions for the non-engineers like myself.

-David

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hold it guys...

That capacitor is supposed to go on the POWER INPUT side of the flexmod. It does not go across the diode!

It's designed to smooth out any voltage drop if your power supply can't keep up with the load.

Andrew explained it at the NWLEM. He was thinking about the funny spikes I observed on my flexmods when running them at high currents. He theorized that part of the problem may have been a momentary dip in the supply voltage. That would explain the spikes, both positive and negative. I just got a new oscilloscope, so I hope to replicate my tests this weekend to see if the capacitor helps.

But just to reiterate: that cap does not go across the output of the Flexmod! It's designed to be installed on the power input side only. And it has nothing to do with the lead lengths from the flexmod to the diode at all.

Adam
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"