View Poll Results: Hazer or fogger for laser display?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fogger

9 16.98%
  • Hazer

44 83.02%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hazer vs Fogger for lasers display

The most effective technique (IMHO) is to place an industrial, variable speed work site blower, perpendicular to a standard fog machine. So the fog shoots into the blower, and is blasted into the air.

This allows you to adjust exactly how much fog is diffused into the air. You can order these blowers from any industrial supply co. like www.grainger.com they're about $60.

This also creates an amazing effect, say your scanning a large cone into the air, and shoot a blast of fog which is then diffused and blown out from the blower. What the audience sees is this 'tornado' like cloud...it's spectacular!

I learned this trick from PACE production co. out of TX, they used this method for their traveling Pink Floyd laser shows in the early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by superj7777 View Post
    The most effective technique (IMHO) is to place an industrial, variable speed work site blower, perpendicular to a standard fog machine. So the fog shoots into the blower, and is blasted into the air.
    I prefer to place the fan behind the smoke machine. You still have enough velocity to move the smoke, but you dont end up with a fan covered in crap. Once the fan gets smoke fluid on it, all manner of dirt will stick to it and you will never get it clean again.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    I prefer to place the fan behind the smoke machine. You still have enough velocity to move the smoke, but you dont end up with a fan covered in crap. Once the fan gets smoke fluid on it, all manner of dirt will stick to it and you will never get it clean again.

^^ +1, I use a 24" fan behind the fogger ^^
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    Actually I'm talking about a totaly different effect than the fan behind the fogger method.

Check this link out http://www.electricsuppliesonline.com/airki95piutb.html

With this type of fan (Squirrel cage downdraft design) you lay the fan perpendicular in front of the fogger. Yes, it does gum up the blades over time. But the effect is much more dramatic, as it is not only diffusing the fog (as you would with the fan behind) but it is also blasting out a thinned out haze. And, becuase the fan is much more powerfull than a standard hazer's fan, it is much more instantanious.

Try it, you'll like it....I almost guarantee it

You get exactly the same effect with the fan behind the fogger and the fan stays clean.

My 24" floor fan can blast a fairly concentrated cone of fog about 40' on full speed.
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    You get exactly the same effect with the fan behind the fogger and the fan stays clean.

My 24" floor fan can blast a fairly concentrated cone of fog about 40' on full speed.
    Wow, I've never tried a box fan, but how do you get it to shoot up? Or, does it only shoot straight ahead?

I've never tried a fan that large before....

Quote Originally Posted by superj7777 View Post
    Actually I'm talking about a totaly different effect than the fan behind the fogger method.

Check this link out http://www.electricsuppliesonline.com/airki95piutb.html

With this type of fan (Squirrel cage downdraft design) you lay the fan perpendicular in front of the fogger. Yes, it does gum up the blades over time. But the effect is much more dramatic, as it is not only diffusing the fog (as you would with the fan behind) but it is also blasting out a thinned out haze. And, becuase the fan is much more powerfull than a standard hazer's fan, it is much more instantanious.

Try it, you'll like it....I almost guarantee it
    Thats a damn good looking fan. I haven't seen anything like that over here. Especially for that price.
    I usually use these.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

In a perfect world, I'd like a large oil based haze machine with small fog machines near each projector to get the best of both worlds.

I though I was close to that with what I have but, I'm disappointed with the oil based hazer I got a few months back. I suspect I need more than one as big as my venue is but at $450 each, I don't want to get a second one "as a test", just yet. In the interim, I bought two Antari Z300 fazers this week for the bulk of the atmosphere and I have two Chauvet HZ1100 fog machines hooked up as well right near the projectors for that periodic blast to achieve the paisly look Adam mentioned above. Two 10 ton A/C units are serving the room so, the air movement does a number on hang time. Tonight I've got a 5 hour dance event with 600 people so, I'm looking forward to some real testing to see how THIS combination works out throughout the course of an evening.

I prefer haze for the weddings since it's almost invisible so, at some point, I know I'll have to bite the bullet on another oil based haze machine.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

TOO.........MUCH..........SMOKE. Amazing how fast approximately 99,000 cubic feet was full! Even the DJ commented (over the mic) on how smoky it got!

Was that the Fazers that tipped the balance, or the Chauvet? I'm thinking about another machine as a backup plan in case my big fogger breaks, and toying with a hazer/decent fazer as a slightly different alternative.