Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Interest in a module kit using prisms?

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    how can the chinese build an enitre green laser for a hundred bucks and we cant build a chunk of aluminum for less than 3x that?
    Pretty simple really. My quote was for something like 20 units.. Watch the price drop once 200-300 units are ordered..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Pretty simple really. My quote was for something like 20 units.. Watch the price drop once 200-300 units are ordered..
    You would need to multiply that by a few thousand to get any Chinese manufacturer interested......... and that would be per month!

We seem to have "progressed from triple to double!

Fraid it has bust my budget too!

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 09-12-2010 at 07:29.

user would need to supply tec ($15 from digikey)
    Model/part number pls ???

Hey I like that good eye !

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 09-12-2010 at 07:26.

Hey guys..

I ended up getting another quote from another local place., and this time, it looks much more reasonable.

This time, I can sell these kits for $80USD cheaper, making a complete kit as pictured $210USD. If the machined lid is not required, we can bring the price down to $190USD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	19504

Do we have some interest now? Think blue anodising!

Hi, my interest has rekindled but still worried about a few details.

This might be due to drawing interpretation.

TEC (Peltier and controller supply) ? (($15 from digikey didn't get me anywhere without more info).

Space behind diodes for Laserbugs ?

Space for driver board

Only one prism pair so no slow axis correction ?

Thermistor hole under knife edge adjustor not under diode mounts ?

Prism fixings ? (If glue then why mounting slots, not holes on prism table ?)

Cheers
    Last edited by catalanjo; 09-14-2010 at 03:36. Reason: digi-key part info request

Hey,

Ok, to answer your questions.

I have designed the module with digikey part number 102-1677-ND in mind. Its a 30w TEC, 8.6V 6A. As for tec drivers, there is the Dr Lava driver I believe, also the Die4Chill.

I doubt there would be space for laserbugs. I had trouble keeping the module as small as it is.. A hardwired connection would be my choice anyway.

There is a opening for a DB9 on the back of the module. If the user wants to squeeze the driver/TEC controller into the module, there is probably enough room, other wise it can be external.

Yes, only 1 prism pair (the updated drawing shows one of two clamps to hold the prism pairs in place ) Im not sure 2 prism pairs are really needed..

The thermistor hole has been moved, and is pretty much centred under the diode blocks. This will suit proportional ( like the die4chill ) You will need to mount the thermistor as close to one of the diodes as possible if using PID.

One other thing. The module sub base has slots, so if a user doesnt want to use prisms, the sub base can be slid so the aperture lines up with the laser beam..

Name:	blue module.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	19513

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    Hi, my interest has rekindled but still worried about a few details.

This might be due to drawing interpretation.

TEC (Peltier and controller supply) ? (($15 from digikey didn't get me anywhere without more info).

Space behind diodes for Laserbugs ?

Space for driver board

Only one prism pair so no slow axis correction ?

Thermistor hole under knife edge adjustor not under diode mounts ?

Prism fixings ? (If glue then why mounting slots, not holes on prism table ?)

Cheers

I'm definitely interested in obtaining a blue module from you or anyone else for around the price mentioned. At this point I am just holding out to compare results.

Also, while you are designing... a big problem that I have is that adjusting laser height is a pain. I have found that often just adjusting the focus of the laser will change the beam height slightly enough to mess everything up. I am thinking of possibly redesigning my enclosure so that instead of the modules being screwed down to my base plate, they will be mounted upside down on adjustable threaded stilts. My reason for mounting them upside down is so I can mount a properly sized heatsink/fan to the mounting side of my module while still being able to keep the beam an inch or so above the base plate. Something like this is very desirable for me so that I can easily adjust beam height as quickly as adjusting a dichro mount without having the need for an intermediate bounce mirror. Just something to consider.

Thanks Dave !

I am definitely interested in at least one !

Cheers

Hey guys..

I ended up getting another quote from another local place., and this time, it looks much more reasonable.

This time, I can sell these kits for $80USD cheaper, making a complete kit as pictured $210USD. If the machined lid is not required, we can bring the price down to $190USD

Name:	blue.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	19504

Do we have some interest now? Think blue anodising!

thats definitely a nice price for a nice looking module... does that include all the optics too? mirrors/prisms?

Unfortunately no optics. I think Simon still has some prisms left he may part with tho. and the o-like collimator is probably the best choice atm. In the future i hope to get some m9 retainers made for some other lens options

A super feature on this one, is its possible to remove the lid whilst the module is screwed down to the base plate, should the need arise to tweak the module in any way

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    thats definitely a nice price for a nice looking module... does that include all the optics too? mirrors/prisms?
    Last edited by dave; 09-19-2010 at 17:15.