Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midi File to laser projector?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You dudes are like totally like missing the obvious like cool idea. Tim Walsh's "Scannermusic" concept comes to mind. A scanner core is usually, at first principles, the same as a 2 to 8 ohm speaker. You design the frames to play notes or appeggios or whatever while being visually appealing/

To give you a example, a 5 pointed star is a perfect fifth. Yes, a star is a 3:2 ratio of frequencies.

You just AC couple the galvo control signal into your amplifier after reducing its level, about 5$ worth of parts to do this. X and Y = stereo, too.

Run the scanner signal into a laptop running a FFT program, in case you don't have perfect pitch/

A freaking octave is eight notes over a 2:1 range. So if you tune your eight frames or animations at 8 Kpps, then scan them at 16 Kpps and 24 Kpps, you just had 3, count em three, octaves of range. Ie if the frame is constant and you very the scan speed, you just changed the sampling rate.

Do a X or Y spin for vibrato.... Hide notes and timbres in the color modulations, too.

Tim would probably be overjoyed to give you some pointers. He used a Lasergraph DSP and a MIDI keyboard. But he never did a corrected scale.

Abstracts and simple shapes are your friends for this cosmic adventure.

Duh!

*sorry for the sarcastic hippie attitude but its 4 am and I can't get no sleep*

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-24-2010 at 00:46.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    You dudes are like totally missing the obvious. Tim Walsh's "Scannermusic" concept comes to mind. A scanner core is usually the same as a 2 to 8 ohm speaker. You design the frames to play notes or appeggios or whatever while being visually appealing/

To give you a example, a 5 pointed star is a perfect fifth. Yes, a star is a 3:2 ratio of frequencies.

You just AC couple the galvo control signal into your amplifier after reducing its level, about 5$ worth of parts to do this. X and Y = stereo, too.

Run the scanner signal into a laptop running a FFT program, in case you don't have perfect pitch/

Duh!

*sorry for the sarcastic attitude but its 4 am and I cant sleep*

Steve
    We don't mind the sarcastic attitude, it all comes to the info and that's what counts
    do sleep though XD.

and that sounds interesting ;3

Sounds interesting Steve. I can't really envision what it would look like coming out of the scanners, though. It would be interesting to see it. There are probably a lot of ways to hook music to scanner output, even if there is a ton of processing in the middle. One of the guys at SELEM (BlowFly perhaps) was talking to me about some media player visualizer programming that gave me some ideas. I'm pretty sure there will be some visualizer type stuff coming either from Spaghetti or some other new app of mine soon.

Also, the Laserium stuff at SELEM blew me away. That's the stuff that got me interested in lasers probably 30 yrs ago. It was awesome to see some more of it after sitting through way too many spinning trumpet animations.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Sounds interesting Steve. I can't really envision what it would look like coming out of the scanners, though. It would be interesting to see it. There are probably a lot of ways to hook music to scanner output, even if there is a ton of processing in the middle. One of the guys at SELEM (BlowFly perhaps) was talking to me about some media player visualizer programming that gave me some ideas. I'm pretty sure there will be some visualizer type stuff coming either from Spaghetti or some other new app of mine soon.

Also, the Laserium stuff at SELEM blew me away. That's the stuff that got me interested in lasers probably 30 yrs ago. It was awesome to see some more of it after sitting through way too many spinning trumpet animations.

I saw there was a laser visualisation program for winamp ^^

John, pay 10$ for the fascinating book "Harmonograph, A Visual Guide to the Mathematics of Music" authored by Anthony Ashton. All will become explained.

Tim Walsh was a member of "Brave Combo", a Texas "Nuclear" polka band. He knows what he's doing, and when he played the tape at LFX... Oh wow... It may not work 100% note by note, as he was using it as a whole "Phrase" but its a whopper of a concert and concept. People sat there spellbound. You've heard "Brave Combo" in movie soundtracks.

Most of the principal Spirograph patterns we know and love, correspond to musical scales and chords.

Tim is ILDA chair and in Texas. You might wish to ask him if he has a Youtube video. I know there was one at one time.

Its his concept, his baby. Talk to him, you might like it.

Steve

Pango has a AVS visualizer, I'm sure I saw another AVS at SELEM, but the Kalua was kicking in. Paging DR Lava...

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Pango has a AVS visualizer, I'm sure I saw another AVS at SELEM, but the Kalua was kicking in. Paging DR Lava...

Steve

Yeah i heard, I saw it being ported to easylase.
    *at least my friend has it on his easylase* or he made it.

I'll have to go look for the Harmonograph book- it sounds very interesting. A girl I used to work with had a father who was a math professor. he would spend hours, and even get grants, looking for and analyzing patterns in music. He was a big fractal fan too. Golden ratios, etc.
    I have been working on a visualizer lately, it is part of a pattern generator I have been playing with. The visualizer is just part of it and is in its infancy right now (actually just got it fired up for the first time a few days ago). As it sets it wil output to Easylase or ILDA file.
    -Mike