Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What wavelength is white?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    As Doc mentioned, because when you deal with ink (or pigment), you are dealing with subtractive color, whereas when you deal with light, you are dealing with additive color. Sorry dude, but there's no simpler way to say it.
    Just that statement clears it up a bit. I always though additive and subtractive colors were only dealing with light. I never thought to put that theory to pigments; it makes some sense to me now.
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 08-12-2010 at 15:57.

R is for Riddum,B is fer Bloos,and Y is Yodull,,,I thot.
    What the hell,I'm color blind now anywho!

Hi, my name is Gene and i am an.........?...................

lol.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

This is like asking "what frequency is white noise?".

It is all frequencies.

Similar with pink noise, only the levels change with frequency, much like the various balances of white light.
    This space for rent.

White is confusion not a mixture of specific colours! oops maybe here it should be colors! (see what I mean).

I tried mixing red from a dye laser (or was it a die laser) back into part of the original pump beam from a bloody great 27W argon stuck on a half a 50cm diameter waste tube filled with concrete. (The other half of the tube had a 3mm lead cover to protect the whole deal from the appalling amount of sound generated in the disco where all this was happening.) My point is that it was stable!

I discovered that the red DID NOT mix with either the green or the blue from the pump laser despite these colours/colors mixing happily with each other.

The beam was speckled blue/red or green/red or turquoise/red etc.

Visualize colored glitter mixed in different proportions on a piece of white paper and you get the idea easilly . Blue glitter and red glitter mixed does not look the same as purple glitter (unless you put the paper on a loudspeaker like I did).

The earlier krypton laser I had installed however did mix its red with its blue and its yellow and its green.

To get them to mix the beam has to move unless the colours/colors come from the same laser source.

Result of all this was that I got covered in orange dye which took ages to wear off and got even more addicted to mucking about with lasers.

I also discovered that when you let 27watts of argon touch your finger nail you hear the sound phzzzz BEFORE you feel the pain

All in all white is most confusing!

What my granny called white, I call yellow. What I call white she called blue!
    (must be too much soap powder adverts on the box)

Darwin theories appear to work at high speed with humans so maybe our grandchildren will be able to see xrays!

White is not only confusion it is a "cultural confusion". Try watching color TV in Japan.

Chinese people see supposedly "white" people as PINK! (and they all look the same pink).

Lasers are music (as are old leds) light bulbs are mainly noise.

Newer LEDS are kind of fuggy flourescent pumped with UV the equivalent of listening to flamenco in MP3 (it just doesn't quite hack it).

If you are really serious about white, I would suggest 12 semitones. Even if we only can see 3/4 of an octave (according to the doctors/biologists) anyone who has worked with HeCads will tell you that distant UV has a "mother of pearl" color, and if you train yourself a bit by watching an electric fire go dim in a darkened room you can "learn to see" well into the infrared. ( I will avoid going magical and mysterious and talking about auras here so as not to offend people who believe in that stuff).

Hopefully we will get there before I shuffle off my mortal coil !

So much for the increasing speed of development of technology !

I have been waiting for this for more than thirty five years and it feels like having a piano with only three notes working. (please do not sell off your 475s just cos there's a new kid on the block with lots of muscle!)

Nuff said
    Cheers

PS. Maybe best to read this after a few beers (or whatever does it 4 U).

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Hi, my name is Gene and i am an.........?...................

That's about the only thing in this thread that makes sense. Hahahaha....

Quote Originally Posted by catalanjo View Post
    White is confusion not a mixture of specific colours! oops maybe here it should be colors! (see what I mean). .........

PS. Maybe best to read this after a few beers (or whatever does it 4 U).
    Sounds like you wrote it after many beers.

Spot on mate
    Cheers