Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World’s Largest Depth of Field Laser Hologram

Default World’s Largest Depth of Field Laser Hologram

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Great Video Andy, thanks for posting it

I dream of making holograms like that... Ah well, perhaps one day.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

were all expecting to see one at the next meet jem
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

HA! Very Cool! I had no idea they made holograms that large. I'd love to see that in person.

EEVBlog is great. Dave is like the Steve Erwin of electronics with his high octane mannerisms in some of his videos. Everyone should check out more of his vids, they are great!

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    HA! Very Cool! I had no idea they made holograms that large.
    Well, the hologram itself is not particularly large. Imagine it more as a window. you only need a small window to see the entirety of the room beyond.

This particular hologram is a 'Transmission' hologram that can only be reconstructed using the same wavelength of laser that was used to create it. The depth of the image is directly related to the coherence length of the laser used to record it.

HeNe lasers may ahve a coherence length of 30cm, whilst a carefully controlled DPSS laser can have a coherence length of may meters. For instance a Coherent 315m or 532 ring laser would both be suitable to obtain images of this sort.

I suspect that this particular image was probably recorded with an Argon laser fitted with an Etalon. However, the image appears to be red, so that would suggest a red laser was used to record the image. Unless of course the image was post swelled so that it reconstructed in a different wavelength of light to which it was recorded.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Well, the hologram itself is not particularly large. Imagine it more as a window. you only need a small window to see the entirety of the room beyond.
    I understand that.... I meant the size of the plate. Looks lke they used a Krypton laser for that. I doubt a single he-ne would have the power for that exposure.

wow holy crap thats amazing... i have serious respect for people that make holograms... a long time ago when I was a little kid i tried to make some, got some close but they were mostly no good...

did meet some people in miami that were making holograms... they made the visa eagle IIRC

The Visa Dove hologram was made in New York by Ken Haines of ABNH, not in Miami. You're probably speaking of Jeff Weil in Miami, who makes masters for embossed holograms like those on credit cards. Ken was one of the early '60s engineers at Willow Run with Leith & Upatnieks when they did their first holography between 1960 and 1964.

sounds about right... think the company was called Holographic Dimensions or something like that

To get the scene and air still after so many people were in the room for the deep bar shots, how long do you think the would they have to leave before the exposure?