Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: simple automated animation show: RIYA vs KAM tri260

update:

after some more research, looks like Quickshow+FB3 is a useless combination for my purposes as it won't let me save an ILDA show to it's XD card.

go figure why they're selling it with the in-built card in the first place.

oh well, looks like it's back on RIYA+ spaghetti as first choice...
    is there nobody in the uk that will sell a decent RGY projector+SD card player+ ILDA software bundled at for around £1000?

at least, knowledge is free,
    one step at a time.

david

D'oh!
    Spaghetti don't do text.

shall i add trace it to the equation or keep it simple with LDS?

mmh.

after some more research, looks like Quickshow+FB3 is a useless combination for my purposes as it won't let me save an ILDA show to it's XD card.

go figure why they're selling it with the in-built card in the first place.
    You're perhaps not getting all of the info, or at least interpreting it right

Yes it will, just not from Quickshow (yet ) In fact QS doesn't use ILDA as its native format anyway.

If you have a whole ILDA show as a single cue you can upload it through LiveQuick and play it back. In fact, even if you have it as separate ILDA frames you can upload them and play them sequentially using LiveQuick. You still get LQ with the FB3 QS bundle I believe.

Additionally, I believe that the forthcoming (very soon, I'm sure of it....) version 2 of QS also supports uploading of cues to the FB3 card for playback. Just might be a little wait....

http://www.pangolin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788

quote:"If you have a whole ILDA show as a single cue"
    -would any other ILDA capable software work or does it need to be a Pangolin product? (starting to doubt there).

quote:"if you have it as separate ILDA frames you can upload them and play them sequentially using LiveQuick"
    i need my frames (text) to fit a tight timeline (like lines of a dialogue), so approximate playback of frames wouldn't work in my case as it would be a nightmare to edit.

been looking for FB3+LA studio non bundled with Quickshow... doesn't look very common.

thanks for the clarification and forum link thought.
    (can't wait for new product to be released i'm afraid)

Anarchy + Spaghetti
    (thanks HN)

??

any other ilda software i should look at?

been looking for FB3+LA studio non bundled with Quickshow... doesn't look very common
    To clarify - when you buy an FB3, you get the software free essentially. In the old days that was the 'LA Freak' package which comprised Showrider, LiveQuick, Draw3D, TraceIT, etc

Then they released Quickshow, which you also get for free. So if you buy QS and FB3 you 'also' get all of the legacy softare.

There are no options on software bundle, because it's free anyway. You buy the hardware and they give you the software. The only software you pay extra for is LivePro.

I seem to remember that you can chain individual cues into a single cue in LQ (but may be thinking of QS - perhaps...) so you could get precise timings that way. Either way, if you have the patience, you could take individual animations and add to a single cue, and upload that to FB3 for your 'show'. You could get very precise timings indeed using the animation frame rate.

There are some FB3 shows that are quite complex on the ftp site that exist as single cues if you want proof that it can be done.

Lightbulb

Find a UKLEM; attend, then make your determination on what you need and what will best fit those needs.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Hi Norty,
    thanks for the extra advice. that is useful.

i refer you to my brief at the top of this thread:
    "required: a bicoloured (red and green) animation projected on a small wall (about 4m wide) displaying a "conversation" between red and green words/short sentences as if they were lines from a dialogue from a subtitled movie."

to achieve this effect, timing is absolutely paramount and i can't imagine a time effective way to create this other than to use a timeline editor which has an audio track with a graphic representation of a waveform so that the graphics can be visually locked to the peaks of a recorded voice sound file.

i'm sure it *can* be achieved with a lot of time spent tweaking timing values in a box editor but it doesn't seem such an appealing option.
    I know my need aren't so typical to the usual 'show', maybe that's why i need to look at the other products out there. (the fact that i know nothing about lasers doesn't help either)

but, from what you're saying i could look at these options:

TraceIT>Spaghetti>Livequick>FB3 £575
    Anarchy>Spaghetti>RIYA £240

Shame, i was getting pretty excited about QS

Not sure why you need to go the TraceIt-->Spaghetti route - you can create text easily enough in LQ. Just open a cue for editing, type the text, position it, copy the required number of frames for duration, add next bit of text, rinse, repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Not sure why you need to go the TraceIt-->Spaghetti route - you can create text easily enough in LQ. Just open a cue for editing, type the text, position it, copy the required number of frames for duration, add next bit of text, rinse, repeat...

have you ever tried to edit a movie subtitle or pre-synchronise a laser display to a music track?

if you just approximate the number of frames needed with made up values it will take ages to be tight whereas it will be much simpler with a visual representation (video track, soundtrack waveform) of the media you're trying to follow- if you're working in a GUI environment.
    maybe there's another way to easily solve this problem but i don't think guessing the number of frames would work for me.

in fact, this is the way the KAM software mentionned in the original post works, which prompted me to look for a better solution.

does anyone know of any other software with text edit, export to ILDA and timeline with waveform representation not already mentioned?

cheers,

dav