Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: Quickshow 2.0 BETA now available!

Quote Originally Posted by Lassie View Post
    Yes indeed, QS2 is a great package and the only thing "wrong" with it is the fact that i cant make full use of my APC40 with it. It's not a reason for me to go Beyond QS2, but maybe a reason in the future to look for another package from another manufacturer and i don't want that, i love Pangolin as a company and the products they make. So i hope they will put this feature in. I'm even willing to pay for it, so maybe as an add-on or something.
    Have you looked at the MIDI implementation in LivePro?
    It supports quite a bit more than QuickShow does (or probably will).
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Yes indeed, QS2 is a great package and the only thing "wrong" with it is the fact that i cant make full use of my APC40 with it. It's not a reason for me to go Beyond QS2, but maybe a reason in the future to look for another package from another manufacturer and i don't want that, i love Pangolin as a company and the products they make. So i hope they will put this feature in. I'm even willing to pay for it, so maybe as an add-on or something.
    Yes i have looked at LivePro but i don't like that program.

Yes i have looked at LivePro but i don't like that program.
    Why?

I'm guessing because you haven't got to grips with it properly as its the industry standard programme and probably the most powerful live show software in the world. The only thing is it is complicated which I'm guessing is why you've found it difficult. I suggest you get Mark's training DVD's if you're struggling: http://www.laserinsanity.co.uk/pangolin.html

I doubt you'll find another package at QS level thats as powerful. Most don't even come close.

IF you think there's a problem with the DMX / MIDI implementation then contact Bill via the Pangolin website as he will be able to give you an answer. It might be there is a problem.

However understand that QS is semi-pro / small club level. Very capable but with limitations. If you want full professional features then ultimately Live Pro and eventually Beyond are likely to be for you. No manufacturer is going to give you ultimate power for $500 when to do so would mean that they couldn't sell their professional software at $2,000. There has to be a split somewhere and QS has more features and power then any other software at this price level that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post

No manufacturer is going to give you ultimate power for $500 when to do so would mean that they couldn't sell their professional software at $2,000. There has to be a split somewhere and QS has more features and power then any other software at this price level that I can think of.
    Phoenix Live supports the APC40 and can be configured 100% thru midi. You can even make your own interface. It's very flexible. Still i think QS2 has a much better interface and better output.

Horses for courses but if there are issues with the midi implementation talk to Bill. It could be a mistake or could be deliberate, I honsetly don't know but he can give you a definitive answer as to whether its a policy choice or a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    Horses for courses but if there are issues with the midi implementation talk to Bill. It could be a mistake or could be deliberate, I honsetly don't know but he can give you a definitive answer as to whether its a policy choice or a problem.
    I sent a support message in via Pangolin site a few days before I posted the message here. No response yet.

Many DJ and VJ software packages have this as a base feature. These software packages are on the low end of the cost scale. IMO midi is pretty useless if you can't assign or program your controller. Even the midi keyboards they show on the Pangolin site, how would you know which cues and frames are where on the keyboard? Doesn't make sense.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nocolaser1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	20276
    A shot from a recent private event for a friend. Enjoy!

Most of the Pangolin crew is probably tied up with the PROLight and Sound show in Shanghai right now, and may not be available for a quick response.

As far as your other comments, you might need to spend a bit more time with the software!!

The latest QuickShow beta release definitely supports MIDI key-to-cue assignment, and it works quite well!!

See my Post # 106 on how to set it up -

You may not be able to right-click a cue and assign a key "at will", but you can easily set up a sequence and rearrange cue pages to give you access to up to 60 individual cues per page, using the key mapping sequence you select. An additional enhancement that should be coming out soon enables the selection of up to 16 individual pages. Once this is setup, you'll have access to any cue, on any of up to 16 pages, on demand, via MIDI.

(Remember - this IS beta, which means "it ain't done yet... )

It works QUITE well - I tested it linking to Showtime, and using several different software-based MIDI controllers, all using standard General MIDI channel and "note on / note off" controller messages, and everything works fine!

At the very least, with the current beta release, you should have access to a full page of cues (your page choice - use the "direct all notes to current page" option), on demand, using your key sequence.
    If that doesn't work - could be you might have a configuration issue, or there might be a programming issue with your particular controller, perhaps?

If it's the lack of a visual confirmation that is your primary complaint, that's one I definitely don't quite follow -
    As mentioned previously, a selected cue is VERY obvious on the QuickShow cue grid, even if isn't active.

Plus -
    I could be wrong, but controller "status light" activation sounds very much like an advanced controller feature that requires very specific driver support within the software, or some sort of interface applet running in the background. All the MIDI implementation that I have seen in the Pangolin software (for the QM2000 and FB3) - which is quite robust, by the way - relies almost exclusively on General MIDI standard controller implementation, which maintains compatibility with the widest range of MIDI controllers, and no requirement for controller-specific drivers. Virtually every major control feature and every cue in the Pangolin software can be selected by nothing more than standard "note" and "continuous controller" messages

As far as "knowing" which key selects what cue, the user establishes the key sequence -
    after that, the key-to-cue mapping is set until changed by the user, so really knowing the mapping comes from practicing with the hardware and software.
    (Just like a keyboardist has to practice to know which key corresponds to which note on a piece of music - only this is easier!)

QuickShow's MIDI implementation works very similarly to that of LivePRO, which is used by some very well-known pros around the world (some who post here).
    I think if that particular implementation - or lack of "status" light activation - were a problem that would impact most users, it would have been addressed a long time ago.

Personally, I REALLY don't think the lack of LED "status" activation on a particular brand of MIDI controller means QuickShow only has a "half implemented MIDI control system...
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-16-2010 at 12:32.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Phoenix Live supports the APC40 and can be configured 100% thru midi. You can even make your own interface. It's very flexible. Still i think QS2 has a much better interface and better output.
    Phoenix Live was designed to work with that specific controller, wasn't it?

The Pangolin software supports General MIDI controller input, so virtually any MIDI controller that can generate standard "note" and "continuous controller" messages will work just fine.
    RR

Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by weknowsnow View Post
    I sent a support message in via Pangolin site a few days before I posted the message here. No response yet.
    Hi,

Please send your message directly to me (William Benner), using our contact form at www.pangolin.com/contact. If you have already done that, then do it again because I don't recall receiving any messages about MIDI.

We'd like to explore this topic further with those who are "in the know", so please send a direct message using our contact form if you are interested.

One thing I don't think Randy mentioned is that, just a few days ago, he found a problem related to MIDI. He reported the problem to us and we responded within a day with a fix.

Best regards,

William Benner

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post

One thing I don't think Randy mentioned is that, just a few days ago, he found a problem related to MIDI. He reported the problem to us and we responded within a day with a fix.

Best regards,

William Benner
    They fixed the minor bug - and added a couple more enhancements, to boot!

The final release of QuickShow 2.0 is REALLY going to be nice!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-16-2010 at 12:17.
    RR

Sweet.....