Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero Point Energy, Perpetual motion is possible

IIRC, Pat (Laserman532) has done a little research on this. Maybe he will chime in.

My daddy always told me there was no such thing as a free lunch. I suppose the laws of physics say the same thing.

Friction is always the bitch with these machines, even magnetic bearings still have air resistance to deal with. That and you have to somehow connect a generator.

Magnet bearings in a vacuum could be interesting, however you still have the issue of the generator. Even if you could have a magnet bearing based generator, the eddy currents in the generator windings would act to slow your device down.

I never expected PL to be such nice guys in respect to this topic!
    I'll give it another day so that the guys on the other side of the planet can have their say...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience

Norty, I like the point you made about the repulsion that would slow down the wheel as it approached the fixed magnet. I considered this, but it seems as though, after giving the wheel the initial push to start, it's inertia would overcome the resistance to push it over the threshold and continue pushing it forward. Friction is a pain, but I still feel like this is worth a try if not just for the sake of improving my DIY project skills. Can anyone tell me how to attach a picture from my computer to a post? I have a simple sketch of the concept and my design I made in paint. Thanks for the input, it's good stuff. Remember I'm just a college student, so I'm not offended when I'm told "YOUR WRONG", or "IT WONT WORK." Learning is half the fun!

I also just finished reading this: http://www.nuscam.com/perendev.htm
    which states that such devices can work, but the problem is the magnets "maximum energy product" which is the amount of work the magnet can do before its level of magnetism drops to the point its no longer interacting with surrounding objects. An interesting article, seems that it was written by someone thats had a lot of experience with such devices.

Jonathan
    Last edited by Pianoman; 08-26-2010 at 07:31.

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    IIRC, Pat (Laserman532) has done a little research on this. Maybe he will chime in.

My daddy always told me there was no such thing as a free lunch. I suppose the laws of physics say the same thing.
    more research than I care to admit...but "I" was gonna be the one that shatters the second law of themodynamics. I put years into it.

My controversial video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgsWh-O3RU0 which has over 700,000 views on youtube was a scale model of the perendev magnet motor in which i tried to replicate. My video is controversial because i only closed one of the stators but when i closed both stators, king knog couldnt move the rotor it was locked up by the magnetic field.

My goal was to build a miniature version to power and recharge sailboat batteries (fail...when solar panels can do it much more efficiently). Bottom line is a magnetic field is NOT stored energy that can be extracted. There have been prototypes that "appear" to work but they ALL wind down, not to mention what happens when you put a load on them.

There are thousands of people working on "over unity" devices and there is promise in some areas, however no viable alternative yet. There are 10s of thousands of hoaxes.

Dont give up the dream, I just keep in mind hundreds of people laughing at the wright brothers in that vacant field.

EDIT- Perendev design is a total scam
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Ok, so assuming I've understood what you're proposing correctly, here's a few issues I can see.

The fundamental idea seems to be that as each magnet come sup to the fixed one, it is repelled and thus continues to spin the wheel in the current direction.

The problem is that as each magnet approaches the fixed one it will start to be repelled in the opposite direction, thus slowing the wheel down.
    Now assuming it has enough momentum to not stop it will pass the fixed magnet and be repelled, thus speeding up again.

At this point you have a theoretical perpetual motion machine - however as soon as you take into account friction effects at the wheel hub, you effectively have a machine that will eventually stop and hover between 2 magnets on the wheel.

Now if you want to generate energy (such as via a dynamo attached to the wheel) you massively increase those friction effects and it'll probably stop almost instantly.

Now, if you could introduce some sort of shield that 'masks' the approaching magnet on the wheel from the fixed magnet, you could have a wheel that only pushes in one direction - I'm no scientist or enginer so I have no idea if 'anti magnet' materials exist and how effective they are at blocking magnetic fields.
    you may be no scientist or engineer but you pegged the "problems" precisely. They do install shields to reduce the interference of the approaching gate, however...the interference is still there, and yes...all magnet motors will be stopped at the gate once friction is introduced.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Jonathan, a big problem I see with those working on these devices is a misunderstanding of the definitions of force, energy, power, work, and potential energy. Magnets in and of themselves do not contain energy that can be extracted, they emit a field which can generate a force when another interacting object such as another magnet is brought within the detectable range of the field. When you force two North sides of a pair of magnets together, you expend energy via the work to push them together, that energy is stored as potential energy (the magnetic force trying to push the magnets apart and the distance over which that force has measurable influence). Given a perfectly frictionless environment and loss-less magnetic cores, a magnet that is brought into close repelling proximity to another will be repelled and gain only the energy that was put into getting it close in the first place. In a real-world scenario, there are significant losses involved, you'd be better off just spinning a disk in outer space with no magnets.. it would spin much longer. Give the thing any load whatsoever like attaching a generator and it will stop very quickly because there is no free energy to be extracted, only the energy that you give it initially.

Things to beware of:
    Self-propelled magnet 'motors' of any kind
    Self charging battery type circuits
    Anything that claims to tap 'zero point energy' or 'vacuum flux energy'
    Over-unity measurements from a device that cannot sustain a load, or itself for a very long period of time

Now, if you find it all fun, feel free to continue having fun and maybe it won't be a waste of your time and you'll pick up some assembly skills along the way, but don't expect anything more.

They do install shields to reduce the interference of the approaching gate, however...the interference is still there, and yes...all magnet motors will be stopped at the gate once friction is introduced.
    Even as I was writing this I was intrigued enough to want to try a prototype.

The thing with the approaching magnet is that you don't actually have to cancel it out entirely - just take away enough of the repulsion effect on the approach, so that the difference in repulsion between the approach and receeding phase is greater than the total resistance (air, hub bearings, etc). I do think you could probably build a wheel with magnets on it that spins on it's own - but I don't think you could get it to drive anything worthwhile without stepping over the critical boundary where total resistances are greater than the difference in 'push' on approach/receeding phase.

Magnetic field 'lines' are all in a loop with a beginning and end inside the magnet. You can shield parts of the field, but it will always be a loop, so without warping spacetime you won't be able to jump to a high field strength zone without first expending the same potential energy of being in that location to get there. Shielding = no gain.

What I consistently see with these devices that that an inventor conceives of a device sufficiently complex as to be past the point where his intuition fails him, builds it, and when it doesn't work he blames it on the bearings or some detail or in some way turns it into a hoax. This results in some brilliant and beautiful designs, but they all slow down and stop.

The only free energy derived by building a magnet motor, is the benefit that the magnet motor receives through your efforts.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay